best bike for short female rider?

lehmaye

Feb 21, 2011
Okay, so I am approximately 4'10 and looking to buy my first "adult" bike. I live in New York City, and want to be able to ride around on streets instead of driving all the time, so I need a bike with high handlebars and a basket in the front as well as maybe some compartments on the rack of the back wheel.
I am proportionate even though I am very petite, and looking for a bike with a frame that fits me. I usually ride my younger sister's childhood bike (she is taller than me) but I can barely reach the pedals. Needless to say, it's time I upgrade.
I don't know anything about what type of bike would be best for everyday commuting in the city, and I'm hoping to be able to know enough about what type of bike I need so i can buy it by March and gradually replace using my car with using my bike.
So, to sum it up - a bike for a short woman to ride around an urban environment and with room to hold my purse, books, etc.
I appreciate any help and comments!!

You might want to take a look at hybrid style WSD (Women Specific Designed) type bikes. Trek makes WSD bikes as do other brands.

There's been several threads about this in the past and I just did a quick search, and found this thread about bikes for shorter women:

http://www.cyclingforums.com/forum/thread/449021/road-bikes-for-short-people

You might be able just to do some searches on the forum and find the info you want. If not, there are a lot of sharp folks here who should be able to point you in the right direction.

Test ride a lot of bikes and have fun shopping! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

At 4'10 you would be best to get a bike that is specifically designed for females. If you can afford it, one made with a custom made frame would be an even better option.