or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

shrimp and grits side dish?

post #1 of 25
I am learning how to cook...well teaching myself. I'm having
so much fun with it! Anyway, I will be making shrimp and
grits for my parents this weekend. What kind of side dish
would you all recommend to go along with it?

Thanks! Leslie
post #2 of 25

Re: shrimp and grits side dish?

Leslie M. wrote:
> What kind of side dish would you all recommend to go along
> with it?

Coleslaw.

--
John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/
john@johngaughan.net

Re: shrimp and grits side dish?

Howsabout some okra? or fried green tomatoes?

-jen Half the people you know are below average. -
Steven Wright
post #4 of 25

Re: shrimp and grits side dish?

Ignore all the trash talk, some roasted asparagus, it's just
coming into season here in the Good Olde South. Doug

"Leslie M." <no email> wrote in message news:PJSdnXtV94l4fBvdRVn-
vw@comcast.com...
> I am learning how to cook...well teaching myself. I'm
> having so much fun with it! Anyway, I will be making
> shrimp and grits for my parents this weekend. What kind of
> side dish would you all recommend to go along with it?
>
> Thanks! Leslie
post #5 of 25

Doug Cutler wrote:

> Ignore all the trash talk, some roasted asparagus, it's
> just coming into season here in the Good Olde South.

Wait. Roasted asparagus GROWS there? Wow.

nancy
post #6 of 25

Re: shrimp and grits side dish?

Nancy Young <qwerty@mail.monmouth.com> seeing her/his name in stars wrote

> Doug Cutler wrote:
>>
>> Ignore all the trash talk, some roasted asparagus, it's
>> just coming into season here in the Good Olde South.
>
> Wait. Roasted asparagus GROWS there? Wow.
>
> nancy

I say we take a trip down south Nancy and dig us up some
Seriously, maybe some greens would go well with the shrimp
and grits.

Michael
--
Deathbed statement...

"Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
December 12, 1968
post #7 of 25

Dog3 wrote:

> Nancy Young <qwerty@mail.monmouth.com> seeing her/his name
> in stars

> > Doug Cutler wrote:
> >>
> >> Ignore all the trash talk, some roasted asparagus, it's
> >> just coming into season here in the Good Olde South.
> >
> > Wait. Roasted asparagus GROWS there? Wow.

> I say we take a trip down south Nancy and dig us up some

I was thinking, just how friggin hot is it down there?
No wonder I have a picture of me nekkid in my birth
state of Georgia.

nancy (do you have to cook chickens or do they just get
roasted in the sun?)
post #8 of 25

Re: shrimp and grits side dish?

Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> suggested in message
> Nancy Young <qwerty@mail.monmouth.com> seeing her/his name
> in stars wrote
> > Doug Cutler wrote:
> >> Ignore all the trash talk, some roasted asparagus, it's
> >> just coming into season here in the Good Olde South.
> >
> > Wait. Roasted asparagus GROWS there? Wow.
> >
> I say we take a trip down south Nancy and dig us up some
> Seriously, maybe some greens would go well with the
> shrimp and grits.

*NOTHING* goes good with grits! Why all this talk about
ruining a good batch of shrimp?

Sauté the shrimp in butter and garlic slivers, lightly
simmer some greens drizzled with bacon fat, serve everything
next to a slab of cornbread with fresh-whipped honey-butter,
and round it all off with a glass of sun-brew tea (not sweet
tea!) and you're good t' go!

The Ranger
--
"Grits are akin to Elmer Paste with less flavor and
more sand."

"The Ranger" <cuhulain_-98@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> suggested in message
> > Nancy Young <qwerty@mail.monmouth.com> seeing her/his
> > name in stars
wrote

> > > Wait. Roasted asparagus GROWS there? Wow.
> > >
> > I say we take a trip down south Nancy and dig us up some
> > Seriously, maybe some greens would go well with the
> > shrimp and grits.
>
> *NOTHING* goes good with grits! Why all this talk about
> ruining a good
batch
> of shrimp?
>
> Sauté the shrimp in butter and garlic slivers, lightly
> simmer some greens drizzled with bacon fat, serve
> everything next to a slab of cornbread with fresh-whipped
> honey-butter, and round it all off with a glass of sun-
> brew tea (not sweet tea!) and you're good t' go!
>
> The Ranger
> --
> "Grits are akin to Elmer Paste with less flavor and
> more sand."

I used to feel that way about grits until I had some good
ones. Plain they are pretty dull, but add some good cheese
and some pepper, they can be great, and a nice
accompaniment to shrimp. Remember, grits is just the
southern style of polenta.

--
Peter Aitken

post #10 of 25

Doug Cutler wrote:
> Ignore all the trash talk, some roasted asparagus, it's
> just coming into season here in the Good Olde South. Doug

I'd have to agree with that

Jill
> "Leslie M." <no email> wrote in message news:PJSdnXtV94l4fBvdRVn-
> vw@comcast.com...
>> I am learning how to cook...well teaching myself. I'm
>> having so much fun with it! Anyway, I will be making
>> shrimp and grits for my parents this weekend. What kind
>> of side dish would you all recommend to go along with it?
>>
>> Thanks! Leslie
post #11 of 25

Peter Aitken wrote:
> "The Ranger" <cuhulain_-98@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:c69e1u$9jtqa$1@ID-61173.news.uni-
> berlin.de...
>> Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> suggested in message
>>> Nancy Young <qwerty@mail.monmouth.com> seeing her/his
>>> name in stars
> wrote

>>> I say we take a trip down south Nancy and dig us up some
>>> Seriously, maybe some greens would go well with the
>>> shrimp and grits.
>>
>> *NOTHING* goes good with grits! Why all this talk about
>> ruining a good batch of shrimp?
>>
>> Sauté the shrimp in butter and garlic slivers, lightly
>> simmer some greens drizzled with bacon fat, serve
>> everything next to a slab of cornbread with fresh-whipped
>> honey-butter, and round it all off with a glass of sun-
>> brew tea (not sweet tea!) and you're good t' go!
>>
>> The Ranger
>> --
>> "Grits are akin to Elmer Paste with less flavor and
>> more sand."
>>

> I used to feel that way about grits until I had some good
> ones. Plain they are pretty dull, but add some good cheese
> and some pepper, they can be great, and a nice
> accompaniment to shrimp. Remember, grits is just the
> southern style of polenta.

Yep, and they can have garlic or all manner of things added
to them; and even be chilled and sliced then pan-fried or
baked in a loaf and sliced like polenta. I don't think the
OP was suggesting *mixing* shrimp with grits.

Jill
post #12 of 25

"jmcquown" <jmcquown@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Peter Aitken wrote:

<snipped>

> > I used to feel that way about grits until I had some
> > good ones. Plain they are pretty dull, but add some good
> > cheese and some pepper, they can be great, and a nice
> > accompaniment to shrimp. Remember, grits is just the
> > southern style of polenta.
>
> Yep, and they can have garlic or all manner of things
> added to them; and even be chilled and sliced then pan-
> fried or baked in a loaf and sliced
like
> polenta. I don't think the OP was suggesting *mixing*
> shrimp with grits.
>
> Jill

I agree - but I have seen the shrimp served on top of
the grits.

--
Peter Aitken

post #13 of 25

Peter Aitken wrote:
> "jmcquown" <jmcquown@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Peter Aitken wrote:
>
> <snipped>
>
>>> I used to feel that way about grits until I had some
>>> good ones. Plain they are pretty dull, but add some good
>>> cheese and some pepper, they can be great, and a nice
>>> accompaniment to shrimp. Remember, grits is just the
>>> southern style of polenta.
>>
>> Yep, and they can have garlic or all manner of things
>> added to them; and even be chilled and sliced then pan-
>> fried or baked in a loaf and sliced like polenta. I don't
>> think the OP was suggesting *mixing* shrimp with grits.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I agree - but I have seen the shrimp served on top of
> the grits.

Nothing wrong with that if the grits are properly
prepared/seasoned. I never see anyone complaining (much)
about polenta.

Jill
post #14 of 25

Re: shrimp and grits side dish?

"The Ranger" <cuhulain_-98@yahoo.com> seeing her/his name in stars wrote

> *NOTHING* goes good with grits! Why all this talk about
> ruining a good batch of shrimp?

LOL... we gots the beet haters and the grits haters.

Michael <- pro gribeets

--
Deathbed statement...

"Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
December 12, 1968
post #15 of 25

Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
> > *NOTHING* goes good with grits! Why all this talk about
> > ruining a good batch of shrimp?
> >
> LOL... we gots the beet haters and the grits haters.

<gasp!> Placing _the_ Blessed of Blessed Foods in the
same sentence with that granular Kindergarten Glop is
heresy! They used to dunk people (or worse) for espousing
such views...

ObBeet Recipe: From:
http://www.hugs.org/Baby_Beets_with_Ginger.shtml

Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05 Title: Baby Beets with
Ginger Categories: Yield: 4 Servings

1 1/2 lb Baby beets; peeled and trimmed 1 Sprig fresh
Italian parsley 1 Sprig fresh thyme or lemon or lemon
thyme 3 2" strips orange peel
1/4 c Plus (see next ingredient) 1 ts Red wine vinegar
2/4 c Sugar 3 tb Coarsely chpd. crystallized ginger Salt
and pepper to taste 2 c Water

Cut larger beets in half, so all are of uniform size.

Tie the thyme, parsley, and orange peel together with
a string or in a piece of cheesecloth to make a
bouquet garni.

In a medium sized saucepan, place the beets, 2 cups water,
1/4 cup vinegar, sugar, bouquet garni, and ginger. Bring
to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until
beets are tender, about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Remove the bouquet garni and discard. Remove the beets
with a slotted spoon to a serving dish, leaving the sauce
in the pan. Add the remaining vinegar to the pan to
deglaze it, scraping down the sides. Taste and adjust
seasoning with salt and pepper. Spoon the sauce over the
beets and serve immediately.

The Ranger
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home