Understanding the training effect of 2 minute efforts

Originally Posted by hrumpole .
In doing this, I find three interval days per week is mentally difficult. 2 interval days per week is a lot easier, even if there are two more longer rides built in.
Just to add context to those unfamiliar with Time Crunch, this is describing 1) a steady state session of 12+min intervals, 2) a bonafide "interval" day of the 3 minute variety, and 3) an over/under interval session on the weekend.

Ironically, outside of two longer endurance days and maybe a sprint day, this was the traditional racers diet for about 2 decades if you substituted the over/under session for race day.

Hrumpole, not only do the intervals get tiring, the downside is that almost any plan will contain intervals to some degree in this capacity, unless the plan is just to ride more. Which btw is my new plan for the Tour of Catskills.

Yeah, but that one race day's the reason for all those intervals. That's the payoff.

I would like to substitute one group ride for an interval session. RIght now, though, as I'm trying to figure out the PM and how I respond to stimulus, I figure I'd best just suck it up and follow the plan for at least the recommended 8 weeks as best I can. It's tough tho-today, it's 100 with high humidity, so i went to the gym for a spin class as a substitute, figuring that it would be easier than working out in the basement on the trainer, which is really f'ing hot. The gym, as luck would have it, was even hotter.

My hope is that I'll make it through all of the PIs this weekend. Last weekend I made it through 7.25 out of 8, and then understood what he meant by "legs in concrete and breathing through a straw..." On Sunday, I plan to up the saddle time to 3 hrs or so, even though the plan suggests limiting to 2-2.5.

Originally Posted by danfoz .

Old guy you got that about the mental bit, and I agree lots of miles. The miles imo make the mental bit.
So I guess doing mountainous double centuries on about 10 hrs a week of training would make me really mental ;)