looking at selling road bike need advise

spiekera

Feb 18, 2007
I have a Vitus 979 road bike. That I don't ever ride and it's a shame to have this beautiful bike sitting in my basement. I have never sold anything online, my ex-husband always did that. Any advise on some really good places to post it? The bike was custom built for $1700.00 and I have had it upgraded since I bought it 6yrs ago. And can someone explain how to measure everything. :eek: I don't know what size anything is. Thanks a bunch!!!

spiekera said:
I have a Vitus 979 road bike. That I don't ever ride and it's a shame to have this beautiful bike sitting in my basement. I have never sold anything online, my ex-husband always did that. Any advise on some really good places to post it? The bike was custom built for $1700.00 and I have had it upgraded since I bought it 6yrs ago. And can someone explain how to measure everything. :eek: I don't know what size anything is. Thanks a bunch!!!
use as a guide as per attached.

As per the above illustration...the part that the seat is bolted to is the seat post,it's not the most important size but the diameter is nice to know.
The part of the frame that the seat post fits into is the seat tube.
The length of the seat tube is one of the measurements that most buyers will be looking for. The tube running from the top of the seat tube towards the front of the bike is also an important measurement.
The stem is the part which the handlebars are clamped into. Measure the length of this.
The wheel size is usually shown as a diameter...on a road bike,usually (but not always) 700mm. The size is on the side of the tires.
As it was a custom build the height and weight of the person it was built for should also be useful measurements for prospective buyers. Upgraded parts should be listed if you know them.
Plenty of decent photos are also appreciated, showing the front and rear brakes and derailleurs and wheels. You really can't have too many photos.
Sorry, can't advise on where to list it, apart from ebay (this forum has a classified section of bikes for sale though)...different countries.
And the brand/model of the gears, brakes, wheels,saddle are also useful.

spiekera said:
\

A good description, photos and it will probably sell on "craigslist" http://craigslist.org/about/cities.html. It's free and a great community of people. I've sold on it, and the nice part is most people pick up and you can request cash etc... I'd like to say I've bought, but I can't seem to find what I've been looking for. When I do, it be from there. But good luck, it's the way to go

Yes I've sold a bike on Craigslist. But beware of scammers. I had one reply to mine twice (using different email addresses). The first email was very legitimate looking. He asked all the right questions. size of the bike, condition, method of payment etc.

The second email was all scam... "I really want to buy this bike, but I'm going out of the country for a wedding and can't get a hold of my shipper. So I'm going to send you a money order for $900 (my asking price was $450) I want you to take out your $450 and wire the rest to my shipper."

I heard of this scam many times, the check is bad and you're out the money you sent on.

Caraigslist is good, but just be careful. Bye the way, I did sell my bike for the asking price and I got cash.

RussB said:
Yes I've sold a bike on Craigslist. But beware of scammers. I had one reply to mine twice (using different email addresses). The first email was very legitimate looking. He asked all the right questions. size of the bike, condition, method of payment etc.

The second email was all scam... "I really want to buy this bike, but I'm going out of the country for a wedding and can't get a hold of my shipper. So I'm going to send you a money order for $900 (my asking price was $450) I want you to take out your $450 and wire the rest to my shipper."

I heard of this scam many times, the check is bad and you're out the money you sent on.

Caraigslist is good, but just be careful. Bye the way, I did sell my bike for the asking price and I got cash.

...and that's the to do it! Local pick up only is crucial, especially on a 1700.00 bike. You want definately meet, greet and size up your buyer or you might as well list it on ebay...