Great Victory of Chris Horner today at the Vuelta

J-Rod and Horner both put in nice late attacks! Only 28" down on Nibali.

I was watching the Vuelta on Eurosport Deutschland and the commentator said: "peak power estimated yesterday was of "only" about 360 to 380 Watts. So we can be sure that no doping is involved in this race".
When I heard that I was surprised. Commentators being that clear about doping, was not happening before.
But then , that is one of the ways to test for doping. If the performance is not plausible then there is something wrong to start with!
So we can enjoy these battles on all those puertos and altos.
This last week will be epic!

gganio said:
I was watching the Vuelta on Eurosport Deutschland and the commentator said: "peak power estimated yesterday was of "only" about 360 to 380 Watts.  So we can be sure that no doping is involved in this race". When I heard that I was surprised. Commentators being that clear about doping, was not happening before. But then , that is one of the ways to test for doping.  If the performance is not plausible then there is something wrong to start with! So we can enjoy these battles on all those puertos and altos. This last week will be epic!
Sorry, but determining "plausible power output" is not science and does not a fact make. There are many unknowns that factor into a given power output. The reports circulating doing that very same type of analysis--judging whether riders' performances, based on their power output, were suspicious or not--have virtually no scientific merit.

Classic horner grin
big-smile.png

Quote:Originally Posted by steve . 
I don't remember Horner being mentioned in the USADA report. Perhaps he has a naturally high hematocrit and can now finally take advantage of it.

Rider 15 apparently

Quote: Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .
"It's comments like yours that make me want to just punch people in the face. It was a great ride but folks always need to **** on someone's bonfire. ****."

Well, Horner rode for Yohannn and claimed never to have seen doping while riding with (insert favorite doperz name from entire team full of dopers here).

Per Velo News:

"BOULDER, Colorado (VN) — American Chris Horner says he’s never seen doping or doping-related activity on any of the Johan Bruyneel-piloted teams he’s ridden for, from Astana to RadioShack-Nissan."

Just sayin. Don't punch me in the face, bro!

Yup. The Claude Rains/Sgt. Schultz act always sends up alarm bells. Shocked, shocked to hear that doping is going on here.

This is a great day for truth, justice and the American Way!

It only goes to show that by having a heart as large as a football, training harder than everyone else and having survived a serious knee injury...any All American Boy MAML can apply himself, grin and go win the third most important bicycle race on the planet!

A tip of the hat to C. Horner! Dropping climber after climber after climber like it was child's play!

Tonight, we drink!

To Chris Horner!

Marvellous. Just what the sports needs namely a 42yo winner of a grand tour
silly.png

(I don't begrudge Horner his win but like Landis "winning" the miracle stage, like I told david at the time in 2006, let's wait and see).

Quote: Originally Posted by steve .
Classic horner grin
big-smile.png

If you can't grin during a bike race what's the point? You'd just be another jackass doing a job you hated. Here's me dragging my teammate Toby to the line, who btw could win a 6:30am bike race after getting off a waiter shift ending at 2:30am, with no warmup, and on that particular day did. Notice the **** eating grin? Too bad I'm not a pro.

Reactions: limerickman
Did you see Horner release his "Portfolio" today. How do you guys who conjectured he was on an epo feel now? His hct ranges on the lowly ranges of 40-45. I would like to see the results of ALL the riders hct and testosterones though but doubt they'll ever release them. Let see if your heroes release their profile. Healthy scepticism is good in light of history but Christ, you gotta applaud his patience and performance. As has been said , I doubt he has any " biochemical advantage" over the rest of the peloton. Regardless, it was a riveting race with so many different winners and tactics . Dave

Quote: Originally Posted by slowfoot .

Did you see Horner release his "Portfolio" today.

How do you guys who conjectured he was on an epo feel now? His hct ranges on the lowly ranges of 40-45.

I would like to see the results of ALL the riders hct and testosterones though but doubt they'll ever release them. Let see if your heroes release their profile.

Healthy scepticism is good in light of history but Christ, you gotta applaud his patience and performance. As has been said , I doubt he has any " biochemical advantage" over the rest of the peloton.

Regardless, it was a riveting race with so many different winners and tactics .

Dave

A lot of egg on face Dave. The average HCT in the tour a year or two ago was about 43, I think only a few were 48 and above. Guys with Hct around 47 - 49 naturally have a huge advantage from having well chosen parents.

classic1 said:
Quote:Originally Posted by steve . 
I don't remember Horner being mentioned in the USADA report. Perhaps he has a naturally high hematocrit and can now finally take advantage of it.

Rider 15 apparently
... Apparently not.

Then why didn't he just deny it the other week? He's been rather 'disingenuous' of late. No doubt it will come out, either way.

classic1 said:
Then why didn't he just deny it the other week? He's been rather 'disingenuous' of late. No doubt it will come out, either way.
Maybe he thought people would just stop asking or that answering would only dignify the baseless question. Just because the public wants to know something doesn't mean they have a right to answers. Likewise just because the public suspects something--and quite often that suspicion is based on little or no facts--doesn't mean their suspicions deserve a response. At any rate, the public won't believe anything unless their suspicions are confirmed, and that puts cyclists--in this case, Horner--in an impossible position. Frankly, I think one of the significant problems with doping in cycling is the public suspicion run amok. The only answers that the public will accept are those that confirm their suspicions, and as a result cyclists that are clean are just ****ed in the public eye. Chris Froome gets the same treatment.

classic1 said:
From Cyclingnews back in Sept: Cyclingnews: There has been a lot of stuff on Twitter you may or may not have been aware of over the last few weeks. A lot of it speculation, a lot of it unfair but one of the points was the claim you are a redacted name, number 15 in the USADA report. Do you know anything about that? Horner: No I don’t know anything about that. I’d have to read up on it or something.

"Horner: No I don’t know anything about that. I’d have to read up on it or something."

He is also the only 43-year old pro to have never seen doping, never was pressured to dope (despite riding for teams that were notorious for boosting pharma stocks) and...

There is zero evidence Horner doped at this point. 'Clean' until the Orca confession?

Man...when's the last time a Grand Tour winner went without a ride the next season?

He could be radioactive and some kind soul/billionaire would have given him a fare well team seat in years gone by. What's a geezer got to do to earn a little respect from Russian oligarchs these days?

"Chreees! Chreees! You stay retired dis time, da?!