Altnaharra camping?

Jim Willsher

Guest
Hi all,

Prospect of seeing the golden globe in the sky this weekend, so might
aim for Hope/Klibreck. Anyone know of any camping options in the area,
e.g. Altnaharra?

Plan to drive to Lairg on Friday evening, then Altnaharra and climb
Klibreck Saturday. Camp, then climb Hope on Sunday and drive home.

Cheers,

Jim

Jim Willsher wrote:

> Prospect of seeing the golden globe in the sky this weekend, so might
> aim for Hope/Klibreck. Anyone know of any camping options in the area,
> e.g. Altnaharra?

There's not much of anything "civilised" around there, find a bit of
ground not too far from a burn (but not too near one either, with recent
weather!) and there's your campsite.

the pictures at http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/tdn5.htm show
you the general character of the area.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:37:44 +0100, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Jim Willsher wrote:
>
>> Prospect of seeing the golden globe in the sky this weekend, so might
>> aim for Hope/Klibreck. Anyone know of any camping options in the area,
>> e.g. Altnaharra?

>There's not much of anything "civilised" around there, find a bit of
>ground not too far from a burn (but not too near one either, with recent
>weather!) and there's your campsite.
>
>the pictures at http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/tdn5.htm show
>you the general character of the area.
>
>Pete.

yeah, I figured that might the case. I'm more than happy with that
approach! I just hope the weather is good, as I've been "saving" these
two!!!

Jim

Under the Land Reform Act you should also be away from any habitation
but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

As said plenty rough camping sites in area.

All the best.

www.caledoniahilltreks.com

Jim Willsher wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Prospect of seeing the golden globe in the sky this weekend, so might
> aim for Hope/Klibreck. Anyone know of any camping options in the area,
> e.g. Altnaharra?
>
> Plan to drive to Lairg on Friday evening, then Altnaharra and climb
> Klibreck Saturday. Camp, then climb Hope on Sunday and drive home.
>
> Cheers,
>

> Jim

There's a great site at Durness and another at Tongue, though these may
be a bit out of your way. If you fancy a wild camp, there's a spot on
the moors just above the final drop into Tongue (That'll be the "king of
campsites" (c) C&R MacDonald).

You might struggle to get a decent site away from the road between Ben
Hope and Altnaharra. I've seen tents at Altnaharra, just beside the
hotel. Might be worth asking before you go.

druidh

"Jim Willsher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> Prospect of seeing the golden globe in the sky this weekend, so might
> aim for Hope/Klibreck. Anyone know of any camping options in the area,
> e.g. Altnaharra?
>
> Plan to drive to Lairg on Friday evening, then Altnaharra and climb
> Klibreck Saturday. Camp, then climb Hope on Sunday and drive home.
>
> Cheers,

This is one of my options for this weekend, if the weathers right, I am
intending camping on the top, have always wanted to watch the passage of
night from the most northerly Munro at this time of year!

Failing this I may go into Glen Afric.

Just been looking at the 18z gfs runs for the weekend, and they are showing
very little cloud, it certainly is looking quite promising, however i do
have some concerns over the nw air movemnent, could bring in some
troublesome cloud!

Stuart wrote:
> "Jim Willsher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>Prospect of seeing the golden globe in the sky this weekend, so might
>>aim for Hope/Klibreck. Anyone know of any camping options in the area,
>>e.g. Altnaharra?
>>
>>Plan to drive to Lairg on Friday evening, then Altnaharra and climb
>>Klibreck Saturday. Camp, then climb Hope on Sunday and drive home.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>

> This is one of my options for this weekend, if the weathers right, I am
> intending camping on the top, have always wanted to watch the passage of
> night from the most northerly Munro at this time of year!
>
> Failing this I may go into Glen Afric.
>
> Just been looking at the 18z gfs runs for the weekend, and they are showing
> very little cloud, it certainly is looking quite promising, however i do
> have some concerns over the nw air movemnent, could bring in some
> troublesome cloud!

Hope it works out. I was lucky enough to see the annular eclipse from
the top of Ben Hope 2 years back - a real "once in a lifetime" spectacle.

druidh

druidh <[email protected]> writes:

>There's a great site at Durness and another at Tongue, though these may
>be a bit out of your way. If you fancy a wild camp, there's a spot on
>the moors just above the final drop into Tongue (That'll be the "king of
>campsites" (c) C&R MacDonald).

The campsite at Tongue was shown on our map but when we arrived it turned
out it had closed several years ago. Luckily the local hotel had a room
because I wasn't up to much more cycling at that point!

Roos

druidh wrote:

> There's a great site at Durness and another at Tongue

On last year's cycle tour we were planning to camp at Tongue, but before
we went /too/ far down the hill we though we'd check final directions
with one of the natives, who said it had closed a couple of years ago.

We'd just done over 60 miles with full touring luggage, and decided B&B
was the Correct Answer on that occasion (at the Ben Loyal Hotel, which
did a very good venison casserole for dinner too).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:58:59 GMT, druidh <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Stuart wrote:
>> "Jim Willsher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>Prospect of seeing the golden globe in the sky this weekend, so might
>>>aim for Hope/Klibreck. Anyone know of any camping options in the area,
>>>e.g. Altnaharra?
>>>
>>>Plan to drive to Lairg on Friday evening, then Altnaharra and climb
>>>Klibreck Saturday. Camp, then climb Hope on Sunday and drive home.
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>

>> This is one of my options for this weekend, if the weathers right, I am
>> intending camping on the top, have always wanted to watch the passage of
>> night from the most northerly Munro at this time of year!
>>
>> Failing this I may go into Glen Afric.
>>
>> Just been looking at the 18z gfs runs for the weekend, and they are showing
>> very little cloud, it certainly is looking quite promising, however i do
>> have some concerns over the nw air movemnent, could bring in some
>> troublesome cloud!
>>

>Hope it works out. I was lucky enough to see the annular eclipse from
>the top of Ben Hope 2 years back - a real "once in a lifetime" spectacle.
>

>druidh

I was ascending Carn Eighe at the time (very early start). Didn;t see
the eclipse per se, but we did see very weird lighting.

Jim

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 20:46:04 GMT, druidh <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Jim Willsher wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Prospect of seeing the golden globe in the sky this weekend, so might
>> aim for Hope/Klibreck. Anyone know of any camping options in the area,
>> e.g. Altnaharra?
>>
>> Plan to drive to Lairg on Friday evening, then Altnaharra and climb
>> Klibreck Saturday. Camp, then climb Hope on Sunday and drive home.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>

>> Jim

>There's a great site at Durness and another at Tongue, though these may
>be a bit out of your way. If you fancy a wild camp, there's a spot on
>the moors just above the final drop into Tongue (That'll be the "king of
>campsites" (c) C&R MacDonald).
>
>You might struggle to get a decent site away from the road between Ben
>Hope and Altnaharra. I've seen tents at Altnaharra, just beside the
>hotel. Might be worth asking before you go.
>

>druidh

Summer Walkers?.....

Not sure about forecast now, as both metcheck and metoffice can;t make
up their minds. Bloody long way to go to get a misty summit!

Jim

"Jim Willsher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 20:46:04 GMT, druidh

<[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Jim Willsher wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Prospect of seeing the golden globe in the sky this weekend, so

might
> >> aim for Hope/Klibreck. Anyone know of any camping options in the

area,
> >> e.g. Altnaharra?
> >>
> >> Plan to drive to Lairg on Friday evening, then Altnaharra and

climb
> >> Klibreck Saturday. Camp, then climb Hope on Sunday and drive

home.

Hi Jim, Hope all is well with you. I have now done both these hills
twice and last time arrived late to Klibreck, about 2 pm. Did the
ascent and was back at the road by 6 pm. drove to Ben hope and camped
by the side of the river on a super flat bank just about 100 mtrs or
so north of the Ben hope starting point. Got the car right beside the
river. this meant an early start on hope and we summitted before 8:30
am and a glorious landscape view as the sun came up. ( went on to do
Fionn Beinn the same day but that is another story ). hope you get
the weather ok this weekend, we are hoping to head back to Torridon so
fingers crossed

--
Cheers
Graham

284/284 125/219 http://graham-ingram.fotopic.net

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 23:01:38 +0100, "Graham Ingram"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Jim Willsher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 20:46:04 GMT, druidh

><[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>might

>area,

>climb

>home.
>
>Hi Jim, Hope all is well with you. I have now done both these hills
>twice and last time arrived late to Klibreck, about 2 pm. Did the
>ascent and was back at the road by 6 pm. drove to Ben hope and camped
>by the side of the river on a super flat bank just about 100 mtrs or
>so north of the Ben hope starting point. Got the car right beside the
>river. this meant an early start on hope and we summitted before 8:30
>am and a glorious landscape view as the sun came up. ( went on to do
>Fionn Beinn the same day but that is another story ). hope you get
>the weather ok this weekend, we are hoping to head back to Torridon so
>fingers crossed

Hi Graham,

Changed plans. Instead....drove to Contin on Fridya night and camped,
then on Saturday climbed Meall Cean Dearg in Glen Carron. Fabulous
day. Drive to Loch maree and camped at the freebie SNH campsite, then
climbed Beinn Eighe on Sunday (just the peak nearest the road). Then
drove home. Two fabulous days!

Jim

268/284

Jim Willsher wrote:

>Drive to Loch maree and camped at the freebie SNH campsite

Where's that and what are the facilities?

"Jim Willsher" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Changed plans. Instead....drove to Contin on Fridya night and camped,
> then on Saturday climbed Meall Cean Dearg in Glen Carron. Fabulous
> day. Drive to Loch maree and camped at the freebie SNH campsite, then
> climbed Beinn Eighe on Sunday (just the peak nearest the road). Then
> drove home. Two fabulous days!
>

> Jim
>
> 268/284

Meall Cean Dearg .one of my favourite view points. a most impressive summit
cairn with superb views over Liathach and Beinn Damph, in fact probably the
best view of Beinn Damph. Is the Bthy still an open one?

What was the weather like on Saturday?, the ewbcams at Glascarnoch and Ben
Nevis showed lots of low cloud till after 6pm

I nearly decided not to go away this weekend, then had a change of mind late
Sat evening, decided to risk something in the eastern glens, set of 10:30pm
arrived Glen Muick 2am, rather worryingly it rained all the way from
Blairgowrie to Braemar with a pea souper going over the top at that ski
place! A few hours kip then up at 8 to clear blue skies and a perfect
summers round of Loch Muick. Fish Supper at Stonehaven then home by 1am

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 13:54:09 +0100, Phil Cook
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Jim Willsher wrote:
>
>>Drive to Loch maree and camped at the freebie SNH campsite

>Where's that and what are the facilities?

It's about 1/4 mile outside Kinlochewe. Facilities are basically zilch
- toilet block with cold water, and no showers. But it's free. I think
it's a ploy to get you to camp there instead of wild-camping, but it
served out purposes. A word of warning though, it gets my vote for the
most midgie-ridden campsite around. It even beats Torridon!

Jim

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:19:39 +0100, "Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Jim Willsher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> Changed plans. Instead....drove to Contin on Fridya night and camped,
>> then on Saturday climbed Meall Cean Dearg in Glen Carron. Fabulous
>> day. Drive to Loch maree and camped at the freebie SNH campsite, then
>> climbed Beinn Eighe on Sunday (just the peak nearest the road). Then
>> drove home. Two fabulous days!
>>

>> Jim
>>
>> 268/284

>Meall Cean Dearg .one of my favourite view points. a most impressive summit
>cairn with superb views over Liathach and Beinn Damph, in fact probably the
>best view of Beinn Damph. Is the Bthy still an open one?
>
>What was the weather like on Saturday?, the ewbcams at Glascarnoch and Ben
>Nevis showed lots of low cloud till after 6pm
>
>I nearly decided not to go away this weekend, then had a change of mind late
>Sat evening, decided to risk something in the eastern glens, set of 10:30pm
>arrived Glen Muick 2am, rather worryingly it rained all the way from
>Blairgowrie to Braemar with a pea souper going over the top at that ski
>place! A few hours kip then up at 8 to clear blue skies and a perfect
>summers round of Loch Muick. Fish Supper at Stonehaven then home by 1am

The weather was brilliant. We left Contin at aroun 8:30, and were
walking just before 11:00 (a very late start for us). By then the
summits were all clear, and the cloud was breaking. We spent aroun 20
minutes on the summit in t-shirts and shorts, and we got totally
sunburnt. Needless to say, our ascent on Spidean Coire nan Clach on
Sunday was with lots of suncream!!!

Trip reports at www.jimwillsher.co.uk (scroll to bottom of main page,
or click the Hills link).

Jim

> Hi Graham,
>
> Changed plans. Instead....drove to Contin on Fridya night and

camped,
> then on Saturday climbed Meall Cean Dearg in Glen Carron. Fabulous
> day. Drive to Loch maree and camped at the freebie SNH campsite,

then
> climbed Beinn Eighe on Sunday (just the peak nearest the road). Then
> drove home. Two fabulous days!
>

> Jim
>
> 268/284

Hi Jim

Could have waved at you on Saturday morning as we were on the two
Torridon Corbetts Sgorr nan Lochan Uaine and Sgurr Dubh. The views
from SnLU at 12 noon were superb with Liathach and Beinn Eighe
dominating the North but superb views over Beinn Liath Mhor ( site of
my fall in 2000 ) and onto Meal Chean-dearg. In fact We remarked how
rounded the top of MCD is compared to BLM when seen from this angle.
We also had a great day and the afternoon sun just made it better.
Driving past Beinn Eighe on the way out just reinforced the need to
return to this mountain to do the whole ridge using two cars. I am
assuming you got both Munros then descended straight back to the road,
This is the way we did it a few years back but I have always wanted to
take a day and do the entire ridge, specially after being on its
outlying Corbett Ruadh-stac Beag a couple of weeks ago. definitely
good to get back to Torridon, probably my favourite mainland walking
area

--
Cheers
Graham

284/284 125/219 http://graham-ingram.fotopic.net

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:52:33 +0100, "Graham Ingram"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Hi Graham,
>>
>> Changed plans. Instead....drove to Contin on Fridya night and

>camped,
>> then on Saturday climbed Meall Cean Dearg in Glen Carron. Fabulous
>> day. Drive to Loch maree and camped at the freebie SNH campsite,

>then
>> climbed Beinn Eighe on Sunday (just the peak nearest the road). Then
>> drove home. Two fabulous days!
>>

>> Jim
>>
>> 268/284

>Hi Jim
>
>Could have waved at you on Saturday morning as we were on the two
>Torridon Corbetts Sgorr nan Lochan Uaine and Sgurr Dubh. The views
>from SnLU at 12 noon were superb with Liathach and Beinn Eighe
>dominating the North but superb views over Beinn Liath Mhor ( site of
>my fall in 2000 ) and onto Meal Chean-dearg. In fact We remarked how
>rounded the top of MCD is compared to BLM when seen from this angle.
>We also had a great day and the afternoon sun just made it better.
>Driving past Beinn Eighe on the way out just reinforced the need to
>return to this mountain to do the whole ridge using two cars. I am
>assuming you got both Munros then descended straight back to the road,
>This is the way we did it a few years back but I have always wanted to
>take a day and do the entire ridge, specially after being on its
>outlying Corbett Ruadh-stac Beag a couple of weeks ago. definitely
>good to get back to Torridon, probably my favourite mainland walking
>area

Hi Graham,

We were constrained by time so we just climbed the single Munro. I've
climbed the other peak via Coire Mhic Fearchair in the past. Likewise,
I will do the whole ridge one day.

Jim

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:19:39 +0100, "Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Is the Bthy still an open one?

It is, yes.

Al
--