Repairing a bike

Sjd

Guest
I got an road bike from a friend. It is in a bad shape. the gear, the break are not working, and i
think the rim need re-adjust

Would it be a terribly big job to repair it myself? (i don't have any experience with bike
maintenace), or shall i just take it to a shop(I guess it would be very expensive). can you guys
recommend any resource about repairing? Thanks,
--
Jiadong Sun Kings College London [email protected]

"sjd" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
> I got an road bike from a friend. It is in a bad shape. the gear, the break are not working, and i
> think the rim need re-adjust
>
> Would it be a terribly big job to repair it myself? (i don't have any experience

Brakes are usually not hard to fix yourself, but you need to be careful as brake failure can lead
to serious accidents. Truing rims is more difficult, especially if you don't have a friend to
teach you.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/#articles (select 'Articles by Sheldon Brown')

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/index.shtml

"sjd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I got an road bike from a friend. It is in a bad shape. the gear, the break are not working, and i
> think the rim need re-adjust
>
> Would it be a terribly big job to repair it myself? (i don't have any experience with bike
> maintenace), or shall i just take it to a shop(I guess it would
be
> very expensive). can you guys recommend any resource about repairing?

While the links others proved are very worthwhile, I'd suggest taking it to a shop and pay for a
tune-up. Ask if they'll let you watch and learn; and even if not, develop a relationship with the
mechanic(s) so you can get help when you need it (and you will :)

Bolt-stripper Bill

>can you guys recommend any resource about repairing? Thanks,
>--
>Jiadong Sun Kings College London [email protected]

There are bike repair co-ops in London where you can fix it and learn at the same time. Phil Brown

sjd-<< I got an road bike from a friend. It is in a bad shape. the gear, the break are not working,
and i think the rim need re-adjust

Would it be a terribly big job to repair it myself? (i don't have any experience with bike
maintenace), or shall i just take it to a shop( >><BR><BR>

Think you answered your own question. Not brain science, but it needs to be done correctly if you
want to ride it safely...go to a bike shop, it's what they do....just to make it servicable may not
be 'very expensive'. Doing it wrong could make it so tho...

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 23:49:02 +0000 (UTC), Ken <[email protected]> wrote:
> as brake failure can lead to serious accidents. Truing rims is more difficult, especially if you
> don't have a friend to teach you.

Strangely enough, I found it entirely impossible the first time I tried to true a rim, and decided
never to try again. Then, a year later, I tried and found it incredibly easy.

Patience makes truing rims pretty easy. I think.

--
Rick Onanian

>I got an road bike from a friend. It is in a bad shape. the gear, the break are not working, and i
>think the rim need re-adjust
>
>Would it be a terribly big job to repair it myself? (i don't have any experience with bike
>maintenace), or shall i just take it to a shop(I guess it would be very expensive). can you guys
>recommend any resource about repairing? Thanks,

www.sheldonbrown.com .
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

"sjd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I got an road bike from a friend. It is in a bad shape. the gear, the break are not working, and i
> think the rim need re-adjust
>
> Would it be a terribly big job to repair it myself? (i don't have any experience with bike
> maintenace), or shall i just take it to a shop(I guess it would
be
> very expensive). can you guys recommend any resource about repairing? Thanks,

When I lived in Dallas, there was an LBS that offered classes on bike maintenance and repair (you
use your own bike). Check with some of your LBSs; maybe one offers such classes.

"Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> When I lived in Dallas, there was an LBS that offered classes on bike maintenance and repair (you
> use your own bike). Check with some of your LBSs; maybe one offers such classes.

TO an obvious newbie, the term LBS is probably not that helpful. Local bicycle shop.

To the original poster: If you are interested in keeping your bicycle for transportation, see if you
can find a local bicycle co-operative that will help you and provide the tools. I volunteer at such
a place, and we help people keep all sorts of bicycles on the road, and people learn things like how
to straighten wheels, and become self sufficient with their bicycles. The other advantage is they do
not get sold expensive replacement parts from shops when all they need is a bolt or something, as we
can take one out of our junk parts bin, or cobble something together.

Whitfit

I would recommend taking it to a shop, and ask them *(nicely) if they could show you how to maintain
them while they do the repairs. That way you'll now how to do it right.

This maintenance is a good thing to know, and it will tell you if you have a conscientious shop :-3)