Speed limits?

islandboy

Jun 15, 2005
What is your response when a car passes you (illegally) when you are already exceeding posted speed limits? :mad:

My gripe comes from a rash of recent incidents where I have been passed (occasionally honked at) while taking the road when travelling at 45 to 60 kph. Most of the time in areas of corners or double lines. The last truck passed when I was travelling 7 kph over the PSL. It is as if they "need to pass" the bicycle. :eek:

Seems that the motorist sees bicycle and assumes bicycle must be only moving 10kph: must pass or it'll slow me down. Nothing worse for a motorist than a delay.

Why are you upset about someone breaking the law when you are breaking the law?

Not upset about the legality of the speed :D , more the danger of passing near or through corners. :eek: I take the road at speeds over 45 km so they do not try to "squeeze pass" which leaves me no escape to the right (except ditch travel) :rolleyes:

My response has been to prepare to avoid a collision (slowing, moving to the right if safe, or checking the ditch for a soft landing
rolleyes.gif
). I am looking for a better way to deal with it.

Lately I have had a number of these vehicles try coming back into the lane beside me when they realise the on coming lane has a vehicle coming around the corner - the worst was a woman who passed on an inside corner nearly did a head on with a school bus neither of us could see till we were in the corner. :confused:

It does not seem to be the route, wether I am traveling with or without panniers. I have beeen riding for years (+ 5,000 km annually) and it seems this year drivers are a noticeably more reckless. :rolleyes: