Recumbants, Advice

David P. Summers

Guest
I need to, because of my back, switch to a recumbant. My needs are
similar to that of my old bike, which is for commuting. Reliablity is a
big one. Something I can get on/off the train (which I do now and then)
is good also. Otherwise, the cheapest is the best....

Any suggestions?

David P. Summers wrote:
> I need to, because of my back, switch to a recumbant. My needs are
> similar to that of my old bike, which is for commuting. Reliablity is a
> big one. Something I can get on/off the train (which I do now and then)
> is good also. Otherwise, the cheapest is the best....
>
> Any suggestions?

Look around 'Bentrider: http://www.bentrideronline.com/
Post your questions to the "new rider" forum:
http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16
and you'll probably get dozens of answers.

Jeff

About the cheapest recumbent is the EZ-1 for US$600.
I have been riding mine 2 1/3 years.
If later you get a better recumbent, this would be a commuter/ bad
weather bike.
http://www.easyracers.com/ez_1_sc.htm

David P. Summers wrote:
> I need to, because of my back, switch to a recumbant. My needs are
> similar to that of my old bike, which is for commuting. Reliablity is a
> big one. Something I can get on/off the train (which I do now and then)
> is good also. Otherwise, the cheapest is the best....
>
> Any suggestions?

Is a recumbent the only option? They can be great for backs, but are
often lousy to bring on trains/buses. Would raising your handlebars
help? For $20 or so you can get a stem raiser for threadless stems, and
for threaded you can always use the venerable Nitto technomic.