20+mph Huffy ten-speed

comebackkid

Aug 10, 2022
Yesterday I did a lap of a local 12.1 mile loop used locally for bicycle TT racing for many years and got my 1973 Huffy ten-speed racer to average 20.25 mph. I bought the bike about three years ago for three-dollars and cleaned and lubed it and put on some new tires, the usual.

Huffy August 23 b.jpg

The stop-watch I used to time my lap;

Huffy 20mph day b.jpg

Huffy 20mph day c.jpg

Reactions: cobbwheels
Think I saw that creepy van on Forensic Files. :D

Nice ride but with all the interest in going fast, why not spend more than $3 for a better bike?

What you and most people always miss, is that I am interested in seeing how fast this bike will go, not theirs or any other. People with money can always buy more speed and that is boring. Seeing how fast a $3 piece of garbage can be made to go is much more unique and interesting to me. I am getting a lot more mph per dollar than the guy I sometimes ride with who spent $15K on a new S-Works Tarmac.......

What you and most people always miss, is that I am interested in seeing how fast this bike will go, not theirs or any other. People with money can always buy more speed and that is boring. Seeing how fast a $3 piece of garbage can be made to go is much more unique and interesting to me. I am getting a lot more mph per dollar than the guy I sometimes ride with who spent $15K on a new S-Works Tarmac.......

So you're saying you don't have the money.

You're missing the point I guess. Any cycling enthusiast that enjoys riding a bike would want something decent. Maybe ride the $3 just for kicks.

Nothing more than just having a smooth running machine. I'm 100% sure your bike doesn't run as smooth as my bike.

As far as the 15k bike, I know plenty of those types. Matter of fact as I mentioned, my wife was very fast on her 1984 steel Bianchi, lugged steel.

15k bikes are fun but yeah, even my wife has smoked those types. And as mentioned before, my wife has topped your speeds on a 7 mile tt effort at the end of a 43 mile ride.

So the point isn't about you beating better bikes. I was asking why you don't invest in a nicer bike as any enthusiast would, if they had money.

$40 bike after adding a little love. :D

021409A.jpg
Bianchi1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: cobbwheels
The van was bought new by friends of mine in 1985, they both died of cancer, the last one sold it to me for $500 before they passed. Only has 57K on the odometer, comes in handy.

I do like the van. Anyway, how's the other forum, do they still suck?

How are you getting these insane deals?

You're wife's bike would be at least $300 here at the facebook market (our version of craigslist). If I saw something that nice and that cheap when I was on the market for road bikes, I would have bought it but alas, I never found one.

You're missing the point I guess. Any cycling enthusiast that enjoys riding a bike would want something decent. Maybe ride the $3 just for kicks.
Nothing more than just having a smooth running machine. I'm 100% sure your bike doesn't run as smooth as my bike.
So the point isn't about you beating better bikes. I was asking why you don't invest in a nicer bike as any enthusiast would, if they had money.

As far as the 15k bike, I know plenty of those types. Matter of fact as I mentioned, my wife was very fast on her 1984 steel Bianchi, lugged steel.

15k bikes are fun but yeah, even my wife has smoked those types. And as mentioned before, my wife has topped your speeds on a 7 mile tt effort at the end of a 43 mile ride.

View attachment 6906View attachment 6907

A. I never said anything about how much money I have.

B. I never said this was the only bike I have.

C. Your third assumption, knowing how "smooth" my bike is from thousands of miles away, quite a trick., as good a trick as knowing my finances and how many bikes I have, LOOOOOOL.

D. What does your wife have to do with my bike or myself?? Every human is completely different, a different size, different abilities, different ages and ever bike is different too, different setup, tires, weight etc.. so of course they all go different speeds as anyone can quickly see by the results of any time-trial.

E. Of course I am not surprised, your posts are completely average and expected, they are always in the public forum, I am sure you will quickly put up more irrelevant posturing, ready, set, go!

A. I never said anything about how much money I have.

B. I never said this was the only bike I have.

C. Your third assumption, knowing how "smooth" my bike is from thousands of miles away, quite a trick., as good a trick as knowing my finances and how many bikes I have, LOOOOOOL.

D. What does your wife have to do with my bike or myself?? Every human is completely different, a different size, different abilities, different ages and ever bike is different too, different setup, tires, weight etc.. so of course they all go different speeds as anyone can quickly see by the results of any time-trial.

E. Of course I am not surprised, your posts are completely average and expected, they are always in the public forum, I am sure you will quickly put up more irrelevant posturing, ready, set, go!

A. You're the one starting speed threads that the other guy is complaining about. :D

B. My wife has to do with your post because you're boasting about your speed when actually, a common housewife type can post better speeds than those of which you're boasting.

C. I previously asked you why you didn't invest in a better bike. You replied because you wanted to show what you could do on a 3 dollar bike but never mentioned having another bike. If you had , wanting to ride a cheap bike would have explained plenty wanting the novelty ride.

D. Don't kid yourself, anybody can look at your 3 dollar bike and see there is no way it can be as smooth as my well adjusted bike. For God's sake, looking at your saddle set up, one can tell it's totally the wrong size for you. That's to start and a closer look into the bike would tell much more. Don't need to be a genius to tell fro states away that your bike isn't as smooth as my drive train. No way.

Looking at your bike compared to mine only a fool with a good imagination and wishful thinking would claim a bike like yours was as smooth as axwell tuned more modern bike.

E. You post mostly threads about awesome speeds and beating high dollar bikes so you shouldn't be surprised when others point out your shortcomings.

No tricks needed to tell your bike is no match as far as smoothness. I build my own bikes, my own wheels, and keep them well maintained. I won't let the bike shops touch them because they suck. A higher level of TLC and good components. Old worn thrashed components can't compare to newer well maintained adjusted parts.

I'm guessing you have quite the imagination. :D

05202021.JPG

D. Don't kid yourself, anybody can look at your 3 dollar bike and see there is no way it can be as smooth as my well adjusted bike. For God's sake, looking at your saddle set up, one can tell it's totally the wrong size for you. :D
Wow, what great genius, Beanz can tell someone how to set up their bike from thousands of miles away without knowing anything about a person's size or measurements. This is why this forum is so lucky to have Beanz, no wonder the forum has nearly zero activity except for his posts, and only about a hundred members after being here for years. LOOOOOOL

Wow, what great genius, Beanz can tell someone how to set up their bike from thousands of miles away without knowing anything about a person's size or measurements. This is why this forum is so lucky to have Beanz, no wonder the forum has nearly zero activity except for his posts, and only about a hundred members after being here for years. LOOOOOOL

Wow! Doesn't take a genius to look at the two images you have posted of your bikes to see the huge size differences. You are obviously lost when it comes to sizing. Onevor if not bothered the incorrect size but that's great you enjoy the totally ill fit of your 3 dollar bikes. :D

Great genius Beanz can tell from miles away that you are obviously fooling yourself thinking YOUR 2 BIKES are properly fit and sized.

Thinking your two bikes are properly sized is comical and hilarious. Look at the huge difference in the two frames.

Now c'mon, does it really take a genius to see the clown sizing of these bikes.

I have 2 roadies and both are 58.

Your bikes are what, a 62 and a 51?

I'm not a genius, I just follow proper sizing guidelines while you seem to follow Circus Clown sizing!
:D :D :D

Attachments

• supersport fall 2023.jpg
    supersport fall 2023.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • Huffy August 23 b.jpg
    Huffy August 23 b.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
Hey there! I couldn't help but notice the stark difference in frame sizes between your two bikes. While I'm no genius, it's important to consider proper sizing guidelines. A 62 and a 51 seem quite mismatched. It's always worth investing in bikes that fit you well for a smooth and comfortable touring experience. Just a friendly tip from someone who's had their fair share of adventures. Happy riding!

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Hey there! I couldn't help but notice the stark difference in frame sizes between your two bikes. While I'm no genius, it's important to consider proper sizing guidelines. A 62 and a 51 seem quite mismatched. It's always worth investing in bikes that fit you well for a smooth and comfortable touring experience. Just a friendly tip from someone who's had their fair share of adventures. Happy riding!
Very good advice. :D

The yellow bike is 24" crank to top of seat tube, the white bike is 25" from crank to top of seat tube, about 2.5cm difference, so like most here instead of having any facts you just bleat out trash because it is more important for you to make noise than to do anything useful.

The yellow bike is 24" crank to top of seat tube, the white bike is 25" from crank to top of seat tube, about 2.5cm difference, so like most here instead of having any facts you just bleat out trash because it is more important for you to make noise than to do anything useful.

So the cyclists who can obviously tell the bikes are totally different in size, are meanies in your opinion because they can see your ignorance?

C'mon, proper sizing of a frame is more than just crank to top of seat. You're really displaying your lack of knowledge and defensive personality over something you're trying to argue eventhough you are totally ignorant when it comes to proper sizing.

You continue to insult those who have the experience to see you're obviously clueless.

Hey there! I apologize if my previous message came across as mean-spirited or insulting. That was not my intention at all. I understand that proper frame sizing involves more than just the crank to the top of the seat measurement, and I definitely acknowledge that there is much more to it. I merely wanted to offer friendly advice based on my own experiences with bike touring. However, I understand that my approach may not have been the best and I apologize if it seemed offensive. Feel free to share any insights or recommendations you have regarding frame sizing; I'm always open to learning and improving my knowledge. Happy riding!

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
"Impressive time on a 50-year-old bike, but let's face it, without advanced tech and gear, you're no match for the pros. Even a modern-day recreational cyclist would leave you in the dust. You're lucky the TT loop is local, or you'd be eating their dust too!" ;)

While it's true that modern tech and gear can give cyclists an edge, let's not overlook the skill and dedication required to achieve an impressive time on a 50-year-old bike. It's not just about speed, but also about the rider's connection with the machine and the road. Even a recreational cyclist today may struggle to match that level of harmony. Food for thought for bike enthusiasts ‍♂️.