Ever road from Paris to Fontainbleau?

jerseyrider

Mar 16, 2005
Has anyone ever ridden from Paris to Fontainbleau? How is the ride (road conditions, traffic, distance , etc) It's the first leg of my trip and the one I am most nervous about. Maps don't really get detailed enough about how I would get there.

Thanks as always!

jerseyrider said:
Answered my own question. Here is a link to a site that gives great directions. Some of you might have used this site as well.

http://www.mayq.com/Cycling_out_of_paris/Route_4_south/Route_4_south.htm
That looks like a pretty good guide. I did the same ride nearly 15 years ago so my memory fails me on the exact route that we took. If you get the Michelin 1:200,000 map No 237, it will be a help also. Follow the D roads and you should be OK. We headed from Fontainebleau to the campground at Olivet which is on a river and was a great place to stay.
How long do you have in France?

Cheers

Geoff

geoffs said:
That looks like a pretty good guide. I did the same ride nearly 15 years ago so my memory fails me on the exact route that we took. If you get the Michelin 1:200,000 map No 237, it will be a help also. Follow the D roads and you should be OK. We headed from Fontainebleau to the campground at Olivet which is on a river and was a great place to stay.
How long do you have in France?

Cheers

Geoff

As insane as it may sound I have only 90% finalized my decision. Initially I had planned on going all the way to Bordeaux. Then I decided to go only to Saumur and then take the train across to Clermont-Ferrand to do the Massif Central. Now I have decided not to do the Massif Central this time and only go to Saumur. Last couple of days I have been pondering going from Saumur to Anders and taking the train to Paris from Anders. Two days in Paris and then back to the US.

Have you gone in this direction before?

Thanks for your reply..

jerseyrider said:
As insane as it may sound I have only 90% finalized my decision. Initially I had planned on going all the way to Bordeaux. Then I decided to go only to Saumur and then take the train across to Clermont-Ferrand to do the Massif Central. Now I have decided not to do the Massif Central this time and only go to Saumur. Last couple of days I have been pondering going from Saumur to Anders and taking the train to Paris from Anders. Two days in Paris and then back to the US.

Have you gone in this direction before?

Thanks for your reply..
Done that ride several times in the past - good roads and lots of tabacs along the way! Nice and easy, just what you need before rock climbing - I take it that is why you are going there!

When are you going, perhaps I could meet you on route? Be a good session for me and the bent and a good climbing session too!

nasz said:
Done that ride several times in the past - good roads and lots of tabacs along the way! Nice and easy, just what you need before rock climbing - I take it that is why you are going there!

When are you going, perhaps I could meet you on route? Be a good session for me and the bent and a good climbing session too!

I'm actually going to the Loire Valley ending my tour in either Saumur or Angers. I'll then take the train back to Paris. Couple of days later - end of Tour de France (very cool!)

I'm starting out of Paris on the 11th.

jerseyrider said:
I'm actually going to the Loire Valley ending my tour in either Saumur or Angers. I'll then take the train back to Paris. Couple of days later - end of Tour de France (very cool!)

I'm starting out of Paris on the 11th.
Hope you don't mind me inviting myself along - bit rude really! Alas, I won't be able to get time off around then :(

Have a great time - it's a lovely area.