Carbon seatpost for heavy rider?

wlarrison

Sep 3, 2010
Hi guys,

I just found this forum and am glad to see a section for bigger guys!

I'm 6'4" 235lbs (working on losing the beer gut)

I ride a cannondale six carbon 5 and was looking to change from its wrapped carbon seatpost to a full carbon post. Could anyone give me any advise?

I was looking at the Fizik Cyrano seatpost, but any time I look at carbon gear I get worried that i'm going to break it with my weight.

I reaaaaally don't want a snapped seatpost through my butt :eek:

Do they weight-limit carbon posts? should i be worried?

What would a CF seatpost do that your current seatpost doesn't do?

alienator said:
What would a CF seatpost do that your current seatpost doesn't do?

Is it a myth that it dampens road vibration? It also seems the stock seatpost is a "boat anchor" from people's reviews of it.

Only reason I'm considering it is because my bike is a full carbon bike that has an aluminum seatpost. I figured i'd just finish it out in full carbon if it could support me

wlarrison said:
Is it a myth that it dampens road vibration? It also seems the stock seatpost is a "boat anchor" from people's reviews of it.

Only reason I'm considering it is because my bike is a full carbon bike that has an aluminum seatpost. I figured i'd just finish it out in full carbon if it could support me

How a seatpost behaves is entirely based on its design and construction. There's no specific frequency of vibration that CF posts damp. You can generalize and say that CF tends to damp high frequency vibes, but that doesn't say anything about a specific post, nor does it really specify a frequency range that is damped. High is only a relative term. You have to remember that all seatposts are topped with a relatively massive damping pot: the riders butt. Having used CF, Ti, aluminum, and steel posts, I've found that any difference is about the size of a split hair. The length of a seatpost exposed, as well as its diameter and wall thickness, has much more to do with comfort than anything else. Even then, lowering the inflation pressure of the tires has a much bigger effect. Much bigger, IMHO.

Boat anchor? Weight of a seatpost will make no difference in performance that either you or a power meter could detect. If you have a 15 lb bike and you weigh 150 lbs, a 100 g (I know, I'm mixing unit systems, but this isn't being written for a report or refereed journal) difference in seatpost weights means you lower your overall system weight by a massive 0.13%. That's not a difference I'd concern myself with, but only you can decide how you want to spend your money.

I completely agree with your assessment of weight, etc. At my weight and riding level, I might as well be on a 50lb bike.

I guess I should have posted a more general question: are there weight limits or charts showing what would be best etc. for carbon seatposts, stems, handlebars, etc.

I just want to know if I ever want to upgrade anything, be it for performance, preference, style points, etc.. Will I run into limitations with my weight

wlarrison said:
I completely agree with your assessment of weight, etc. At my weight and riding level, I might as well be on a 50lb bike.

I guess I should have posted a more general question: are there weight limits or charts showing what would be best etc. for carbon seatposts, stems, handlebars, etc.

I just want to know if I ever want to upgrade anything, be it for performance, preference, style points, etc.. Will I run into limitations with my weight

There are no general limits that are placed on CF components. It's up to each individual manufacturer to define what those limits are or will be. What those limits are could depend on design parameters, liability considerations, or both. If you're interested in a particular component, then you'll need to see what constraints the manufacturer places on that component. As an example, I've seen sub-900 gram CF wheelsets that have had no weight limits, while some 1200 gram CF wheelsets have had limits. There is no industry wide standard by which such constraints are placed or defined.

wlarrison said:
Hi guys,

I just found this forum and am glad to see a section for bigger guys!

I'm 6'4" 235lbs (working on losing the beer gut)

I ride a cannondale six carbon 5 and was looking to change from its wrapped carbon seatpost to a full carbon post. Could anyone give me any advise?

I was looking at the Fizik Cyrano seatpost, but any time I look at carbon gear I get worried that i'm going to break it with my weight.

I reaaaaally don't want a snapped seatpost through my butt :eek:

Do they weight-limit carbon posts? should i be worried?

Personal experience: Bought one Broke one!:eek:

I have been riding a Specialiized Sirrus Pro with a Specialized Pavé, advanced carbon, 27.2mm diameter seatpost for about 4 years now with lots of miles on it and zero problems and I weigh 250#. I do agree with the earlier poster that I find no significant / noticeable difference in the seatposts that I have owned over the years in various materials and the weight savings is meaningless as well. I am building a road bike now and I bought a Thomson Elite post that is aluminum. Good luck with your seatpost quest and have a good ride.

Thanks for the info. I also did some more research and picked up a thomson elite post. Like it so far!

Originally Posted by wlarrison .

Thanks for the info. I also did some more research and picked up a thomson elite post. Like it so far!

Good stuff, they do look good /img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif

I have cinelli seatpost, I don't reckon its any lighter than a 10 year old alloy one I have laying around.

http://www.cyclingforums.com/products/cinelli-ram-seat-post

265x265px-LS-7ad38d5c_24965299-cinelli-ram-seatpost.jpg