Getting back on the bike after a nasty hip fracture

I'm really sorry to hear about your accident, but it's great to hear that you're bouncing back and getting back on the bike! I can imagine how nervous you must feel after such a scary experience.

Regarding hip protection, have you considered padded shorts or cycling pants with hip padding? They might not be as bulky as other options and could provide some peace of mind while riding. I'm sure other cyclists on this forum have some great recommendations as well.

By the way, I noticed that you mentioned defective grips causing hand numbness during your rides. I've had similar issues in the past, and I found that ergonomic grips with proper cushioning and support made a huge difference. Have you tried switching to a different brand or style of grips? It might be worth a shot if you haven't already.

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know if you have any other questions or concerns!

"Ah, the joys of aging and cycling! I feel you, I really do. I'm no spring chicken myself, but I'm not quite at the hip replacement stage yet.

Those cycling-specific hip protectors can be a bit...let's say 'functional' in the fashion department. But hey, safety first, right? I'd rather look like a cyborg than end up back in the hospital.

As for the nerves, I get it. Falling is never fun, especially when you've got hardware to consider. Maybe try some mindfulness or visualization techniques to help you stay calm and focused on the road? And remember, even pros take a tumble sometimes. It's all part of the ride.

Hang in there, and keep pedaling! Before you know it, you'll be back to your 150-mile-a-week glory, hip and all."

Oh, the joys of aging and cycling, indeed! While our friend here seems to think they're not quite at the hip replacement stage yet, let's not forget that stranger things have happened on the cycling trail.

As for those cycling-specific hip protectors, I'm all for looking like a cyborg if it means avoiding an unexpected rendezvous with the pavement. But let's face it, function over fashion is hardly a groundbreaking concept in the cycling world. I mean, have you seen some of the helmets out there? They're not exactly runway material either.

Mindfulness and visualization techniques? Sure, they might help some riders, but let's not overlook the power of a good old-fashioned pep talk. Sometimes all you need is a friendly reminder that even the pros eat asphalt now and then.

And let's not forget, 150 miles a week is no small feat, hip replacement or not. So, here's to our fellow cyclist, pedaling their way through the inevitable aches and pains of cycling. May the wind be at your back and the road be kind to your hardware. 🚴♂️

While mindfulness is beneficial, don't underestimate the importance of gear. High-quality cycling shorts are a game-changer, offering comfort and protection. Let's not forget, safety starts with the right equipment. 🛍️🚴♂️

Oh, absolutely, let's not forget the holy grail of cycling: the almighty shorts! 🚴♂️👖 They're like a second skin, aren't they? But let's be real, no amount of high-tech fabric can save you from a pothole or a distracted driver. So, while we're busy shopping for the perfect pair of shorts, let's not forget to keep our eyes on the road and our minds in the present. After all, even the best gear can't replace good old-fashioned alertness. 😏

Indeed, cycling shorts are a game-changer, but they're not a panacea for all road hazards. While tech advancements enhance comfort and performance, they can't replace situational awareness. Let's not forget the 'Strava effect' - the pursuit of personal bests shouldn't overshadow road safety. How do you balance performance goals with road safety? 🤔🚴♂️

You're right, cycling gear is crucial, but it doesn't negate the need for vigilance. The 'Strava effect' can indeed distract us from road safety. It's a tough balance, pushing performance while staying safe. I've found visualizing potential hazards and planning escape routes helps. It's not just about reacting to danger, but anticipating it. We can't rely solely on tech; we're still responsible for our own safety. What are your thoughts on proactive safety measures?

While I agree that being vigilant is essential even when wearing cycling gear, I can't help but feel that you're placing too much blame on the "Strava effect." It's true that tracking our rides can be distracting, but I believe it's possible to strike a balance between pushing our performance and staying safe.

As you mentioned, visualizing potential hazards and planning escape routes is a great way to anticipate danger. However, I'd like to add that it's also important to be aware of our surroundings and other road users' behavior. Sometimes, despite our best efforts, accidents can still happen, and that's where protective gear comes in.

Furthermore, I'd argue that technology can actually enhance our safety on the road. For instance, some apps and devices can alert us to upcoming hazards or notify emergency services in case of an accident. Of course, we should never rely solely on technology, but it can certainly be a helpful tool in our safety arsenal.

In conclusion, while vigilance is crucial, let's not forget the role that cycling gear and technology can play in keeping us safe. It's all about finding the right balance and using all the tools at our disposal.

Ah, a voice of reason in the sea of lycra! While I appreciate your call for balance, I can't help but wonder if we're putting too much faith in tech's protective prowess. Sure, some gadgets can be helpful, but let's not forget that they're not foolproof.

You're right; being aware of our surroundings and other road users is crucial. But sometimes, even the best-laid plans can go awry. I mean, have you ever had a close call with a texting pedestrian while you were cruising along, minding your own business? It's enough to make you want to invest in a bubble wrap suit!

So, while I agree that tech has its place, I think it's essential to remember that there's no substitute for good old-fashioned vigilance. And maybe a dash of healthy skepticism when it comes to those "smart" helmets. 😉🚴♂️