corrosion in steerer tube

Kbh

Guest
Just bought a Nitto Technomic and when I inserted it into the steerer tube it met with much
resistance. Peering inside with a flashlight, I see there quite a bit of corrosion inside the
steerer tube. Any tips for smoothing this out so that the stem can instert unobstrcted?

Thanks,

Kyle

there are reamers,hones and such to do it. You probably don't have anything like that so the easiest
is to take a dowel rod or similiar round object, wrap a piece of 80grit or so sandpaper (aluminum
oxide is best for metal but others will work) and have at it. Should clean up pretty quick. Tom

In article <ZHUOa.13967$OZ2.2890@rwcrnsc54>, KBH <[email protected]> wrote:
>Just bought a Nitto Technomic and when I inserted it into the steerer tube it met with much
>resistance. Peering inside with a flashlight, I see there quite a bit of corrosion inside the
>steerer tube. Any tips for smoothing this out so that the stem can instert unobstrcted?

Most good bike shops have an adjustable reamer that will do a great job on that. The tool is not
cost effective for you to buy for occasional use.

>From: "KBH" [email protected]

>Any tips for smoothing this out so that the stem can instert unobstrcted?

Scrub it with a 12 guage brass bristle brush and a penetrating oil. Swab it fairly dry and apply a
coat of grease.

Sig Chicago

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 13:24:09 GMT "KBH" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Just bought a Nitto Technomic and when I inserted it into the steerer tube it met with much
>resistance. Peering inside with a flashlight, I see there quite a bit of corrosion inside the
>steerer tube. Any tips for smoothing this out so that the stem can instert unobstrcted?

It will probably clean out rather easily when you rotate your stem in there. Coat it with grease
then and reinstall the stem. This will stop future corrosion.

Steerers and seat tubes should always be greased inside when the bike is first assembled.

-
Jim Adney [email protected] Madison, WI 53711 USA