This Video Shows Exactly Why Mountain Biking Is Dangerous!

Mike Vandeman

Guest
A biker is suspended above the ground, in a very unstable position. In contrast,
a hiker can control his/her movement in all directions. (With my 56kb modem,
this video took maybe half an hour to download, but it was really worth it,
because it shows exactly what can happen, and why.)

Mike

Subject: [ROMP] Be careful out there.

Here is a nightmarish video of a friend of a friend of a freind.
http://www.romp.org/movies/AndyVacation.wmv

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

* Mike Vandeman <[email protected]>:
> A biker is suspended above the ground, in a very unstable position. In contrast,
> a hiker can control his/her movement in all directions. (With my 56kb modem,
> this video took maybe half an hour to download, but it was really worth it,
> because it shows exactly what can happen, and why.)
>
> Mike
>

> Subject: [ROMP] Be careful out there.
>
> Here is a nightmarish video of a friend of a friend of a freind.
> http://www.romp.org/movies/AndyVacation.wmv
>
> ===
> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.) And I have
> accomplished absolutely nothing.

Pretty old mikey thats been around for months if not a year or more, but
then we don't expect you to be up to date or have your facts straight so
it's ok. It is pretty scary though, the first rider was correct the
penalty for failure can be extreme.

Jason

Jason wrote:
> * Mike Vandeman <[email protected]>:
>> A biker is suspended above the ground, in a very unstable position.
>> In contrast, a hiker can control his/her movement in all directions.
>> (With my 56kb modem, this video took maybe half an hour to download,
>> but it was really worth it, because it shows exactly what can
>> happen, and why.)
>>
>> Mike
>>

>> Subject: [ROMP] Be careful out there.
>>
>> Here is a nightmarish video of a friend of a friend of a freind.
>> http://www.romp.org/movies/AndyVacation.wmv
>>
>> ===
>> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
>> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
>> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.) And I have
>> accomplished absolutely nothing.
>>

> Pretty old mikey thats been around for months if not a year or more,
> but then we don't expect you to be up to date or have your facts
> straight so it's ok. It is pretty scary though, the first rider was
> correct the penalty for failure can be extreme.

That's the infamous "Miles Todd Crash Video" -- soon to be "as seen on TV"!

Bill "I drove him to the emergency room (on 1/1/4 IIRC)" S.

<rambling ******** snipped>

Normally I ignore Mike's pathetic rambling, but does anyone know exactly
where this video was shot? I definitely want to ride that trail.

For those too lazy or not on broadband, no one was hurt. Just one guy
taking a little tumble down a hill, and he was fine afterwards. Anyone who
rides offroad regularly has seen or experienced far worse, it just happens
to look mildly interesting on video to non-riders.

H.

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 17:44:43 +0000, Mike Vandeman wrote:

> A biker is suspended above the ground, in a very unstable position. In contrast,
> a hiker can control his/her movement in all directions. (With my 56kb modem,
> this video took maybe half an hour to download, but it was really worth it,
> because it shows exactly what can happen, and why.)

Just two days ago, we had a cyclist and a pedestrian struck and killed in
the streets in two unrelated accidents.

What can we conclude from this?

Riding is dangerous anywhere; so is walking. Time to gas up the Ford
Ex-tinct 8,000# Urban Assault Vehicle!

--
use munged address above to email me
SpamTrap [email protected]

HardwareLust wrote:
> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> <rambling ******** snipped>
>
> Normally I ignore Mike's pathetic rambling, but does anyone know
> exactly where this video was shot? I definitely want to ride that
> trail.

Corrizo Gorge. Trains are running now, so can't do it.

> For those too lazy or not on broadband, no one was hurt. Just one guy
> taking a little tumble down a hill, and he was fine afterwards.
> Anyone who rides offroad regularly has seen or experienced far worse,
> it just happens to look mildly interesting on video to non-riders.

You managed to pack a LOT of incorrectness in that one little paragraph.

Off to ride, Bill S.

Dude, I heard that trains are running again but how? Last time I was
there, the tunnels were in ruins.

GT

G.T. wrote:
> Dude, I heard that trains are running again but how? Last time I was
> there, the tunnels were in ruins.

Dude, apparently they CLEARED 'em! (Last time I was there -- day of the
vid -- they were ALMOST through the main one. Pretty amazing engineering
feat.)

Not sure what /HOURS/ the trains run though, you know? ;-)

Recon *****

Mike Vandeman wrote:
> A biker is suspended above the ground, in a very unstable position.

In contrast,
> a hiker can control his/her movement in all directions. (With my 56kb

modem,
> this video took maybe half an hour to download, but it was really

worth it,
> because it shows exactly what can happen, and why.)

Yup, those hikers are in control of their bodies and movement at all
times!

<http://www.nps.gov/yose/news/1998/hiker810.htm>

<http://www.sarinfo.bc.ca/Library/Rescues/Eldo.res>

<http://www.traditionalmountaineering.org/News_Hood_HikerDrowned.htm>

<http://www.lvmpdsar.com/1999rprts.html>

<http://www.grandcanyonhiker.com/GCnews/index.shtml>

<http://www.nps.gov/yose/news/1997/hiker813.htm>

<http://www.nynjtc.org/news/2002/styranovski.html>

<http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:vVaiM6By0B4J:www.sbcfire.org/docs/pressreleases/011104.pdf+hiker+dies&hl=en>

<http://www.death-valley.us/article656.html>

<http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=3897&messageid=1091303287>

<http://www.nevadageocaching.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=143>

<http://www.theolympian.com/home/news/20050214/southsound/87998.shtml>

<http://forums.alpinezone.com/post-10568.html&highlight=>

And on and on...

"S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...

> > For those too lazy or not on broadband, no one was hurt. Just one guy
> > taking a little tumble down a hill, and he was fine afterwards.
> > Anyone who rides offroad regularly has seen or experienced far worse,
> > it just happens to look mildly interesting on video to non-riders.

> You managed to pack a LOT of incorrectness in that one little paragraph.

Well, the first sentence I'll admit is a bit of an assumption, but the rest
seems pretty accurate to me. Was he hurt?

H.

HardwareLust wrote:
> "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:%[email protected]...
>>
>>> For those too lazy or not on broadband, no one was hurt. Just one
>>> guy taking a little tumble down a hill, and he was fine afterwards.
>>> Anyone who rides offroad regularly has seen or experienced far
>>> worse, it just happens to look mildly interesting on video to
>>> non-riders.

>> You managed to pack a LOT of incorrectness in that one little
>> paragraph.
>>

> Well, the first sentence I'll admit is a bit of an assumption, but
> the rest seems pretty accurate to me. Was he hurt?

No, I drove him to the emergency room just so we could show off the bent
digits and bloody scars.

Mike Vandeman said:
A biker is suspended above the ground, in a very unstable position. In contrast,
a hiker can control his/her movement in all directions. (With my 56kb modem,
this video took maybe half an hour to download, but it was really worth it,
because it shows exactly what can happen, and why.)

Mike
Here is a nightmarish video of a friend of a friend of a freind.
http://www.romp.org/movies/AndyVacation.wmv
===
http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Do you know what's not dangerous? Sitting in a padded room wearing a helmet. Try it.

Mr_Kingkillaha
<[email protected]> wrote
let it be known in
news:[email protected]:

>> Mike
>> Subject: [ROMP] Be careful out there.
>> Here is a nightmarish video of a friend of a friend of a
>> freind. http://www.romp.org/movies/AndyVacation.wmv

Looks like your 'friend of a friend of a friend' either knows
Bill or stole the video from his site. I suspect the later,
since it looks like he even went through the trouble of erasing
some kind of copyright notice or other caption on the video you
posted.

If you want to see the REAL video along with the story behind it
(and some more great videos!), go to this site:

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/

Mike Vandeman wrote:
> A biker is suspended above the ground, in a very unstable position. In contrast,
> a hiker can control his/her movement in all directions. (With my 56kb modem,
> this video took maybe half an hour to download, but it was really worth it,
> because it shows exactly what can happen, and why.)
>
> Mike
>

> Subject: [ROMP] Be careful out there.
>
> Here is a nightmarish video of a friend of a friend of a freind.
> http://www.romp.org/movies/AndyVacation.wmv
>
> ===
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

You can be foolish and choose to walk in places where you can choose to
be hurt. You can do the same thing while cycling, as the video demonstrates.

"S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> That's the infamous "Miles Todd Crash Video" -- soon to be "as seen on

TV"!

> Bill "I drove him to the emergency room (on 1/1/4 IIRC)" S.

hopefully, saying over, and over, "it's ok to get off the bike, and walk a
section".

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 14:17:46 -0400, Jason <[email protected]> wrote:

..* Mike Vandeman <[email protected]>:
..> A biker is suspended above the ground, in a very unstable position. In contrast,
..> a hiker can control his/her movement in all directions. (With my 56kb modem,
..> this video took maybe half an hour to download, but it was really worth it,
..> because it shows exactly what can happen, and why.)
..>
..> Mike
..>
..>
..>
..> Here is a nightmarish video of a friend of a friend of a freind.
..> http://www.romp.org/movies/AndyVacation.wmv
..>
..> ===
..> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
..> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
..> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.) And I have
..> accomplished absolutely nothing.
..>
..
..Pretty old mikey thats been around for months if not a year or more, but
..then we don't expect you to be up to date or have your facts straight so
..it's ok. It is pretty scary though, the first rider was correct the
..penalty for failure can be extreme.
..
..Jason

What happened to the victim?
===

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 18:21:14 GMT, "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote:

..Jason wrote:
..> * Mike Vandeman <[email protected]>:
..>> A biker is suspended above the ground, in a very unstable position.
..>> In contrast, a hiker can control his/her movement in all directions.
..>> (With my 56kb modem, this video took maybe half an hour to download,
..>> but it was really worth it, because it shows exactly what can
..>> happen, and why.)
..>>
..>> Mike
..>>
..>>
..>> Subject: [ROMP] Be careful out there.
..>>
..>> Here is a nightmarish video of a friend of a friend of a freind.
..>> http://www.romp.org/movies/AndyVacation.wmv
..>>
..>> ===
..>> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
..>> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
..>> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.) And I have
..>> accomplished absolutely nothing.
..>>
..>
..> Pretty old mikey thats been around for months if not a year or more,
..> but then we don't expect you to be up to date or have your facts
..> straight so it's ok. It is pretty scary though, the first rider was
..> correct the penalty for failure can be extreme.
..
..That's the infamous "Miles Todd Crash Video" -- soon to be "as seen on TV"!
..
..Bill "I drove him to the emergency room (on 1/1/4 IIRC)" S.

How bad was he?
===

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 19:32:11 GMT, "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote:

..HardwareLust wrote:
..> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
..> news:[email protected]...
..> <rambling ******** snipped>
..>
..> Normally I ignore Mike's pathetic rambling, but does anyone know
..> exactly where this video was shot? I definitely want to ride that
..> trail.
..
..Corrizo Gorge. Trains are running now, so can't do it.
..
..> For those too lazy or not on broadband, no one was hurt. Just one guy
..> taking a little tumble down a hill, and he was fine afterwards.
..> Anyone who rides offroad regularly has seen or experienced far worse,
..> it just happens to look mildly interesting on video to non-riders.
..
..You managed to pack a LOT of incorrectness in that one little paragraph.

He's a mountain biker, isn't he? Then what's the truth?

..Off to ride, Bill S.
..

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande