Chinese students need your help!

Dessque

Apr 9, 2016
Firstly I am a Chinese high school student in 16 age. I will study in a British college in the future.To be honest,my target to study in British is to become a pro and that is my dream.So I will get into the road race while I am a college student.So the following things I need your help. 1.Which college is the best to study and road cycling?Why? 2.Which region will be the best area to cycling?Such as having greatest amauter team and etc. 3.How can I become a pro in UK before 23 age. Thanks to all responsers!

You are just sixteen years old. You are starting too early and that is why you can definitely become a pro at the age of 23. Just keep practising and never lose the motivation to ride. Many people lose motivation and I would not recommend you to become one of them.

You are just sixteen years old. You are starting too early and that is why you can definitely become a pro at the age of 23. Just keep practising and never lose the motivation to ride. Many people lose motivation and I would not recommend you to become one of them.

I agree with the motivation and to guarantee that you will sustain your enthusiasm is to have a support group. Join a cycling club or any organization related to cycling in order to fire up your motivation. I have been joining cycling groups informally whenever I have time to ride. I also agree with the continuous practice and continual training when there is a competition.

Dessque said: ↑
Firstly I am a Chinese high school student in 16 age. I will study in a British college in the future.To be honest,my target to study in British is to become a pro and that is my dream.So I will get into the road race while I am a college student.So the following things I need essay writing service help. 1.Which college is the best to study and road cycling?Why? 2.Which region will be the best area to cycling?Such as having greatest amauter team and etc. 3.How can I become a pro in UK before 23 age. Thanks to all responsers!

Hi there,
I would choose Wolves Cycling Academy, if I were a student. I studied at Goldsmiths College and The Highway Code (Rules for cyclists) was then my basic guide. I hope you managed to become an international student in one of the British colleges.

I disagree with the negative comments, don't even read those because you need a positive mindset. Sure trying to get into racing is tough...VERY tough, I know because I've been there! I only made it to CAT 3 because for one it was very expensive, I needed two bikes, one for back up in case I crashed out my main one but I couldn't afford two and raced many years with just one, fortunately I somehow never crashed, I did buy a backup after about 8 years but then I quit racing abut 6 month after I got that bike. Other expenses included (from memory and I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting) I had to not only pay for my own bikes, but I had to pay for all necessary parts including tires and other parts that are going to fail, I had to pay for my own kit even though it was club kit, racing license fee, I had to pay for ALL travel expenses including gas, food, hotel etc, I had to pay for race entrance fees, and the list goes on. The bike shop I raced for did give us a 20% discount on stuff, but the damn shop still made money off of us, geez I got better deals waiting to get stuff at end of the year sales! In today's world you can get better deals on the internet then some damn bike shop race club discount!! There was no race purse like you can get at amateur auto racing, but even that purse doesn't begin to pay for your expenses you incurred in just one night of racing. I forgot how much all that cost me every year but it was painful. Then 3 of course there was the amount of time needed to train and race, so when my first child came along I was racing still but saw a conflict of interest going on, I wasn't spending much time at home between racing and working, plus I had gotten burned out so I had to quit racing.

Racing is tough, due to time limitations I doubt I could have gone beyond Cat 3, even if I didn't work and spent all my time training and racing maybe (?) I could have gotten as high as Cat 2, and at that level you can get sponsored bikes from manufactures for free, and maybe a bike manufacture kit but that's it, and how people at that level made a little money was at the end of each season they would sell the sponsored bike, and that's all the money they would make racing, not much money being earned for racing. About 95% of my team ( which I found this to be true for most teams, some were 100%) riders came from very wealthy riders...this wealth was parents money, all these riders did was train and race living off their parents, and the parents also gave them money so they could buy the best bikes, so om my team alone the upper wealthy group were riding on $5,000 bikes (this was back in the very early 80's to the mid 90's), myself and a couple of others were racing on around $900 bikes!

Most budding racers get stuck at Cat 3 like I did, some make it Cat 2, very few make it to the pros. Now if you are already very good and are already a Cat 2 racer, and have won some big amateur races in China then your chances of making it to the pros will be better than mine was. Only one person from our club that I can remember made it to cat 2, none ever made the pro level.

You have to try to make your experience fun so you don't get burned out, take time to look at the scenery instead of concentrating all the time on the science while riding, yes you do need to keep track of the science but you don't need to that 100% of the time, joke around with other riders while training, whatever it takes to make you relax. When your done racing or training for the day go home and FORGET about the day, listen to music, or watch a movie, or play video games, or read a book (a non cycling book!), do something to take your mind off of cycling for the rest of the day. I was the team comedian, and that relieved a lot of pressure from not only myself but the rest of the team as well, sometimes the captain would get a little angry with me saying I needed to focus more on racing and quit trying to be funny, I didn't listen to him, we all needed the mental break, and we actually trained and raced better when we were looser than we did when we were serious; I did this in the corporate world too, and the managers actually encouraged me because the performance of the office showed the effects of this. Of course that doesn't mean we were joking all the time, it simply was done when great deal of stress was creating performance issues and we all needed to be loosened up.

The other issue in my day was the extreme pressure to dope, as far as I know no one in our group dope, we were pretty tight knit and probably would have known if someone doped even though we would have never ratted such a person out. But when we were going up against other teams in races were all of the members of certain of teams were doping and winning the races it really put pressure on our team to try to level the playing field by doping ourselves. I had a girlfriend at the time I started and was with her long enough we were still dating when I got to Cat 3, she had a niece who was a world class and ranked #1 world champion tennis player (I will not reveal her name here, so don't try to pressure me on this), who found out from my girlfriend what I was doing tried to set me up with a doping agent so I could make it to the pros! I refused, and she flatly said that I won't ever go pro without the doping. I had no idea how dangerous this doping could be, all I knew was that there was an element of risk and I wanted to live a healthy life for as long as possible and cycling wasn't that important for the risk involved, so doping was off the table. Some say doping is no longer a problem...I seriously doubt that, in fact there have been cyclists, and other sports, where doping has been found, especially from sports teams that come out of China and Russia, so I'm pretty sure that in cycling pretty much all the riders are still running that game of risk, but maybe detection technology is perfect now and that's not happening, but don't forget, when technology is created to combat something someone else develops technology to overcome that technology, so I think doping will be with us for a very long time.

Anyway, Dessque, I wasn't trying to slam you for being Chinese and thus part of the doping ****, like I said I think there are more people involved from ALL countries then we know. But Dessque I do wish you all the best in your pursuits, and I hope you make it pro, and not only make it pro but be one of the top 5 pro racers in the world. I seriously mean that! Good luck to you, if possible keep us informed as to how your doing over the years, I know I for one would be very much interested in knowing. Thanks

Hey, cheers for your post! To become a pro by 23, focus on training and racing, not just college location. Look for clubs/teams in hilly regions like Yorkshire or Wales. Consider a sports degree, and be prepared for hard work and sacrifices. No shortcuts, I'm afraid. ;)

It's great to hear about your passion for cycling and your aspirations to become a pro! For your first question, many British colleges have strong cycling programs and clubs, but I would recommend researching universities with a strong reputation in sports studies, such as the University of Birmingham or Loughborough University. These institutions often have excellent facilities, coaching, and connections to local cycling teams.

As for the best area to cycle, the UK has many scenic and challenging routes, but you may want to consider regions with a high concentration of amateur teams and events, like the Yorkshire Dales or the South Downs. These areas offer a variety of terrains, beautiful scenery, and access to local cycling communities.

Lastly, to become a pro by 23, you'll need to focus on consistent training, racing, and networking. Seek out local amateur teams, attend races and events, and connect with experienced riders and coaches. It's also important to prioritize your studies, as a strong academic record can help you stand out to potential sponsors and teams.

Best of luck on your journey to becoming a pro cyclist! :)

Ah, a young cycling prodigy with big dreams! I can sense your passion and determination, and it's truly inspiring. Let's dive into your questions:

1. There are many excellent colleges in the UK with strong cycling programs. However, the "best" college depends on your specific needs and preferences. I'd recommend researching universities with strong sports science programs, as well as those that have a history of producing successful cyclists. Don't forget to consider location, as some areas may have more opportunities for road cycling.

2. The South of England is known for its vibrant cycling culture, with many amateur teams and events. However, other regions like Yorkshire and the Northwest also have thriving cycling scenes. It's essential to explore different areas and find one that aligns with your goals and preferences.

3. Becoming a pro by 23 is an ambitious but achievable goal. Focus on building a solid foundation through consistent training, proper nutrition, and rest. Seek guidance from experienced coaches and mentors, and be open to learning from others. Remember, success is a journey, not a destination.

Keep chasing your dreams, and I'm sure you'll make an impact on the cycling world! ‍♂️

While your advice is commendable, it overlooks the financial strain. Training, equipment, and travel to hilly regions aren't cheap. A sports degree may not guarantee income either. Let's not forget the potential injuries and burnout. 🐎

Apologies for the financial oversight in my previous post. Yes, cycling can indeed be an expensive sport, with costs for equipment, travel, and training adding up quickly. However, there are ways to mitigate these expenses. Joining a local cycling club often grants access to discounted gear and group training sessions, reducing overall costs.

Additionally, consider part-time work at a local bike shop or coaching younger cyclists to supplement your income. This not only provides financial support but also offers valuable networking opportunities within the cycling community.

Injuries and burnout are valid concerns, but these risks can be reduced with proper training, rest, and a well-rounded lifestyle. Prioritize recovery, maintain a balanced diet, and engage in cross-training activities to prevent overuse injuries.

Lastly, a sports degree doesn't guarantee income, but it can open doors to various job opportunities in the sports industry, such as coaching, sports management, or sports science. The knowledge gained during your studies can also enhance your cycling performance and career prospects.

Ultimately, it's essential to weigh the potential risks and benefits before fully committing to a career in professional cycling.