Fitness and Nutritional Help Needed

Hello,

I am new to the group. I am a 44 year old female carpenter t­hat needs

to get back in shape. I am 5' 8" and weigh 155. I have lost ­a lot of
my
muscle strength because of an injury a couple years ago and ­have not
been able to work out. I have been on the Atkins diet for ab­out 1 1/2

years and have lost 50 lbs on it. I just can't seem to lose ­that last

10 - 15 lbs and I really need to tone up and lose a lot of f­lab. My
injury has healed now and I am ready to do what ever it take­s to get
in
shape again.

I just purchased a Bow-Flex Extreme II, a Schwinn 428P Ellip­tical and
body ball. I also have 5, 10 and 20 lb free weights.

For the last week I have been doing 2 miles in 20 minutes on­ the
elliptical then a few arm and leg exercises with the bow-fle­x and
then
50 crunches and 50 oblique crunches on the ball and then I s­tretch.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good work-out or can you sug­gest a
good
routine to help me burn fat and tone up?
If I should change from the Atkins diet to a better way of e­ating I
am
open there also.

Could you also tell me if it is better to eat first and then­ work out

or vise-versa? I can work out in the am on week-ends but on ­weekdays
have to work out in the evenings.

Thanks
Karin

> Hello,
>

> I am new to the group. I am a 44 year old female carpenter t­hat needs
> to get back in shape. I am 5' 8" and weigh 155. I have lost ­a lot of my
> muscle strength because of an injury a couple years ago and ­have not
> been able to work out. I have been on the Atkins diet for ab­out 1 1/2
> years and have lost 50 lbs on it. I just can't seem to lose ­that last
> 10 - 15 lbs and I really need to tone up and lose a lot of f­lab. My
> injury has healed now and I am ready to do what ever it take­s to get
> in shape again.

Sounds good. Have you tried eating less?

And you might want to look posts by elzinator in the thread
"2 months in the gym - NO changes".

> I just purchased a Bow-Flex Extreme II,

My condolences.

> a Schwinn 428P Ellip­tical and

Sounds expensive.

www.stumptuous.com/weights.html. Read it. Thoroughly.

> If I should change from the Atkins diet to a better way of e­ating I
> am open there also.

As long as you are getting the proper nutrients, it doesn't matter. You
may want to track what you eat so you know how many calories you are
getting, though.

> Could you also tell me if it is better to eat first and then­ work out
> or vise-versa? I can work out in the am on week-ends but on ­weekdays
> I have to work out in the evenings.

Try it both ways and see if one lets you work out better. If your workout is
the same, it doesn't matter.

> Thanks
> Karin

Art

The Atkins diet is not good longterm. The equipment you have is great.
Dieting is a big area to work on, with several options. Ask me specific
question and I can help a bit more. It is a good idea to eat something
small before you weight lift. 2 slices of toast and some eggs and fruit
are enough. Checkout my site if you have time. Email also if youd like,
with questions.

Tony Kehl
www.simplefitness.biz

On 30 Jan 2005 16:31:07 -0800, "Titan1969" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>The Atkins diet is not good longterm. The equipment you have is great.

What exactly do you find at fault with the Atkins maintenance diet?

>Dieting is a big area to work on, with several options. Ask me specific
>question and I can help a bit more. It is a good idea to eat something
>small before you weight lift. 2 slices of toast and some eggs and fruit
>are enough. Checkout my site if you have time. Email also if youd like,
>with questions.
>
>Tony Kehl
>www.simplefitness.biz

-----------
Proton Soup

"Thanks for noticing that I didn't actually say anything." - Mike Lane

Several studies done on Atkins Diet show over the long term of 1 year
that people weighed exactly the same in the end.They were unable to
maintain the low carbs longterm. The sad thing about Atkins is the
first 1-2 weeks people drop alot of weight and they believe its fat.
Its just water from decreasing the carbs. I like the idea of getting
people off bad carbs, like high fructose corn syrup, sugar,
sucrose,glucose,maltodextrin...etc. However the body needs carbs for
functioning properly. The human body has evolved over the cenuteries to
consume carbs, protein and fats. Longterm people lose alot of muscle if
they were exercising before. The body burns muscle for fuel if it
cannot have carbs in sufficient quantities. To say the Atkins diet can
help you lose weight is correct. Lifestyle change to a more balanced
carbs, protein, fats will lead to a far better chance of losing weight
and keeping it off for life.

Tony Kehl
Developing Fitness Programs for Individuals
[email protected]
www.simplefitness.biz

"JMW" <[email protected]> wrote

> "Titan1969" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> I like the idea of getting
>>people off bad carbs, like high fructose corn syrup, sugar,
>>sucrose,glucose,maltodextrin...etc.

> Can you tell us how those are "bad carbs"?

Beat me to it.

I keep getting this picture of a statuesque dominatrix, dressed in a
provacative costume, beating some carbs on a table.

All the time yelling, "Bad Carbs, Bad!"

"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam*@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "JMW" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > "Titan1969" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>
> >> I like the idea of getting
> >>people off bad carbs, like high fructose corn syrup, sugar,
> >>sucrose,glucose,maltodextrin...etc.

> > Can you tell us how those are "bad carbs"?

> Beat me to it.
>
> I keep getting this picture of a statuesque dominatrix, dressed in a
> provacative costume, beating some carbs on a table.
>
> All the time yelling, "Bad Carbs, Bad!"

Can't we just call them "misunderstood" carbs. Calling them bad is so
judgmental.

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:05:50 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
<leemichaels*nadaspam*@comcast.net> wrote:

>"JMW" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> "Titan1969" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I like the idea of getting
>>>people off bad carbs, like high fructose corn syrup, sugar,
>>>sucrose,glucose,maltodextrin...etc.

>> Can you tell us how those are "bad carbs"?

>Beat me to it.
>
>I keep getting this picture of a statuesque dominatrix, dressed in a
>provacative costume, beating some carbs on a table.
>
>All the time yelling, "Bad Carbs, Bad!"

Not as fanciful as you and that other blowhard slippery johnny
williams might think.

Certainly people not involved in fitness and training to the level
that is discussed at MFW, are currently and fashionably persuaded of
the existence of "good & bad" carbs!!

The OP asking the question here should be aware of the inadvisability
of entering into dialogue with you two drongoes, who have no intention
of helping, but simply want to make a fool of the OP.

You two should perhaps stop being such smart arses and look at:

http://diet.ivillage.com/plans/plowcarb/0,,1pcl,00.html
http://my.webmd.com/content/article/61/67547.htm

On 1 Feb 2005 07:13:22 -0800, "JMW" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Charles wrote:
>>
>> You two should perhaps stop being such smart arses and look
>> at:

>http://www.rustyiron.net/plagiarz.htm

Yes I have already seen it johnny, and told you so in Message ID
<[email protected]> what a clever lad you
are.

But I am quite happy to tell you again if it will help your deflated
ego, following the recent drubbings you have received:

You are a very clever boy johnny and I'll bet Mummy is very proud of
you!! ;o)

On 1 Feb 2005 04:40:41 -0800, "Titan1969" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Several studies done on Atkins Diet show over the long term of 1 year
>that people weighed exactly the same in the end.They were unable to
>maintain the low carbs longterm. The sad thing about Atkins is the
>first 1-2 weeks people drop alot of weight and they believe its fat.
>Its just water from decreasing the carbs. I like the idea of getting
>people off bad carbs, like high fructose corn syrup, sugar,
>sucrose,glucose,maltodextrin...etc. However the body needs carbs for
>functioning properly. The human body has evolved over the cenuteries to
>consume carbs, protein and fats. Longterm people lose alot of muscle if
>they were exercising before. The body burns muscle for fuel if it
>cannot have carbs in sufficient quantities. To say the Atkins diet can
>help you lose weight is correct. Lifestyle change to a more balanced
>carbs, protein, fats will lead to a far better chance of losing weight
>and keeping it off for life.

So, I could diet on a high-carb, low-protein diet, and lose fat while
gaining muscle? The more carbs I eat, the more muscle I'll gain?