I feel like such an outsider...

coolworx

Jun 18, 2003
I come from a backpacker background that gravitated into mtn biking as a weekday thing when I couldn't strap on the ol' Kelty and disappear in the craggy basalt of Western Mass....

Then I discovered BIKEPACKING - but I couldn't (Can't) shake the flat bar (with long curved bar ends). I've gone to a nice hybrid with 700c's (I ride 28mm Armadillos - thin but tough as the nails I regularly ride over) but I just don't see the need for drops!

Most of the bikers I see are riding the damn hoods ANYWAY! And I have that position (even better as I can stretch out my fingers across the bullhorns)

Now... I do think that some Aeros might be nice... but I like my long stem "0 degree" with a flat and flattened out bullhorns

Any other nonconformists out there?

If you scan all the touring forums, you'll find that a good portion of touring bikes (I'd estimate 30%-40%) are set up with flat bars. That's hardly non-conformist :)

But (here's my personal opinion) if you checked with long-distance tourers -- the ones who spend a month or more on the road ("road" is key here) -- more than 90% will be using drop bars. And tourers, in general, are not elitist or purists; what I mean is, they do it for efficiency and comfort, not cuz it's a gang color or sumthin.

Try cycling across Montana into a headwind some day (and the next day, and the next, and the next). Or searching for a fifth hand position after the first four have left your fingers tingling. I can go for 1- or 2-day rides with my mtn bike, but loaded up and headed for the next state, I'll be on drop bars instead. Your long bar ends give a lot of this flexibility, too, but not quite all.

Lots of people have flat-bar tourers, especially for cost considerations (if it means buying a new bike/components), if they're touring partially off-road, or if it's not l-o-n-g distance. There's no bar test (or distance test) to post in the touring forums :) Nope, you're not an outsider. Maybe "touring/trekking" is the purist form of the sport, since people seem to gravitate here from either end of the spectrum -- mtn bikes or light road bikes.

There's something to be said for choosing what's comfortable. If you like your ride, ride what ya got!

-- Mark