TR Stob Coire a'Chearcaill

G

Graham Ingram

Took the Corran Ferry then turned North up to Stronchreggan. There is a lay-by ( not a passing
place) about 50 mtrs North of the start with space for about 5 cars so parking was not the problem I
expected. Took the track but left it at 058 728 and cut straight up the hill by what looks like the
most obvious route on the ground. Once the ridge is gained this is a superb high level ridge walk
over Braigh Bhlaich with stunning views all round. The air clarity was brilliant specially towards
Ben Nevis. The positioning of this Corbett is excellent to give a great perspective of the Mamores
and Glencoe plus all local hills. The summit itself was also a bit of a surprise as the headwall of
the corrie is near vertical with some fantastic gullies just dropping right off the summit into
nothing. Beware of this edge if up here in the snow ! To add interest to the day and not just
retrace the outward route we descended first South, then South East to follow the ridge on the
southern side of the Glen to form a delightful horseshoe round Gleann Sron a' Chreagarn.

Yet again another Ardgour Corbett provided a superb short days walking

--
Cheers
Graham

"Where the eagles cry, On a mountain high"

284/284 69/219

Return email ~ REMOVE to reply

Nice one... One of my favourites, its in Ardgour so it has to be. The summit crag has finally been
visited by the ice warriors and yielded some good routes... Shame about the road building on the
northern slopes of the hill.

I used the wee ferry from Fort Bill. Bit of a walk in from this though.

Richard Webb

In article <[email protected]>, graham.
[email protected] (Graham Ingram) wrote:

> Took the Corran Ferry then turned North up to Stronchreggan
To be different, I did this hill from the North yesterday. Not as fine a day of hillwalking, but a
nice quick hill for a winters day. We expected a strong north wind, so decided it was best to ascend
with the wind at our backs. As it turned out, there wasn't much wind at all! Parked by the cattle
grid, then along the fence line to an upper gate in the deer fences. Followed a line of old fence
posts to the ridge and then a short distance along the ridge to the summit. Just over 2 hours up.
I'm sure it would be a boring walk in the summer, but with a slight snow cover it was very pleasant.
The summit crag is impressive covered in snow! As we ate our sandwiches on the summit it cleared and
we had stunning views to the west, north and over to the Ben. A great view point! Descended roughly
the same way, about an hour and 10 minutes back to the car! 4 hours round trip. A fine and
surprising hill!

cheers, Rob

"Rob Milne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> To be different, I did this hill from the North yesterday. Not as
fine a
> day of hillwalking, but a nice quick hill for a winters day. We expected a strong north wind, so
> decided it was best to ascend
with the
> wind at our backs.

I have often tried this strategy but some how the wind never seems to be exactly as expected on
the hill !

>As it turned out, there wasn't much wind at all! Parked by the cattle grid, then along the fence
>line to an upper
gate in
> the deer fences. Followed a line of old fence posts to the ridge and
then
> a short distance along the ridge to the summit. Just over 2 hours
up.
> I'm sure it would be a boring walk in the summer, but with a slight
snow
> cover it was very pleasant. The summit crag is impressive covered in
snow!
> As we ate our sandwiches on the summit it cleared and we had
stunning
> views to the west, north and over to the Ben. A great view point!

The views from here are superb over Loch Linnhe

> Descended roughly the same way, about an hour and 10 minutes back to
the
> car! 4 hours round trip. A fine and surprising hill!
>
> cheers, Rob

"Graham Ingram" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "Rob Milne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> To be different, I did this hill from the North yesterday. Not as
> fine a
>> day of hillwalking, but a nice quick hill for a winters day. We expected a strong north wind, so
>> decided it was best to ascend
> with the
>> wind at our backs.
>
> I have often tried this strategy but some how the wind never seems to be exactly as expected on
> the hill !

I find it helps to try and have your ridge/plateau walk (if you have one) such that you have the
wind in your back. I always take this into account on a windy day. I was accused by a number of
baggers I passed in the Monadh Liath of doing the peaks "the wrong way". i.e. not the way explained
in the SMC book! But by the grimaces on their faces I think I had the more enjoyable walk.

On a single hill you can sometimes find an ascent with no wind on account of it blowing into the
hill from the other side. Difficult to predict that one.
--
Adrian