Do You Feel the Need for Public Art, such as sculptures on cycle routes?

robertdover

Nov 21, 2005
Im doing a research paper into the aesthetic design of cycle ways, any response would be appreciated.

Do you feel you have to enjoy the views of the area which you are cycling? would aesthetic issues such as artwork, views and the space around you help you enjoy cycling further?

robertdover said:
Im doing a research paper into the aesthetic design of cycle ways, any response would be appreciated.

Do you feel you have to enjoy the views of the area which you are cycling? would aesthetic issues such as artwork, views and the space around you help you enjoy cycling further?
I try to avoid paths because of crowded conditions and distracted riders with poor control already, so intentionally placing something along a path that would cause other riders to be even more distracted and more likely to ride erratically wouldn't really appeal to me....

Offering nice places to stop along the way would be nice for families like a sculpture graden or some such thing. Having things to look at while riding, intentionally placed to be viewed is downright silly. Conversely though a sport cyclyst really won't be honkin alone the path either, too damned dangerous.

I'd take public services any day over public art on a ride, like the occasional toilet or water fountain or good places to lock up the bike and sunbath. I personally, like the Burke Gilman trail in Seattle (and probably better from the "public art" perspective is the bit that is called something different as it heads from Kenmore into Redmond.

I like biking through parks in the morning, but generally it's stuff like the old folks doing Tai Chi that makes me happier than the art. I like biking past public gardens where people are growning thier food more than modern sculpture. Let's face facts: Modern Sculpture Art is generally hideous, either brightly painted construction beams or trite bronze childern chasing butterflies or "sitting" on benches.

A friend sent me this link on an art competition in Holland to come up with good and interesting kiosks for bike parking lots. That's my kind of bike future!

http://www.we-make-money-not-art.com/archives/007489.php

Finally, I'll add, another friend recently sent me a link to some bike racks he voted for as a city counciler in Golden, CO. They are giant red bikes, I guess they look kina cool and are certainly noticable, but I thought they looked a tad unfunctional to me. It might be something to look for.

Knox Gardner
www.bikenerd.blogspot.com

I didn't think I wanted to anything but natural scenery until I toured through central Columbia. There's a beautiful side road ride between Cali and Medellin with small billboard reproductions of famous South and Central American artists paintings every 500m or so. The tourist assn. put them up to promote interest in the local art museum.

I also kinda enjoy the small Burma-shave-style signs that provide a funny message or quotes.

I don't need distractions to keep me interested in riding, but I also don't think these particular examples are eyesores.

I support public art, but not necessarily bike related. What is best is what is either natural beauty or the totally unexpected. Like the Musee de Insolite (sp.?) in the Cele Valley 60 or so. km east of Cahors, in SW France. Frank Zappa/ S. Dali meet the cave artists of the paleolythic era....

I've been on both sides of this question. As a member of a city cycling committee which was on a tight budget to get as many bike lanes and paths completed as possible within a tight budget I was against it.

As a tourer who has seen what wonderful and sometimes functional art can be along a rail trail or other bike path I embrace the idea. I believe Sustrans has mileposts sponsored by corporation and therefore at no cost to them.

Artwork has given me valuable information, entertained me and sheltered me from the elements. Say yes to multi-functional design!