or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to remove Rust from Chain

post #1 of 10
Hi
Am too cheap to buy a new chain and wondered if anyone had a fast-easy-cheap
way to remove rust from a bike chain. I need to do a 40 mile hike Tuesday
and the chain is totally creamed in rust/

Joshua
******
post #2 of 10

Re: How to remove Rust from Chain

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 21:07:25 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<outlook.bugs@microsoft.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 20:04:30 GMT, "evsolutions"
><evsolutions@rogers.com> wrote in message
><iXdjc.286038$2oI1.102221@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>:
>
>>Am too cheap to buy a new chain and wondered if anyone had a fast-easy-cheap
>>way to remove rust from a bike chain. I need to do a 40 mile hike Tuesday
>>and the chain is totally creamed in rust/

>Assuming it hasn't already, riding on that chain will ruin the
>sprockets as well.

Perhaps. Most rust I've had on my chains was on the outside of the
links and of no interest at all. Run it throught an oiled cloth for
appearance purposes and it cleans up well enough. The interior running
of the chain seems to hold up better (at least from road riding - all
of this assumes road) than people give them credit.

I'm guessing that it would take a pretty eroded chain to damage the
cogs from rust alone and it would be fun to see if the chain
disentegrates before the cogs are damaged. Stretched chain with the
chain climbing up the cogs might not be a great thing though.

I'd run the chain through a completely saturated oiled cloth, but not
dripping, just to see how it cleaned up. If it cleans up and the
bushings seem to be free, I'd ride. If the rust is deep and the metal
corroded, I'd think seriously about whether I wanted to walk back 20
miles from the ride.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
post #3 of 10

Re: How to remove Rust from Chain

Comments at bottom
Curtis L. Russell <curtis@md-bicycling.org> wrote in message news:<nlsq8096nqned3apg15ehno35hc69sh0rh@4ax.com>...
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 21:07:25 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
> <outlook.bugs@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 20:04:30 GMT, "evsolutions"
> ><evsolutions@rogers.com> wrote in message
> ><iXdjc.286038$2oI1.102221@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>:
> >
> >>Am too cheap to buy a new chain and wondered if anyone had a fast-easy-cheap
> >>way to remove rust from a bike chain. I need to do a 40 mile hike Tuesday
> >>and the chain is totally creamed in rust/

> >Assuming it hasn't already, riding on that chain will ruin the
> >sprockets as well.

> Perhaps. Most rust I've had on my chains was on the outside of the
> links and of no interest at all. Run it throught an oiled cloth for
> appearance purposes and it cleans up well enough. The interior running
> of the chain seems to hold up better (at least from road riding - all
> of this assumes road) than people give them credit.

True. Surface rust is of little consequence. If the rust has
penetrated the interior, though, all bets are off. I've seen many
chains that were neglected crack due to internal rust expanding the
pins. If the chain breaks once, toss it- it's toast.

Jeff
post #4 of 10

Re: How to remove Rust from Chain

Tom Sherman <tsherman@qconline.com> wrote in message news:<c6l91c$d909h$2@ID-81487.news.uni-berlin.de>...
..

> Naval jelly goes well with this type of toast.

Naval jelly is nice but Pickle-X 20 is better.

Jerry
post #5 of 10

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 07:08:24 -0700, Dom wrote:

> If you are too cheap to buy a new chain (which is the right thing to
> do)

I have the same problem as the OP; I can't speak for him, but I balk at
paying 22 British Pounds (40ish dollars) for a new recumbent chain if
there's any chance of resurrecting a slightly rusty one with a bit of
grease (both elbow & petrochemical). And if I'm not going to need a new
chainset for my sins.

> then you are probably too cheap to buy a good lube or chain
> cleaner and do the job right.

........... (10 dots)

> So ride it the way it is and let your real personality show.

Are you Fabrizio Mazzoleni's new persona?

AC

> "evsolutions" <evsolutions@rogers.com> wrote in message news:<iXdjc.286038$2oI1.102221@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>...
>> Hi
>> Am too cheap to buy a new chain and wondered if anyone had a fast-easy-cheap
>> way to remove rust from a bike chain. I need to do a 40 mile hike Tuesday
>> and the chain is totally creamed in rust/
>>
>> Joshua
>> ******
post #6 of 10

Re: How to remove Rust from Chain

Toe jam's the best

"Jerry Rhodes" <jegarh@aol.com> wrote in message
> Tom Sherman <tsherman@qconline.com> wrote in message

> .
> >
> > Naval jelly goes well with this type of toast.

> Naval jelly is nice but Pickle-X 20 is better.
>
> Jerry
post #7 of 10

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:00:58 -0500, Edward Dolan wrote:

> "anonymous coward" <anonymous.coward@nospam.nowhere> wrote in message
> newsan.2004.04.27.23.09.42.240769@nospam.nowhere...
>> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 07:08:24 -0700, Dom wrote:
>>
>> > If you are too cheap to buy a new chain (which is the right thing to
>> > do)

>> I have the same problem as the OP; I can't speak for him, but I balk at
>> paying 22 British Pounds (40ish dollars) for a new recumbent chain if
>> there's any chance of resurrecting a slightly rusty one with a bit of
>> grease (both elbow & petrochemical). And if I'm not going to need a new
>> chainset for my sins.

> Good Grief! I wouldn't pay $40. for a new chain for my recumbent if it were
> the last chain on earth. For heaven's sake, just go out to Wal-Mart and get
> 3 chains at the cheapest possible price and it will be good enough and far
> better than an older worn rusted chain. I used to get Sedis chains for about
> $3. to $4. a chain not so long ago. Some bike shops (not high end) still
> have brains enough to offer cheap chains for those who do not have to have
> "the best".

I get SEDIS/SRAM chains - probably the same as yours but at a different
price

10-14 dollars at
http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm

I was warned off the Taya chains, that were the only ones cheaper. If
anyone has any good experiences I'm all ears.

But at least with Toms chains I shouldn't have to worry about rust.

AC
post #8 of 10

jmm <usenet-forum@cyclingforums.com> wrote in message news:<X5Djc.56739$Jh.1014@fe19.usenetserver.com>...
> > Naval jelly goes well with this type of toast.

> > ...nice but Pickle-X 20 is better.

> Careful, both contain acid(s), and both can contribute to hydrogen
> embrittlement,

John,

I think that "hydrogen embrittlement" is the least of his worries.

I would toss the chain into a cement mixer along with a couple of
shovels of pea gravel along with some Simple Green in a couple of
gallons of water and let it run all night.

I would then rinse it off really well and then boil it in some really
hot (350+deg) paraffin/ATF until it quit foaming and then slap it back
on the bike and ride it for another 8 years.

Jerry
post #9 of 10

"Sticker Jim" <me@here.com> wrote in message ...

> soaking. This has worked every time on old chains that were so badly rusted
> that I could hold them straight out like a stick.

I sure hope you guys are just trying to be funny.

Here's the difference between you and Me.
http://tinyurl.com/2g8hx
post #10 of 10

Re: How to remove Rust from Chain

"Sticker Jim" <me@here.com> wrote in message ...

Jim if you do decide to go with the Campy Record C10
Ultra then please read this:

As described in the instruction sheet, you have to use a
high precision (0,01 mm resolution) caliper gauge to measure,
in different points of the chain, the length between six links
(as indicated in the figure on the instruction sheet) and if even
one of the measurement is longer than 132.60 mm the chain
must be replaced.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Recumbent bicycles