Commuting - Maybe a new bike?

Ghoul

Jan 23, 2011
Hi guys,
Am new to this forum so any help would be appreciated. I started cycling about 18 months ago on and off and have a Scott Sub 30 bike. I'm about 101kg (220lb) and ride for fitness to work and then catch the train back. My ride is about 30kms (19miles) in length and mostly flat along bicycycle path ways.

Whilst i do enjoy my Scott bike i am thinking of purchasing a new flat bar bike in the hope it will help speed up my times, the bike i am looking at currently is the Specialized Sirrus Pro. Whilst i like the look of road bikes and realised this would be quicker i feel a bit uncomfortable on them for some reason and think i should stay with a flat bar 9although if anyone has any great ideas i would def look at them)

So my question is - worth the upgrade or do you think the difference would be neglidgable?

Thanks everyone

TERRIBLE IDEA. I just googled the scott sub 30, is it not a flat bar bike? if its not fast enough for you, it's you, not the bike. The sirrus pro probably isn't much lighter and at 220lbs, shaving 2lbs off the bike isn't going to help you any. depending what wheels/tires are on your current bike, switching them could provide you some gain. The only major difference between the two bikes is that the specialized has a road crank while your scott seems to have a MTB crank. If you find that your "spinning out" in the big ring on your MTB crank than upgrading to a road crank would be worthwhile. Personally,unless youre commuting with loaded racks you probably should get rid of the mtb crank on the scott. You will need a specific Front Deraileur to make your flat bar shifters work with a road crank. this would be a beter upgrade than a new bike in my opinon.