Garmin GPSMap 60C/60CS/60Csx

Ken

Guest
Hi All
Has anyone experience with these GPS's. I am led to believe thhat they
should work in vertical position, ie fastened to the shoulder strap on the
front of a rucksack.(easily reachable) I have a Garmin vista at the moment
and it loses tracking more than it sees it when on the front of the rucksak.
On the top it has no problem, but I cant get at it without taking the
rucksack off.
Any help appreciated.
Ken

Ken wrote:
> Hi All
> Has anyone experience with these GPS's. I am led to believe thhat they
> should work in vertical position, ie fastened to the shoulder strap on the
> front of a rucksack.(easily reachable) I have a Garmin vista at the moment
> and it loses tracking more than it sees it when on the front of the rucksak.
> On the top it has no problem, but I cant get at it without taking the
> rucksack off.
> Any help appreciated.
> Ken

Ken,

I've got the Garmin Etrex Legend, and also find it loses satellites.
However, I have found a way round this - I have it on the neck lanyard,
and just throw it round so it sits on top of my rucksac. As it is
waterproof, the rain doesn't bother it. All I need to do is find the
correct lanyard around my neck (amongst the compass lanyard, the
binoculars, the platypus, etc :) and drag it round to read it. I then
throw it back on top of my rucksac when I've finished looking at it.

Geoff

I have a GPSMap 60C - works best in a vertical position as the aerial
is placed at the top of the unit - not a patch aerial on the back on
some of the Garmins. The new "x" range sounds very good so I'd have no
hesitation in recommending.

Phil

I have a Legend C which I keep either on my waist belt on my winter sack, or
on my shoulder strap on my summer sack. Never had any real problems with
reception. What are you carrying it in?

news:[email protected]...

Ken wrote:

> Has anyone experience with these GPS's.

I've got the 60CS.

> I am led to believe thhat they
> should work in vertical position, ie fastened to the shoulder strap
> on the front of a rucksack.

Yep, it's very convenient. Comes with a belt clip which fixes easily to a
belt or rucksack strap.

It also sits vertically in the dashboard mount in the car, which is a very
good reason for needing to work vertically.

If using the built-in compass (which I rarely do) it needs to be held flat,
which is at odds with the best reception, but to be honest, if I've got a
clear view of the sky, holding it flat doesn't seem to impair reception
much. It tends to be in forests where reception is boderline that holding
it flat can be a problem. It can make the difference between getting a weak
signal from a satellite or losing it.

In practice, when I look at it whilst walking I probably hold it diagonally,
halfway between flat and vertical, since holding it up high to look at it
vertically would get a bit tiring after a while! It's only if I need the
best reception that I do that.

Paul

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 11:35:01 -0000, "Ken" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hi All
>Has anyone experience with these GPS's. I am led to believe thhat they
>should work in vertical position, ie fastened to the shoulder strap on the
>front of a rucksack.(easily reachable) I have a Garmin vista at the moment
>and it loses tracking more than it sees it when on the front of the rucksak.
>On the top it has no problem, but I cant get at it without taking the
>rucksack off.
>Any help appreciated.
>Ken

See my reply in sci.geo.satellite-nav.

BTW Great idea to find out how to cross-post rather than multiple
post which you have done. Then all replies arrive where you can see
them. magic.

see http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/crospost.html for example.

wrote:

>Hi All
>Has anyone experience with these GPS's. I am led to believe thhat they
>should work in vertical position, ie fastened to the shoulder strap on the
>front of a rucksack.(easily reachable) I have a Garmin vista at the moment
>and it loses tracking more than it sees it when on the front of the rucksak.
>On the top it has no problem, but I cant get at it without taking the
>rucksack off.
>Any help appreciated.
>Ken

See my reply in uk.rec.gps

BTW Great idea to find out how to cross-post rather than multiple
post which you have done. Then all replies arrive where you can see
them. magic.

see http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/crospost.html for example.

Thanks Jim
I see what you mean
Cheers
Ken
news:[email protected]...

Ken wrote:
> Hi All
> Has anyone experience with these GPS's. I am led to believe thhat they
> should work in vertical position, ie fastened to the shoulder strap on the
> front of a rucksack.(easily reachable) I have a Garmin vista at the moment
> and it loses tracking more than it sees it when on the front of the rucksak.
> On the top it has no problem, but I cant get at it without taking the
> rucksack off.
> Any help appreciated.
> Ken

I have a 60CS which in a lot of conditions will keep the signal even
when in my pocket.

Try an external antenna,fix it to the top of your sac or under your hat
and it will get/keep a lock in most conditions.

Sam Salt