Hit and Run

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Drinky

It seems that the Back to School runs that add so much congestion on the roads are causing the usual
madness of people taking risks. This morning, an oncoming van pulled right across me to turn right
and I went into the side of him at fair old rate of knots.

Rather than stop, he hesitated then put his foot down and sped away leaving me down in the road.

I've been to hospital and had my head/neck/grazes checked out and luckily, everything is OK.

I've also reported it to the police (I have a witness and his registration number). Does anyone know
what course of action the police will take - as I got the feeling that they are not really that
bothered. As my wheels are buckled, heart rate monitor and helmet cracked, clothing & bar tape
ripped etc, I feel that I want to pursue this so I'm not left out of pocket due to no fault of my
own (ofcouse other than being a cyclist).

Drinky

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> It seems that the Back to School runs that add so much congestion on the roads are causing the
> usual madness of people taking risks. This morning, an oncoming van pulled right across me to turn
> right and I went into the side of him at fair old rate of knots.
>
> Rather than stop, he hesitated then put his foot down and sped away leaving me down in the road.
>
> I've been to hospital and had my head/neck/grazes checked out and luckily, everything is OK.
>
> I've also reported it to the police (I have a witness and his registration number). Does anyone
> know what course of action the police will take - as I got the feeling that they are not really
> that bothered. As my wheels are buckled, heart rate monitor and helmet cracked, clothing & bar
> tape ripped etc, I feel that I want to pursue this so I'm not left out of pocket due to no fault
> of my own (ofcouse other than being a cyclist).

I think that unless the driver volunteers himself to the police within a short space of time he has
committed an offence by leaving the scene of a collision in which he was involved. The police
*should* be interested.

Colin

What about if he argues that he didn't know it had happened?

"Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:MPG.19c14326dfad9746989c43@localhost...
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> > It seems that the Back to School runs that add so much congestion on the roads are causing the
> > usual madness of people taking risks. This
morning,
> > an oncoming van pulled right across me to turn right and I went into the side of him at fair old
> > rate of knots.
> >
> > Rather than stop, he hesitated then put his foot down and sped away
leaving
> > me down in the road.
> >
> > I've been to hospital and had my head/neck/grazes checked out and
luckily,
> > everything is OK.
> >
> > I've also reported it to the police (I have a witness and his
registration
> > number). Does anyone know what course of action the police will take -
as I
> > got the feeling that they are not really that bothered. As my wheels
are
> > buckled, heart rate monitor and helmet cracked, clothing & bar tape
ripped
> > etc, I feel that I want to pursue this so I'm not left out of pocket due
to
> > no fault of my own (ofcouse other than being a cyclist).
>
> I think that unless the driver volunteers himself to the police within a short space of time he
> has committed an offence by leaving the scene of a collision in which he was involved. The police
> *should* be interested.
>
> Colin

Colin Blackburn <[email protected]>typed

> >
> > I've also reported it to the police (I have a witness and his registration number). Does anyone
> > know what course of action the police will take - as I got the feeling that they are not really
> > that bothered. As my wheels are buckled, heart rate monitor and helmet cracked, clothing & bar
> > tape ripped etc, I feel that I want to pursue this so I'm not left out of pocket due to no fault
> > of my own (ofcouse other than being a cyclist).

> I think that unless the driver volunteers himself to the police within a short space of time he
> has committed an offence by leaving the scene of a collision in which he was involved. The police

Do you belong to a cycling organisation? They are usually very helpful to their members in this sort
of case (but do not usually act for retrospective members)

The magazines often have advertisements for cyclist-friendly lawyers who might be helpful.

Make sure you list *all* your expenses.

Push, push, push the Plod!

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected] Edgware.

"Drinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What about if he argues that he didn't know it had happened?

Witnesses and an f***ing great dent in his side matching OP's wheel should make short work of
that defence.

10 quid fine and 1 point?

T

"Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Colin Blackburn <[email protected]>typed
>
> > >
> > > I've also reported it to the police (I have a witness and his
registration
> > > number). Does anyone know what course of action the police will take - as I got the feeling
> > > that they are not really that bothered. As my wheels
are
> > > buckled, heart rate monitor and helmet cracked, clothing & bar tape
ripped
> > > etc, I feel that I want to pursue this so I'm not left out of pocket due to no fault of my own
> > > (ofcouse other than being a cyclist).
>
> > I think that unless the driver volunteers himself to the police within a short space of time he
> > has committed an offence by leaving the scene of a collision in which he was involved. The
> > police *should* be interested.
>
> Do you belong to a cycling organisation? They are usually very helpful to their members in this
> sort of case (but do not usually act for retrospective members)
>
> The magazines often have advertisements for cyclist-friendly lawyers who might be helpful.
>
> Make sure you list *all* your expenses.
>
> Push, push, push the Plod!
>
> --
> Helen D. Vecht: [email protected] Edgware.

The "Social Workers" er I mean Police, do something ! You must be joking.

Graham

Drinky wrote:
>
This morning,
> an oncoming van pulled right across me to turn right and I went into the side of him at fair old
> rate of knots.
happended to me 8 years ago. Only difference was I went over the bonnet.
>
> Rather than stop,
he hesitated then put his foot down and sped away leaving
> me down in the road.
I was "lucky" , the driver stopped. I stayed in the gutter searching for the two teeth that had been
knocked out when my open mouth hit the kerbstone.
>
> I've been to hospital and had my head/neck/grazes checked out and luckily, everything is OK.
Glad to hear it's not too serious.

>
> I've also reported it to the police (I have a witness and his registration number).
Get things moving ASAP. Get quotes for all the damage. Get the details from the witness. Does anyone
know what course of action the police will take - as I
> got the feeling that they are not really that bothered.
You will need his insurance details. Send all the details to them. I remember going to St Thomas'
by ambulance and picking the bike up later from an office near the scene where the witness had
left a note.

I got my unions solicitor involved and ended up with 3400pds

davep

Tony W wrote:

> "Drinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > What about if he argues that he didn't know it had happened?
>
> Witnesses and an f***ing great dent in his side matching OP's wheel should make short work of that
> defence.
>
> 10 quid fine and 1 point?

You must be joking. He didn't kill the cyclist.

John B

> It seems that the Back to School runs that add so much congestion on the roads are causing the
> usual madness of people taking risks. This morning, an oncoming van pulled right across me to turn
>
> Rather than stop, he hesitated then put his foot down and sped away
leaving
> me down in the road.
>
>
> I've also reported it to the police (I have a witness and his registration number). Does anyone
> know what course of action the police will take - as
I
> got the feeling that they are not really that bothered. As my wheels are buckled, heart rate
> monitor and helmet cracked, clothing & bar tape ripped etc, I feel that I want to pursue this so
> I'm not left out of pocket due
to
> no fault of my own (ofcouse other than being a cyclist).

This happened to me when I was riding a motorbike. The driver stopped and helped me and since I was
injured he reported it to the police. He was done for due care and fined. Simon

Drinky wrote:

eeeek

>
> Rather than stop, he hesitated then put his foot down and sped away leaving me down in the road.

BTDTGTTS :(

>

Good, but get photo's of any visible wounds. Now.

>
> know what course of action the police will take - as I got the feeling that they are not really
> that bothered. As my wheels are buckled, heart rate monitor and helmet cracked, clothing & bar
> tape ripped etc, I feel that I want to pursue this so I'm not left out of pocket due to no fault
> of my own (ofcouse other than being a cyclist).

Damn right!

Assuminmg he doesn't report it himself, he'll be looking at "failure to stop at the scene of an
accident" and possibly "failing to report an accident where injury has occurred" or similar.

From that point onwards, he's on a losing slope. Get photo's of the bike damage, and some quotes,
from the 3 most expensive LBS's in your area.

List every expense you incurr - tablets, bus fares, taxi's, clothes, taking the bike to the shop for
quote etc etc etc.

Oh, and get a bike friendly solicitor :)

Good luck!

--
Dnc

" Does anyone know what course of action the police will take - as I
> got the feeling that they are not really that bothered. As my wheels are buckled, heart rate
> monitor and helmet cracked, clothing & bar tape ripped etc, I feel that I want to pursue this so
to
>
> Drinky
>
>

If your witnesses corroborate your version then the police will charge him. If he wants to argue
that he didn't know of the accident (which is a viable defence but usually only in relation to very
large vehicles like HGVs,) then he'll have to argue that in court. He would still be charged.

I was hit just a few weeks ago and some helpful poster put me on to www.cycleaid.co.uk who are now
handling my claim.

As for injuries/expenses, ditto as others have suggested. Be bloody nitpicking when it comes to all
that and keep a diary of how your injuries affect you in your normal life each day.

In boca al lupo, YB

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> >
> > Rather than stop, he hesitated then put his foot down and sped away leaving me down in the road.
>

He's comitted the offence immediately he leaves - there is no 'short space of time'. Unless he
shows his licence and insurance document at a police station as soon as possible, he's comitted
another offence.

There's case law for 'as soon as possible' meaning exactly that - someone was held not to have
satisfied this when they went home, had a cup of tea and then went to the police station. I don't
think that was something minor like killing a cyclist though - I think they'd scratched a
magistrates BMW or something similarly grave.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
|/ \|

Coming in late here - you've been given all sorts of useful info by the others. Just wanted to say
I'm glad you aren't seriously hurt. I hope the person who did it & ran gets hauled over the coals.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email Mail sent to it is dumped My correct one can be gleaned from
h*$el***$$n*$d$ot$**s**i$$m*$m$**on**$s$@*$$a**$*ol*$*.*$$c$om*$ by getting rid of the
overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

"Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> The magazines often have advertisements for cyclist-friendly lawyers who might be helpful.

But read the small print. In my case I was bombarded with so much info from a "no win, no fee"
solicitor that I feel it was intended that I get fed up reading it all and would miss the crucial
part that was in fact "no win might be some fees, win and have loads of fees". No such thing as a
free lunch.

Pete

Many thanks for all the advice - it's very much appreciated!

>
> Rather than stop, he hesitated then put his foot down and sped away
leaving
> me down in the road.
>
>
> know what course of action the police will take - as
I
to
>
> Drinky

Status
Not open for further replies.