or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Other Stuff › Archives › General health and fitness › Health and nutrition › Food and nutrition › irregular menstrual cycles and low carbing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

irregular menstrual cycles and low carbing.

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
I have been on a low carb diet and the major reason for me continuing
is the complete suspension of my "pre menstrual" appetite problem.
'
my appetite used to go out of control 10 days before my period and low
carb has made this subside almost completely.

one side effect though is that I've been getting my period every 15
days since i've started (I'm about 6 weeks in to the program)

at first I thought this was some kind of peri menopause and freaked
out-- but read some testimonials here....

I'm 38 going on 39.

anyone else have this situation?

can I contribute it to my new low carb lifestyle?.

thanks in advance for any insight shared experiences.
post #2 of 6

Re: irregular menstrual cycles and low carbing.

>anyone else have this situation?
>
>can I contribute it to my new low carb lifestyle?.
>


My cycle went nuts when I first started. From once every 6 weeks or so to what
seemed like all the time! After a couple of months everything evened out and
I'm back on a normal 28 day cycle. Atkins fixed whatever was wrong, it just had
to throw a wrench in the works to do it.
LCing since 12/01/03-
Me- 5'7" 265/168/140
& hubby- 6' 310/188/180
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lcer09/my_photos
post #3 of 6

Re: irregular menstrual cycles and low carbing.

"jane meeuws" <ameeuws@cs.com> wrote in message
> I have been on a low carb diet and the major reason for me continuing
> is the complete suspension of my "pre menstrual" appetite problem.
> '
> my appetite used to go out of control 10 days before my period and low
> carb has made this subside almost completely.
>
> one side effect though is that I've been getting my period every 15
> days since i've started (I'm about 6 weeks in to the program)
>
> at first I thought this was some kind of peri menopause and freaked
> out-- but read some testimonials here....


For about a year or so before I started LC, I had an irregular (and too much
time in between) cycle. After a couple months on LC (and ever since), I now
have a very regular 28 day cycle with far fewer hassles. I would say give
it a little more time. Your body is probably adjusting.


--
Spring
LC since 1/1/04
260/208/170
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/spr...=/55b8&.src=ph
Size: 24W / 14 / 10
post #4 of 6

Re: irregular menstrual cycles and low carbing.

>It didn't happen to me, but a lot of women have reported their cycles
>being thrown off for a couple of months when starting low-carbing.
>I suspect it may have something to do with dietary cholesterol, which
>is used to make estrogen and progesterone.


Or the estrogen stored in body fat. Your body can go nuts when it's flushing
out a lot at once, as most do at first.
LCing since 12/01/03-
Me- 5'7" 265/166/140
& hubby- 6' 310/188/180
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lcer09/my_photos
post #5 of 6

Re: irregular menstrual cycles and low carbing.

"LCer09" <lcer09@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20040914165220.03602.00000682@mb-m04.aol.com...
> >It didn't happen to me, but a lot of women have reported their cycles
> >being thrown off for a couple of months when starting low-carbing.
> >I suspect it may have something to do with dietary cholesterol, which
> >is used to make estrogen and progesterone.

>
> Or the estrogen stored in body fat. Your body can go nuts when it's

flushing
> out a lot at once, as most do at first.
> LCing since 12/01/03-
> Me- 5'7" 265/166/140
> & hubby- 6' 310/188/180
> http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lcer09/my_photos


That is how we got our number 2 son, 3 months of lc, and one late pill and
BOOM! the Trenton-Toe was conceived!

--
Lori
220/157/144
LC since 1/17/03
Devoted wife of Curtis, Stage 4 Prostate cancer at age 40
http://community.webshots.com/user/lorismiller
post #6 of 6

Re: irregular menstrual cycles and low carbing.

>
>That is how we got our number 2 son, 3 months of lc, and one late pill and
>BOOM! the Trenton-Toe was conceived!


I have to laugh when the PCRM comes out with their "Atkins will make you
sterile" BS for the scare of the week. Funny how many people happen to get
pregnant on LC. Even those who had been told they were infertile before
starting it! LOL!

LCing since 12/01/03-
Me- 5'7" 265/166/140
& hubby- 6' 310/188/180
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lcer09/my_photos
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition
Cycling Forums › Forums › Other Stuff › Archives › General health and fitness › Health and nutrition › Food and nutrition › irregular menstrual cycles and low carbing.