Handlebar tape install help

J5311

Jul 22, 2007
Can anyone help me find out how to properly wrap the bars? I'm sure i know how to do it (due to wrapping drum sticks in band), but there were 2 extra padding strips & i'm not sure where to put them... this is what i got... but black...
270944.jpg

J5311 said:
Can anyone help me find out how to properly wrap the bars?
The extra strips go right behind the brake levers. You fold the rubber brake hoods back a bit to expose the bar and the sides of the lever body. Put those two short strips horizontally across that area. I like to wrap from the ends towards the center so that the tape overlaps with the overlap facing down the bars(kinda like shingles on a roof) that helps keep the tape from peeling back as you ride. Overlap about half the tape width with each wrap and finish near the center of the bars then secure the job with the bar plugs on one end and the short thin tape(or electrical tape) on the other.

daveryanwyoming said:
The extra strips go right behind the brake levers. You fold the rubber brake hoods back a bit to expose the bar and the sides of the lever body. Put those two short strips horizontally across that area. I like to wrap from the ends towards the center so that the tape overlaps with the overlap facing down the bars(kinda like shingles on a roof) that helps keep the tape from peeling back as you ride. Overlap about half the tape width with each wrap and finish near the center of the bars then secure the job with the bar plugs on one end and the short thin tape(or electrical tape) on the other.
ok you said i can go from the end of the bar to the center... and that makes total sence, but to start off, should i wrap it around the end & then put the plug in & continue wrapping? & then cut to length if necassary & secure it w/ electrical tape?

J5311 said:
ok you said i can go from the end of the bar to the center... and that makes total sence, but to start off, should i wrap it around the end & then put the plug in & continue wrapping? & then cut to length if necassary & secure it w/ electrical tape?
Yes, except I wouldn't use electrical tape. Use the two short peices of tape with the Bontrager Logo on them. That's what they were included for.

kdelong said:
Yes, except I wouldn't use electrical tape. Use the two short peices of tape with the Bontrager Logo on them. That's what they were included for.
oOo i see cool........ and the extra peice goes on the top curved part of the drop bars correct? & thanks for the site lots of great info

J5311 said:
oOo i see cool........ and the extra peice goes on the top curved part of the drop bars correct? & thanks for the site lots of great info
well i finished.... wrapping the drum sticks did help & for my first time i dont think i did a bad job