Kilamanjaro

pete mitchell

Guest
After recently completing the pennine way wearing a pair of Brasher boots, I
found them well knackered by the end and not what I require. I am
considering Kilamanjaro in the spring of 2006 and am looking for info of a
top quality gortex boot that will suffice for trekking in the UKand for
high altitude trekking at -30 Temps and keep my feet dry and warm . Regards
Peter

> After recently completing the pennine way wearing a pair of Brasher boots,
> found them well knackered by the end and not what I require. I am
> considering Kilamanjaro in the spring of 2006 and am looking for info of a
> top quality gortex boot that will suffice for trekking in the UKand for
> high altitude trekking at -30 Temps and keep my feet dry and warm .

Not sure if Gortex boots would be suitable for -30C. Had two trips at
20,000 (Nepal 2002 and this year to Bolivia), both trips very cold at night
while summiting, and I wore an hired pair of double shell mountaineering
boots. Although they kept my feet dry and warm, when stopped during the
summit the feet did start to chill a little. I also wore Smartwool
Mountaineering socks too for extra warmth. Wouldn't like to be in Gortex
boots in those conditions.

For the trek out/in I wore my Miendl Nepal Pro, good solid nubuck leather
boot that kept my feet dry and warm. Also great in the Lakes, Wales and
even the South Downs.

Still, this is just my opinion!

--
Sandy Saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk

"Mountains or Mole Hills ..... reaching the
summit still brings the same excitement"

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 15:30:34 +0000 (UTC), "pete mitchell"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>After recently completing the pennine way wearing a pair of Brasher boots, I
>found them well knackered by the end and not what I require. I am
>considering Kilamanjaro in the spring of 2006 and am looking for info of a
>top quality gortex boot that will suffice for trekking in the UKand for
>high altitude trekking at -30 Temps and keep my feet dry and warm . Regards
>Peter

Scarpa Mantas served me well on Kili earlier this year as well as
Lakeland for the past four years. They are not Goretex but I never
could see the point of Goretex in boots. Whether you get on with a
particular make of boot depends upon how much your feet resembles the
last the boots were made on. I would suggest you get a list of boots
others recommend and try them out in the shops before deciding which
make and model fits you best.

HTH

John D.
--
at home in Kendal, Cumbria
Lake District Walks at: http://www.lakedistrictwalks.com/

In article <[email protected]>, petermitch@btconnect.
com (pete mitchell) wrote:

> After recently completing the pennine way wearing a pair of Brasher
> boots, I
> found them well knackered by the end and not what I require. I am
> considering Kilamanjaro in the spring of 2006 and am looking for info
> of a
> top quality gortex boot that will suffice for trekking in the UKand for
> high altitude trekking at -30 Temps and keep my feet dry and warm .

I've done Kili twice in my low cut trekking shoes. no problems. My
daughter did it fine with trekking shoes I bought for £20 at the local
shop. More like heavy duty trainers than boots.
If you go in the rainy season (Dec-Jan), then there will be lots of rain
and mud and so keeping your feet dry will be an issue. We used lots of dry
socks.
In Aug-Sept it can be totally dry. Then it is dusty ...

It isn't cold until the night you go for the summit and then the temps are
more like -10 to -15C. Our feet got a little chilly, but never cold. The
trick is to take an extra fleece, a warm hat and gloves. Once the sun is
up it warms up quickly. Most people use lightweight boots.
HTH
Rob