Is 24 Kmh a respectable Average speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Richard Jones

Is 24 Kmh a respectable speed on a Mountain Bike for a 3 hour ride wich is mainly flat, and just a
few climbs along the way.

I feel Like I am going ok, but I thought I would ask this NG.

I just hate when a Road Bike passes me like I am standing still, but then again this is quite normal
isn't it ? As they have better gearing than a Mountain Bike right ?

Thankyou for any feedback.

Richard

"Richard Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is 24 Kmh a respectable speed on a Mountain Bike for a 3 hour ride wich is mainly flat, and just a
> few climbs along the way.
>
> I feel Like I am going ok, but I thought I would ask this NG.
>
>
> I just hate when a Road Bike passes me like I am standing still, but then again this is quite
> normal isn't it ? As they have better gearing than a Mountain Bike right ?
>
> Thankyou for any feedback.
>
> Richard
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------
It depends on your age and fitness. Covering 72km in three hours seems good to me when I am in my
late 50's but it would be lousy for a clubman racing cyclist.

John Dwyer

> Is 24 Kmh a respectable speed on a Mountain Bike for a 3 hour ride wich is mainly flat, and just a
>
>
>
> I just hate when a Road Bike passes me like I am standing still, but then again this is quite
>
>
> Richard
>
>

I'd be pretty happy but it depends on the road surface. Around the bay (Melbourne) I'd be expecting
to go a bit faster, but on suburban roads (with traffic and traffic lights) and cycle tracks (with
kids and dogs) I'm usually happy with anything over 20km/h. As for the road bike's going past liek
you're standing still I get that on my mountain bike and my road bike so I'm a bit more accepting of
it on the mountain bike (at least I have some excuse).

Dave B.

Greetings Richard, I would say 24 k/mh is quite a respectable speed, my average on a hybrid bike
around the city would probably be around 18-20 k/mh. Road bikes always burn you off, not only do
they have much higher gearing, they also have much lower weight and rolling resistance as well. I
used to like riding a racing tandem and then we would burn them off, at least until I bingled it a
year or two ago. The tandem could average 30 k/mh no trouble. Regards, Ray

Richard Jones wrote:

>Is 24 Kmh a respectable speed on a Mountain Bike for a 3 hour ride wich is mainly flat, and just a
>few climbs along the way.
>
>I feel Like I am going ok, but I thought I would ask this NG.
>
>
>I just hate when a Road Bike passes me like I am standing still, but then again this is quite
>normal isn't it ? As they have better gearing than a Mountain Bike right ?
>
>Thankyou for any feedback.
>
>Richard

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 17:22:24 +1100, John Dwyer wrote:

>> I just hate when a Road Bike passes me like I am standing still, but then again this is quite
>> normal isn't it ?

Also, you don't know (s)he didn't sprint past you on purpose, then stop around the corner and almost
collapse with exhaustion.

That's what happens everytime I do it :)

-kt

--
Kingsley Turner, (mailto: [email protected]) http://MadDogsBreakfast.com/ABFAQ -
news:aus.bicycle Frequenly Asked Questions

Richard Jones <[email protected]> wrote:

> Richard

I really wouldn't worry about it.

Wherever you go there are going to be people who are faster and people who are slower. Like
somebody already said, quite often when a road bike blasts past, they've used all their energy just
to do that.

What's important for me, is that I've done a better job than last time. What other people are doing
is just not my concern.

I've been riding regularly now for about 7 years and until a few months ago I would've been
averaging 25-26 on the road bike so your 24 sounds fine. For some reason, now I'm averaging 28-29 on
every ride. Even so, sometimes another road bike will breeze past me.

I've found a HRM is a great toy to help you keep your own pace and not worry about what other riders
are doing.

Also, remember that your 24km/h is a _LOT_ more exercise than most people are getting these days :)

Cheers.
--
Nick

>

Did you enjoy the ride? Yes? Good. That's what counts.

Now, so you don't say I didn't answer your question, 24kph is a good speed but it depends on MANY
factors. You say "on a mountain bike" - does this mean on an mtb on the road or off road? BIG
difference! Were there traffic lights? Did you stop for punctures? Lunch? Have you spent the last
five years training for 3 hour rides? Did you specifically set out to achieve the best avg. speed in
3 hours or is that just what you saw on your computer when you got home? Makes a big difference if
you want to get a fast average BEFORE you go out for a ride. Are you a 26 y.o. professional racer or
a 82 y.o. Norm who has just bought his first bike since being 10 y.o.? Were those few climbs freeway
on/off ramps or were they Mont Ventoux and Col de la Madeleine ? Did you finish the TdF the day
before or have you rested for a week before riding?

I ride an mtb, an ss mtb, a road bike and a track bike. I pass people on all of them. I am passed
while riding all of them. On the same day, I may pass someone and they may pass me later. It just
depends on if you can be bothered chasing and how much speed you have in your legs at the time. If
you can smoke someone, cool. If they can smoke you - cool. It's all good! :)

hippy forgot to sleep last night, dribble mode=on

"kingsley" wrote:

> Also, you don't know (s)he didn't sprint past you on purpose, then stop around the corner and
> almost collapse with exhaustion.
>
> That's what happens everytime I do it :)

I'm well and truly on the *heavy* side, and I also like to maintain a constant effort and cadence up
hill and down. So I'm forever being overtaken up hills and then sometimes I get to overtake again on
the other side :)

I always average between 19 and 22 kph on my hybrid, usually regardless of the ride distance (from
20 to 100 km). My eldest son (early 20s, quite fit) manages to average about 25 kph on his MTB with
his growling knobbly tyres.

John

"NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I've been riding regularly now for about 7 years and until a few months ago I would've been
> averaging 25-26 on the road bike so your 24 sounds fine. For some reason, now I'm averaging 28-29
> on every ride.

Which reminds me... using slicks on your mtb rather than knobbies should push your average speed up
by at least 3kph, probably more - it did for me. Throw some cash towards a set of slicks for you
next tyre purchase and you can BUY a speed increase :)

hippy

Gee Hippy, I just asked for a simple answer , not your life story.
"hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Richard Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Is 24 Kmh a respectable speed on a Mountain Bike for a 3 hour ride wich
is
> > mainly flat, and just a few climbs along the way.
> >
> > I just hate when a Road Bike passes me like I am standing still, but
then
> > again this is quite normal isn't it ? As they have better gearing than a Mountain Bike right ?
>
> Did you enjoy the ride? Yes? Good. That's what counts.
>
> Now, so you don't say I didn't answer your question, 24kph is a good speed but it depends on MANY
> factors. You say "on a mountain bike" - does this mean on an mtb on the road or off road? BIG
> difference! Were there traffic lights? Did you stop for punctures? Lunch? Have you spent the last
> five years training for 3 hour rides? Did you specifically set out to achieve the best avg. speed
> in 3 hours or is that just what you saw on your computer when you got home? Makes a big difference
> if you want to get a fast average BEFORE you go out for a ride. Are you a 26 y.o. professional
> racer or a 82 y.o. Norm who has just bought his first bike since being 10 y.o.? Were those few
> climbs freeway on/off ramps or were they Mont Ventoux and Col de la Madeleine ? Did you finish the
> TdF the day before or have you rested for a week before riding?
>
> I ride an mtb, an ss mtb, a road bike and a track bike. I pass people on all of them. I am passed
> while riding all of them. On the same day, I may pass someone and they may pass me later. It just
> depends on if you can be bothered chasing and how much speed you have in your legs at the time. If
> you can smoke someone, cool. If they can smoke you - cool. It's all good! :)
>
> hippy forgot to sleep last night, dribble mode=on

It sounds pretty good to me. I am a 63 year old cyclist that has been
riding regularly for 2 years and averaging 500 km per month on a mountain
bike.
When I ride for 3 hours on a fairly flat ride on a sealed road I would
average about 21 km/h.
Joseph
>
>
>
>
>
> Richard

"hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Snip
>On the same day, I may pass someone and they may pass me later. It just depends on if you can be
>bothered chasing and how much speed you have in your legs at the time. If you can smoke someone,
>cool. If they can smoke you - cool. It's all good! :)
>
> hippy forgot to sleep last night, dribble mode=on
>
Snip

Have to agree on the "smoking" but I approach it somewhat differently. I try to vary my route to
work early in the morning on the mountain bike (semi-slicks at 60 psi) and either follow the Yarra
Trail all the way to the city, or sometimes I detour and follow Yarra Boulevard. There are generally
quite a few roadies out at that time of morning so there is ample opportunity for mind games and hi-
jinks........

A couple of times I have settled into an easy pace and waited for someone to overtake me......a
friendly roadie usually obliges on an uphill and I give him 5 to 10 metres before I stop bludging
and start to put in. I usually move up to about 1 metre behind and 1 metre to the left (wide bike
lanes) so that they know that i am not bludging off their slipstream and then I pace them for a
while. Generally I wait until the last and longest uphill that heads up to a stop sign at the top
and then I put in a big effort to pass and then drop them....Next comes the hard part.....try to
keep the good speed up for the last 50m or so whilst trying to look like I am just out for a Sunday
arvo cruise (legs are burning at this stage). Is pretty good when said roadie is on super expensive
bike and is only out for a ride (ie no backpack for commute to work).

Only problem is that every now and then I come unstuck and I am not even able to make up the initial
10 metres.....big reality check.....hehe. I guess it could also be argued that said roadie is
training within specific heart rate limits and is sticking to his guns despite my inability to do so
(can't resist a challenge).

When I was in Canberra, used to do similar thing with the two kids in a bike trailer (the secret is
to sit upright and say g'day as you go past). Also managed it a few times with my left leg in a cast
(waterproof, gortex-lined)....gotta love it.

Gags

"Billy Jnr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Gee Hippy, I just asked for a simple answer , not your life story.

hehe sorry.. the point I was trying to make was that it is very hard to give a yes/no answer to your
question with all the variables involved.

hippy

"Gags" <drgagnon@nospam_ozemail.com.au> wrote in message news:rWNQb.955
> When I was in Canberra, used to do similar thing with the two kids in a
bike
> trailer (the secret is to sit upright and say g'day as you go past). Also managed it a few times
> with my left leg in a cast (waterproof, gortex-lined)....gotta love it.

I was at the track a couple of weeks ago and met a friendly dude (sorry, forgotten his name) there
who had a false leg. I have two working legs. We did an effort together. He beat me. Respect!. :)

hippy

Even though 24 Kmh seems pretty good for an average speed to me, you're always going to be slow on
the MTB for several reasons. The most significant differences are that the rolling friction is much
greater on mountain bikes than road bikes and you are much less aerodynamic due to your posture.
Wind resistance accounts for roughly 90% or the total resistance at one's maximum speed.

Example of my average speeds on a flat commute: My mountain bike with 2.5" knobbies: 15mph (24 Kmh)
Same bike with 1.25" slicks: 17 mph (27 Kmh) My single-speed road bike: 19 mph (30 Kmh) - more time
to enjoy my morning coffee!

-Collin

"Richard Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>
>
>
>
> Richard

"Collin O'Neill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:qVmRb.4970
> My single-speed road bike: 19 mph (30 Kmh) - more time to enjoy my morning coffee!

Can you supply any details of this bike? What frame, what gearing, where do you ride?

I have a SS mtb already and a candidate in the garage just begging for a road bike SS conversion...

hippy bwahahaha... spanners at the ready!

Reynolds 501 frame and fork (Peugeot) 700c x 28 kevlar-belt tires on Mavic rims, 14 gauge spokes,
Specialized sealed bearing hubs (rear freewheel) Specialized cranks and chainring - 52 teeth Rear
sprocket is an ACS Claws freewheel - 18 teeth Old Campy bottom bracket Old Weinman sidepull
cantilever brakes with newer Shimano Alivio levers. The rear axle is solid, front is quick-release
Dropout spacing is 126 mm I weigh 210lbs (95 kilos)

I did not do the work, but I if it didn't require redishing the wheel it would be easy to convert at
home. I also took it to a mechanic because the frame was bent, the axle snapped, half the spokes
bent, chain ruined and derailleur destroyed when a plastic bag got sucked into the derailleur on a
very windy day. Because the derailleur hanger was completely gone and I use the bike almost
exclusively for commuting on flat ground, someone suggested converting it to a single speed and I am
glad I took the suggestion!

The ride I normally make is 4.5 km each way on flat ground in varying intensities of wind with many
stop lights in Chicago, US. Dave B mentioned riding around the bay in Melbourne and I've driven that
route while visiting Australia. I think this bike would be ideal for that ride.

You've probably run into the problem of getting proper chain tension with vertical dropouts on the
MTB - not so with an old road frame! It's also incredibly smooth. Proper chainline in the key to the
smoothness. The freewheel is really beefy and durable. The ACS Claws are medium-low end but I
suspect I'll never have to replace them, and servicing is just a matter of dripping oil into them if
they seem dry.

Maybe you experienced this with the MTB, but I found that I ride with slightly higher gear than I
used with my old twelve-speed simply because there is less internal friction. Compared to my MTB
with knobby tires riding is effortless.

Happy wrenching!

-Collin

"hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Collin O'Neill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:qVmRb.4970
> > My single-speed road bike: 19 mph (30 Kmh) - more time to enjoy my
morning
> > coffee!
>
> Can you supply any details of this bike? What frame, what gearing, where do you ride?
>
> I have a SS mtb already and a candidate in the garage just begging for a road bike SS
> conversion...
>
> hippy bwahahaha... spanners at the ready!

Reply-To: [email protected]

am 24.01.04 schrieb Richard [email protected]:

>Is 24 Kmh a respectable speed on a Mountain Bike for a 3 hour ride wich
is
>mainly flat, and just a few climbs along the way.

I don't use a MTB, but I think its okay. When I go on long trips with my racing bike I normally
don't go faster.

>I feel Like I am going ok, but I thought I would ask this NG.

If you feel ok its ok.

>I just hate when a Road Bike passes me like I am standing still, but then again this is quite
>normal isn't it ?

In a flat area they can go faster, but you can beat them at the hills. Many of those fast riders are
bad climbers.

>As they have better gearing than a Mountain Bike right ?

AFAIK the technic is equal, but a MTB is built from climbing and off road. A road bike is only build
to go fast.

When it comes down to it i would say that deciding your speed is good or not really depends on too many factors to judge whether you are riding well or not.

I mean for example i might go for a 40 minute ride on my road bike where i am averaging around 34kmph but then go for longer rides at about 28kmph, and also living in perth the riding conditions can be pretty varied because it is often really windy, especially down on the coast where i might ride 8kmph or so slower than inland.

The best way to judge whether you are going a reasonable speed in my opinion is what it feels like after the ride!

If you finish the ride and find that you dont feel tired or sore then you probably arent pushing yourself hard enough. Just try as hard as you can in the circumstances that you are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.