vehicle lights

e0richt

Jul 10, 2006
about 20 years ago they used to sell cheapie turn signal lights for bicycles.
Now with the output from LED's you would think that they would make a "commuter kit" light package. light (in terms of weight) with the LED output for
turn signals, head lights (both blinking and to see the road...) and rear blinking light but I haven't seen anything like that?

anyone else seen anything like that?
any thoughts about having something like that?

I wouldnt go for it (with the blinking turning lights) to be honest. More **** to pull off the bike prior to racing, more batteries to check, more money to spend, and more to break when you rub skin with tar. :eek:

Look, dont get me wrong, its a good idea, (and its not a harsh or criticising (sp) reply, but its hard to get tone and emotinn over e-mail) but will motorists see and pay attention to another blinking light on a bike. I give the old arm out and point in the direction im turning, and stare at any oncoming drivers eyes. Even then, I dont feel safe. I flash like a bloody dance floor. 2 flashers front and rear, the one on the rear flashes onto hi-intensity reflective tape (2 inch wide) and a Netti saftey vest, and I still dont get seen when turning. "Get off the road F witt" is quite common. Mainly after scaring the **** outta some drivers :D

e0richt said:
They still do! They are in many of the trade catalogues. :eek:

There are V-brake pads with LEDs and battteries. ;)

e0richt said:
Now with the output from LED's you would think that they would make a "commuter kit" light package. light (in terms of weight) with the LED output for
turn signals, head lights (both blinking and to see the road...) and rear blinking light but I haven't seen anything like that?

anyone else seen anything like that?
any thoughts about having something like that?
Ahead of you there is a cyclist with 'x' blinkies on.

He/she is narrower than a car

There is an amber blinkie flashing - which way are they turning? Will you spot the blinkie and realise it is a direction indicator?

LeojVS said:
I wouldnt go for it (with the blinking turning lights) to be honest. More **** to pull off the bike prior to racing, more batteries to check, more money to spend, and more to break when you rub skin with tar. :eek:

Look, dont get me wrong, its a good idea, (and its not a harsh or criticising (sp) reply, but its hard to get tone and emotinn over e-mail) but will motorists see and pay attention to another blinking light on a bike. I give the old arm out and point in the direction im turning, and stare at any oncoming drivers eyes. Even then, I dont feel safe. I flash like a bloody dance floor. 2 flashers front and rear, the one on the rear flashes onto hi-intensity reflective tape (2 inch wide) and a Netti saftey vest, and I still dont get seen when turning. "Get off the road F witt" is quite common. Mainly after scaring the **** outta some drivers :D
hmmm well first, I wouldn't suggest that they be put on a "racing bike". Similar to not having the full "street legal" setup on a "dirt bike" motorcycle.

It would be more for a "commuting" type of bike "vehicle" and yeah people still
don't look out for us but thats true for motorcyclists and they have a full set of light gear. Would it help someone to have these things so that they could "drive" more similarly to any other type of vehicle?

beatupoldvet said:
Ahead of you there is a cyclist with 'x' blinkies on.

He/she is narrower than a car

There is an amber blinkie flashing - which way are they turning? Will you spot the blinkie and realise it is a direction indicator?
well, a motorcycle is more narrow than a car I would think so... then it comes down to how one would adapt it to a bicycle without being too cumbersome. I remember there was a safety light that was about 3 ft long that would hang off either a chain or seat stay in order to get cars to "notice" and pass safer...

I would think with the new LED tech that we could have almost a "motorcycle" setup for being street legal without the similar weight...