power update

tomUK

Oct 20, 2003
Hello -

Today I borrow my friends bike again - he has a power meter fitted that has just been recently calibrated.

I started at 160W and increased the power by 20W every minute. My maximum power (sustained for 1 minute was 410W). I also, got a new Max HR - 188 (the most I had got in the past was 184). I am 5'11 and 67Kg. 28 years old.

Is this output respectable and worthy to race with? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Originally posted by tomUK
Hello -

Today I borrow my friends bike again - he has a power meter fitted that has just been recently calibrated.

I started at 160W and increased the power by 20W every minute. My maximum power (sustained for 1 minute was 410W). I also, got a new Max HR - 188 (the most I had got in the past was 184). I am 5'11 and 67Kg. 28 years old.

Is this output respectable and worthy to race with? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.
:)

Hi Tom your powere HR output are all relative to your fitness i.e are you a racer, leisure cyclist etc. To set things into perspective LAnce Armstrong supposedly rode Alpe D'Huez in 2001 at 450 watts, while remaining be;ow his threshold!

that is a good power output to end at for that test.
you should be able to hang with the 4s no problem, especially since you weigh less than most of them. did you notice what your power was when your breathing became labored? that is about your lactate threshold power, a very important figure to determine racing sucess. anything above 260w and you should be able to race well in the begining cats.

when i did that test(Feb 03), i finished about the same power you did. i am an average cat 3 in new england. i weigh 72kg

Originally posted by tomUK
Hello -

Thanks.

What kind of powermeter and was the test performed on a trainer?

Assuming that the power data is from either an SRM or Power Tap, that are both calibrated correctly (I'm not sure on the accuracy of certain other meters yet, as i haven't completed testing them fully) and your mass and height were measured on calibrated scales and stadiometer, then 410 W at 67 kg is pretty decent.

this gives a power to mass^0.67 ratio of 24.5 W/kg^0.67 or a power to mass ratio of 6.1 W/kg. These figures are indicative of being a 2nd category road rider and higher. it's important to note, that some 'weaker' riders will be higher category and 'fitter' riders will also be 2nd cat as results (in RRs) aren't entirely dependent on either MAP (which you've measure) or power at LT or TT power (which you haven't measured). In the case of RRs (etc) peak power (sprints), tactical ability, skill, and plain old luck also plays a part.

a few years back i had the same MAP and mass, was a 2nd cat, and scored all my points in E/1/2 or 2/3 category races (the 3 cat only races i did before i upgraded i scored no points due to my dire sprinting 'ability'). this would suggest that this power is adequate for a reasonable level.

as an aside, for GB (male over 23) team selection (amongst other variables) you need to score 26 W/kg^0.67, which is 435 W for your mass, i.e. you're about 5% less fit than the minimum international standard.

if you're figures are correct, and you have rudimentary bike skills and can sustain a reasonable % of your MAP (70% or greater) you will rip to pieces all 4th cats (except those who have the same ability as you and are in a similar position to yourself, i.e. beginning racing) and most 3rd cats too

Ric

Thank you for the reply.

Now I have got this figured out and am chasing peak fitness, how do I find races to ride? Bearing in mind I am based in Oxfordshire.

Anyone know of an event schedule?

Thanks.

Most likely there's very few races on until mid March when the season proper gets underway. races (in the UK, where Tom is!) are listed in the British Cycling magazine/handbook and on their website and in some cycling magazines. if you're intending to do TTs then these will be listed in the CTTC book/website

good luck

Ric