Looking for bottom bracket spacer (ITA)

colnalu

Guest
Hi,

I wish to alter my chainline by moving BB and chainset to the right by
2 mm. Cheapest way to do this would be to put in a couple of metal
o-ring spacers between the flange on the RH BB cup and the BB shell. If
I could find some . . .

If this had been an English or French BB, then any old freewheel spacer
rings would've worked, since they are ca. 35,2 mm ID. BTDT and I can't
get them on; an Italian BB requires spacers with ID > 36,0 mm.

The question: Do any of you know of a source for spacer rings with
inside diameter 36,0 mm, thickness 1,0, 1,5, or 2,0 mm, for this
purpose?

Background: Colnago frame Italian BB threads, Campag Record 9sp
drivetrain incl BB 102 mm axle. I do NOT grease the tapers!!! Normally
I wouldn't have to pull stunts like this but these cranks have been
been on and off so many times, that they go too far onto the BB axle
tapers, causing the chainrings to situate a bit too far to the left.
Result is too much chain rub against large ring when riding with
39t-15t (on a 14-22 cassette). I've checked bike shops of all sizes and
pedigrees but no luck. I live on the west coast of Sweden. Even checked
at www.loosescrews.com but no luck there either.

/Robert

colnalu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wish to alter my chainline by moving BB and chainset to the right by
> 2 mm. Cheapest way to do this would be to put in a couple of metal
> o-ring spacers between the flange on the RH BB cup and the BB shell. If
> I could find some . . .
>
> If this had been an English or French BB, then any old freewheel spacer
> rings would've worked, since they are ca. 35,2 mm ID. BTDT and I can't
> get them on; an Italian BB requires spacers with ID > 36,0 mm.
>
> The question: Do any of you know of a source for spacer rings with
> inside diameter 36,0 mm, thickness 1,0, 1,5, or 2,0 mm, for this
> purpose?
>
> Background: Colnago frame Italian BB threads, Campag Record 9sp
> drivetrain incl BB 102 mm axle. I do NOT grease the tapers!!! Normally
> I wouldn't have to pull stunts like this but these cranks have been
> been on and off so many times, that they go too far onto the BB axle
> tapers, causing the chainrings to situate a bit too far to the left.
> Result is too much chain rub against large ring when riding with
> 39t-15t (on a 14-22 cassette). I've checked bike shops of all sizes and
> pedigrees but no luck. I live on the west coast of Sweden. Even checked
> at www.loosescrews.com but no luck there either.
>
> /Robert

I bought one for an English BB and enlarged the ID with a round file.
It didn't take long and works fine.

Bruce.

colnalu wrote:

> Hi,
> The question: Do any of you know of a source for spacer rings with
> inside diameter 36,0 mm, thickness 1,0, 1,5, or 2,0 mm, for this
> purpose?

I just had to move a BB 2 mm to the right today.
I could have machined some spacers. However I was short of time and I had
some 2.5 mm aluminum welding (TIG) rod handy.
This is really soft and I bent it into a circle at the middle of the BB so
that it then spread to a tight fit when moved to the thread area.
Now because this rod is round you would think that it would be forced out
when you tightened the BB.
But no. The circle just does not spread outwards.
Maybe because of its softness it just really stays put and makes a good
spacer which tightens up nicely.
You probably do not have welding rod but it would be worth a quick check
using ordinary wire.

Cost: 0
Time: 1 minute.
Satisfaction: Priceless

Robert

colnalu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wish to alter my chainline by moving BB and chainset to the right by
> 2 mm. Cheapest way to do this would be to put in a couple of metal
> o-ring spacers between the flange on the RH BB cup and the BB shell. If
> I could find some . . .
>
> If this had been an English or French BB, then any old freewheel spacer
> rings would've worked, since they are ca. 35,2 mm ID. BTDT and I can't
> get them on; an Italian BB requires spacers with ID > 36,0 mm.
>
> The question: Do any of you know of a source for spacer rings with
> inside diameter 36,0 mm, thickness 1,0, 1,5, or 2,0 mm, for this
> purpose?
>
> Background: Colnago frame Italian BB threads, Campag Record 9sp
> drivetrain incl BB 102 mm axle. I do NOT grease the tapers!!! Normally
> I wouldn't have to pull stunts like this but these cranks have been
> been on and off so many times, that they go too far onto the BB axle
> tapers, causing the chainrings to situate a bit too far to the left.
> Result is too much chain rub against large ring when riding with
> 39t-15t (on a 14-22 cassette). I've checked bike shops of all sizes and
> pedigrees but no luck. I live on the west coast of Sweden. Even checked
> at www.loosescrews.com but no luck there either.
>
> /Robert

Perhaps splitting the ring would allow enough spread to fit.

Peter Cole wrote:
> colnalu wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I wish to alter my chainline by moving BB and chainset to the right by
> > 2 mm. Cheapest way to do this would be to put in a couple of metal
> > o-ring spacers between the flange on the RH BB cup and the BB shell. If
> > I could find some . . .
> >
> > If this had been an English or French BB, then any old freewheel spacer
> > rings would've worked, since they are ca. 35,2 mm ID. BTDT and I can't
> > get them on; an Italian BB requires spacers with ID > 36,0 mm.
> >
> > The question: Do any of you know of a source for spacer rings with
> > inside diameter 36,0 mm, thickness 1,0, 1,5, or 2,0 mm, for this
> > purpose?
> >
> > Background: Colnago frame Italian BB threads, Campag Record 9sp
> > drivetrain incl BB 102 mm axle. I do NOT grease the tapers!!! Normally
> > I wouldn't have to pull stunts like this but these cranks have been
> > been on and off so many times, that they go too far onto the BB axle
> > tapers, causing the chainrings to situate a bit too far to the left.
> > Result is too much chain rub against large ring when riding with
> > 39t-15t (on a 14-22 cassette). I've checked bike shops of all sizes and
> > pedigrees but no luck. I live on the west coast of Sweden. Even checked
> > at www.loosescrews.com but no luck there either.
> >
> > /Robert
> >

> Perhaps splitting the ring would allow enough spread to fit.

Thanks, all, for excellent advice. My prio order will be 1. file out a
pair of Eng BB spacers to the right size; 2. split them if I get too
impatient when doing (1); 3: find a piece of welding rod if I don't
like the result of (2). /Robert