To get rear suspension, or not to get rear suspension

niceguymr

Jan 21, 2006
OK... After having spent considerable time researching and going to a few bike shops, I've narrowed my search down to 2 bike choices; one with rear suspension, and one without (see below). The only things is determining do I actually need a rear suspension. The main use for my bike will be riding around on paved trails and ocassional off road trails, however if I ever decide to get serious about off road, I want the bike to be built well enough to handle it.

I have some questions though... By going with a hardtail, does the rear portion of the bike (wheel and components) endure more stress, wear, and tear due to the greater amount of shock? If so, I would think that would be reason enough to go with a rear suspension model. If I get a rear suspension that can be locked down, isn't it just as good as getting a hardtail (just more money and more things that can break)? I'm really having a tough time with this decision...

Anyway, the 2 bikes that I'm considering are:

a) Specialized Stumpjumper Disc

b) Specialized FSRxc Comp

Also, how much below MSRP should I expect to pay from a local bike dealer?

niceguymr said:
OK... After having spent considerable time researching and going to a few bike shops, I've narrowed my search down to 2 bike choices; one with rear suspension, and one without (see below). The only things is determining do I actually need a rear suspension. The main use for my bike will be riding around on paved trails and ocassional off road trails, however if I ever decide to get serious about off road, I want the bike to be built well enough to handle it.

I have some questions though... By going with a hardtail, does the rear portion of the bike (wheel and components) endure more stress, wear, and tear due to the greater amount of shock? If so, I would think that would be reason enough to go with a rear suspension model. If I get a rear suspension that can be locked down, isn't it just as good as getting a hardtail (just more money and more things that can break)? I'm really having a tough time with this decision...

Anyway, the 2 bikes that I'm considering are:

a) Specialized Stumpjumper Disc

b) Specialized FSRxc Comp

Also, how much below MSRP should I expect to pay from a local bike dealer?

I'm not going to offer an opinion as to which bike to buy, but I'll answer part of your question regarding rear suspension. One of the most important factors of rear (or any) suspension is increasing the contact your wheels have with the ground. This primarily gives you added control and also happens to reduce the toll on your body.

Hardtails tend to be cheaper, lighter, and have better components for the price then dual suspension bikes. The big question is whether or not the riding you do warrants the dually.

I'm a big proprietor of buying what you want so if you find you're really lusting for one of the bikes and not so much the other, I'd consider the one I really want provided you really know that's the one you like.

Postie said:
I'm not going to offer an opinion as to which bike to buy, but I'll answer part of your question regarding rear suspension. One of the most important factors of rear (or any) suspension is increasing the contact your wheels have with the ground. This primarily gives you added control and also happens to reduce the toll on your body.

Hardtails tend to be cheaper, lighter, and have better components for the price then dual suspension bikes. The big question is whether or not the riding you do warrants the dually.

I'm a big proprietor of buying what you want so if you find you're really lusting for one of the bikes and not so much the other, I'd consider the one I really want provided you really know that's the one you like.
I guess I'm just trying to figure out whether If I get the dual suspension if I would have any regrets (other than having spent more money than I needed) if I don't actually use it (the rear suspension) much?

Your budget seems to be around 3k, why not got the Stumpjumper FSR 120? I've read that it can be used for anything (including lockout so it rides like a hardtail). But that's one serious bike, on my wishlist for sure!
I've got a Specialized Hardrock (2001 model) I've done alot of off road riding on it (mainly xc style) and it's been good - the forks could be better though. Hardtails are probably more enegry efficient if you will be riding on the road alot. I would go for a duallie if you consider comfort more important & reckon youll get into off road riding a bit.
Personally if I had more than 2k to spend I would be looking (or seriously considering) a duallie for my next bike. Basically for more comfort & control off road.
But yes I can see your dillemma with the two bikes you have chosen. Have a ride of them both if you can & see which feels better to you. The stumpy has better quality components & would make a great pavement bike / xc racing machine. I suppose keep in mind wether this is a purchase for keeps or will you be selling in a few years time to get the latest & greatest, then choose accordingly as parts will wear out & need to be replaced down the track.
I have never before ridden a duallie, so my advice comes form experience with hardtails only and what I've read.

no I realize that, I only thought of it after I posted - if your referring to the 3k it's Australian Dollars!

niceguymr said:
I guess I'm just trying to figure out whether If I get the dual suspension if I would have any regrets (other than having spent more money than I needed) if I don't actually use it (the rear suspension) much?

Would you regret having dual suspension if you may not often use it? That's a tough one that no one could probably answer other then yourself.

I haven't looked at the dual Specialized however, for myself, spending more cash for more weight and potentially lower components would suggest the hardtail might be the better deal. What I do know is that there's nothing wrong with a hardtail. A 5 pound weight loss on a mountain bike (say, 30 lbs to 25 lbs) is a very noticeable difference. If it were me and I thought that dual suspension was "the bomb", then I'd buy it so that I never regret it. At that point, it wouldn't matter if I ever used it (the rear suspension that is) or not.

If you've already narrowed your choice to those two bikes, that's great, buy one of those two. However, if you're still open to look around, Giant offers great prices for similarly spec'd bikes and they too, are great bikes.

sounds like you dont neccessarily "need" full suspension for the type of riding you say you would be doing, it seems a bit overkill if you ask me... if you are riding mostly paved trails i would lean towards the hardtail. full suspension bikes are designed to soak up bumps on rough terrain so that you can go faster, turn faster, etc.... if you will not be using the bike off road, get a hardtail... simple.

oh, and both bikes are well built and would exceed your expectaions, it just depends on what you really think you need to have fun on your rides.

Thanks guys for all your input. I was able to obtain an incredible deal the other day on a brand new 2005 Stumpjumper FSR 100, so I went with that. After upgrading the brakes to AVID BB7s, I ended up paying only $1200 for everything(that's less than what I was previously planning on paying for either of the 2 models I mentioned previously). I realize that I probably would have been fine without the rear suspension, but for the price I was able to get this bike, I couldn't pass it up.

niceguymr said:
Thanks guys for all your input. I was able to obtain an incredible deal the other day on a brand new 2005 Stumpjumper FSR 100, so I went with that. After upgrading the brakes to AVID BB7s, I ended up paying only $1200 for everything(that's less than what I was previously planning on paying for either of the 2 models I mentioned previously). I realize that I probably would have been fine without the rear suspension, but for the price I was able to get this bike, I couldn't pass it up.
Let me know how the Stumpy rides!! I'm allowed to get a new bike at the end of the year (thanks hubby) and am thinking of either upgrading alot of stuff on my current bike (2001 specialized hardrock comp) or getting a dual suspension bike - and the stumpjumper FSR is high on my wishlist.

Sounds like you've got a great buy - definitely a good time of the year to be in the market for a new bike!