Best Way to Carry A Bike Upstairs?

Bunyip

Jul 26, 2004
Perhaps not the most-suited topic for a web forum but maybe you can help? I live in a 3rd floor flat and the bike storage room in my building is currently full so I need to lug my mountain bike up and down 3 flights of stairs each time I ride. The bike itself is not that heavy but being 5'0" in a not-so-spacious staircase makes the task more difficult. I recently got some gloves which made gripping the bike a whole lot easier but I'm wondering if anyone has tips on the best way to carrying a bike upstairs?

Bunyip said:
Perhaps not the most-suited topic for a web forum but maybe you can help? I live in a 3rd floor flat and the bike storage room in my building is currently full so I need to lug my mountain bike up and down 3 flights of stairs each time I ride. The bike itself is not that heavy but being 5'0" in a not-so-spacious staircase makes the task more difficult. I recently got some gloves which made gripping the bike a whole lot easier but I'm wondering if anyone has tips on the best way to carrying a bike upstairs?
i use to live on the 3rd floor as well and had to lug my bike up the whole time..... kept me quite fit though.... found the best way is to carry it like a handbag...over the shoulder.... if you dont' have enough hight, you could always stick your hand in between the top tube and bike.... i tend to have the top tube over the right shoulder, and the left hand on the top tube/ headset to lift the front wheel so that you get the same angle as the steps.... thereby you don't have to lift it that high either.... i found that if i ran up the stairs it made it easier instead of slumping up. feels better to.... good luck... i live on the second floor now, so a lot easier.....

Bunyip said:

I'm a guy so ladies forgive me for intruding on your section.

I agree with what swerwer says, just to add some quick stuff. If the bike hurts your shoulders where the frame is resting, go to your local bike shop and purchase a bike pouch that fits between the top tube and seat tube. it has a padden side to it. Just a thought.

Make sure you hold the handlebars or you'll end up getting a brake lever/handle bar corner in the face. It is not fun, I know....

TrekDedicated said:
I'm a guy so ladies forgive me for intruding on your section.

I agree with what swerwer says, just to add some quick stuff. If the bike hurts your shoulders where the frame is resting, go to your local bike shop and purchase a bike pouch that fits between the top tube and seat tube. it has a padden side to it. Just a thought.

Make sure you hold the handlebars or you'll end up getting a brake lever/handle bar corner in the face. It is not fun, I know....
Options depend on your strength, bike design, bike weight, etc. Here are a few tricks I read and used when I lived on a second floor:

- if you have tight curves, stay outside and keep the bike inside the turns.

- If you like to carry the bike on your shoulder, get a piece of foam pipe insulation at your hardware store, and wrap the top tube with it. There will be much less pressure that way. And old rag on the bike might also protect your sweater/shirt/dress from bike dirt.

- Don't lift the bike to shoulder it. Bend your knees and stay upright, place your shoulder underneath, then lift up.

- If you prefer to lift the bike by grabbing the lower section of the seattube, someone sells a plastic handlebar that can be bolted to a water bottle braze on. I never tried it, but it should offer a better grip (and less sore hands) than the bare tube. Alternately, you might design your own grip.

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for all your advice! All great ideas, and I've found the 'handbag' approach works really well.

Thanks again!

Best,
Jess

Bunyip said:
Hey guys,

Thanks so much for all your advice! All great ideas, and I've found the 'handbag' approach works really well.

Thanks again!

Best,
Jess
What if you have a dropped top tube? I don't see the handbag thing working for me...

Lyz2814 said:
What if you have a dropped top tube? I don't see the handbag thing working for me...
My bike is a monoque i don't have either a top or bottom tube just one piece that runs from headstem to mid seat tube, i am always inclined to carry this with the nose of my seat on my sholder, i usually remove one arm from my top and roll up my top onto my sholder so that the bike seat can sit there comfortably, and remember to hold onto your bars and keep your wheel straight.