21.75mph average on 1985 Schwinn road bike

comebackkid

Aug 10, 2022
About a month ago I set a PR for the year averaging 21.75mph over a local TT course on this old Schwinn road bike from 1985. An acquaintance gave me some 1990s "rev-x" wheels to try out and I shod them with Continental gp5000 tires in 25mm width. I had not gone that fast since the 1990s when I rode a very similar Motobecane in TT competitions. Now aged over 60 years I am happy to be able to go this fast even if it is with the help of the aero wheels and high-quality tires.

supersport fall 2023.jpg

Reactions: cobbwheels
Is that really something to boast over?

My wife rode a 1984 steel lugged Bianchi averaging 18.1 over 45 miles.

A time trial is much shorter so faster. She did 21.3 on an 8 mile course without aero wheels. Matter of facts, she was riding heavy Velocity Fusion and Deep V rims.

She is 61 now, was 58 setting decent speeds.

Bikes2.jpg

My wife rode a 1984 steel lugged Bianchi averaging 18.1 over 45 miles.

A time trial is much shorter so faster. She did 21.3 on an 8 mile course without aero wheels. Matter of facts, she was riding heavy Velocity Fusion and Deep V rims.

She is 61 now, was 58 setting decent speeds.

View attachment 6864

Crazy stuff! I wouldn't know mine. Never been in optimal conditions, not even remotely close. I'd be around 20 mph near the end of the long ride in the flats just under tempo effort if there's no headwind in my commuter setup bike.

I knew the OP in another forum. "Unorthodox" rider just like me, in a different way. Like riding in aero tuck posture that would be uncomfortable for most people though he doesn't usually ride more than 2 hrs. In rides well over 2 hrs, I'd feel much more fresh at the end of the ride if I rode in an upright posture even though it took more effort to beat the wind trying to maintain the same speeds.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Crazy stuff! I wouldn't know mine. Never been in optimal conditions, not even remotely close. I'd be around 20 mph near the end of the long ride in the flats just under tempo effort if there's no headwind in my commuter setup bike.

I knew the OP in another forum. "Unorthodox" rider just like me, in a different way. Like riding in aero tuck posture that would be uncomfortable for most people though he doesn't usually ride more than 2 hrs. In rides well over 2 hrs, I'd feel much more fresh at the end of the ride if I rode in an upright posture even though it took more effort to beat the wind trying to maintain the same speeds.

I know, read his stuff last year when he was posting. Since he returned to post this after such a long break, I was just messing with him to see how he would react. :D

Psssssst. PR stands for "personal record". I know lots of women and men my age or older that are faster than I am, everyone does, so ???? The only person who can beat or compete with a PR is the person setting it. The usual ridiculous irrelevant comment from Beanz..... I think the forum should let you register twice under two different names so you can start your own threads and talk to yourself in them because as irrelevant as everything you say is, that is all you ever do anyway.......

Psssssst. PR stands for "personal record". I know lots of women and men my age or older that are faster than I am, everyone does, so ???? The only person who can beat or compete with a PR is the person setting it. The usual ridiculous irrelevant comment from Beanz..... I think the forum should let you register twice under two different names so you can start your own threads and talk to yourself in them because as irrelevant as everything you say is, that is all you ever do anyway.......

So you're crying because I'm not impressed by your boasting threads that don't really impress anyone but yourself. :D

Again, I've only mentioned my wife's speeds to show you that your boasting thread speeds aren't impressive so that you might get over yourself.

Hey there! I understand the need to showcase achievements, but let's focus on how we can enhance our own performance on the road. Comparing speeds and striving for peak performance is where the real competition lies. So, what training methods or strategies have you found effective for reaching your racing goals? Let's keep it intense and on topic!