backpain and bike geometry

piersg

May 1, 2010
Hello all..

This is my first ever post on this forum.
Basically i want to purchase a new bike but im not sure wether to go for a cyclo cross bike or a an XC mountain bike with some slicks. i currently ride about mainly as a mode of transport but i do like getting a sweat on and going fast... i treat it as exercise aswell. the bike ive had for a few years is an XC mountain that is a little too small i believe. i believe this because i feel like my back is hunched up and some times i get a bit of pain in my lower back... so....

Is the geometry of a cyclocross bike likley to offer me less pain in my back because it will be more efficient to ride fast on the road???

or

would an XC mountain bike with slicks that is the correct size for me offer me less pain in my back because of the slightly more upright riding position???

Im just thinking in terms of riding on the road and im not interested in answers relating to off road perfomance or price etc..

Thanks!:confused:

I would think you'd be more comfortable stretched out on a properly sized/fitted cyclocross bike. I've had two back surgeries (L5-S1) and find that even on days when I awaken with back pain which stays with me until the start of my ride (to the extent that it's hard to stand up straight), once I'm on the bike the pain recedes almost immediately, and post-ride it's no longer an issue. Just my experience & thoughts. Others may, and probably will, disagree.

You should bear in mind that it's a general practice to size a cyclocross bike 1 or 2 sizes (cm) down from that same rider's road bike. As a result (assuming you follow this practice), your position on a cyclocross bike will be a bit more upright that it would be on a full-on road bike.

thanks for the insight... i know anything to do with the human body physics is difficult to navigate so im just trying to find out what people think... the pain i have iguess is really more of a discomfort... and obviosly the human body hasnt evolved to ride bikes so any help is greatly appreciated..

so was the surgery related to cycling??

Some people with bad back issues opt for a recumbent. Doesn't sound as if you are in need of one but I just thought I would mention it.

Upper back pain is related to posture and bike fit.

Lower back pain might be attributed to weak recruitment of the quadriceps (from either weak quads or saddle too low or too far back or simply unable to recruit the quads efficiently due to riding posture or other reasons) OR having weak core muscles.

Many people today physically active or not have weak core muscles and you can blame it on sitting in front of a computer many hours a day causing the core muscles to atrophy and get weak over time.

I can do long rides on the road both with gravel bike and XC MTB. The only difference is I'm having discomfort with my hands riding with flat bars. I never liked flat bars why I end up with gravel bike so I have dropbar. But sensations on my back is identical. Makes no difference between MTB or gravel bike.

Hello all..

This is my first ever post on this forum.
Basically i want to purchase a new bike but im not sure wether to go for a cyclo cross bike or a an XC mountain bike with some slicks. i currently ride about mainly as a mode of transport but i do like getting a sweat on and going fast... i treat it as exercise aswell. the bike ive had for a few years is an XC mountain that is a little too small i believe. i believe this because i feel like my back is hunched up and some times i get a bit of pain in my lower back... so....

Is the geometry of a cyclocross bike likley to offer me less pain in my back because it will be more efficient to ride fast on the road???

or

would an XC mountain bike with slicks that is the correct size for me offer me less pain in my back because of the slightly more upright riding position???

Im just thinking in terms of riding on the road and im not interested in answers relating to off road perfomance or price etc..

Thanks!:confused:
For road riding with a focus on reducing back pain, a cyclocross bike may be more suitable due to its geometry, which tends to be more aggressive and efficient for fast road riding compared to an XC mountain bike with slicks. The more upright riding position of an XC mountain bike might alleviate some back discomfort, but if your current bike feels too small and causes hunching, it's likely not the best option for long-term comfort and performance on the road.