Helmets for Large Heads?

William Blum

Guest
Any recommendations on getting a helmet meant to fit a large head?

None of the 'large' size helmets in either local bike shop fits me, and I'd like my entire brain to
fit in the bucket, so to speak.

--bill blum

"William Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Any recommendations on getting a helmet meant to fit a large head?
>
> None of the 'large' size helmets in either local bike shop fits me, and I'd like my entire brain
> to fit in the bucket, so to speak.
>
> --bill blum

Giro makes a helmet called the Atlas that's a "universal-large" fit:
http://www.giro.com/usa/cyc_atlas.html . REI sells it: http://tinyurl.com/kx7x . You may be able to
buy it from REI and then return it if the helmet doesn't work for you.

I'm in somewhat the same boat- "large" helmets squeeze me on the forehead. I've either modified the
foam (coarse sandpaper works great) or simply put up with funny red marks on my head. FWIW, my hat
size is 7 5/8- which should fit a "large", but I guess I've got a long, narrow head.

My dad, though, is flat out of luck. His hat size is 8 1/8- there ain't nothing that fits him.
Fortunately he's a history professor, not a cyclist (not that they're mutually exclusive):
http://www.usc.edu/dept/LAS/history/Faculty/f-files/Wills/Wills.htm

Jeff

"Jeff Wills" wrote
> Giro makes a helmet called the Atlas that's a "universal-large" fit:
> http://www.giro.com/usa/cyc_atlas.html . REI sells it: http://tinyurl.com/kx7x . You may be able
> to buy it from REI and then return it if the helmet doesn't work for you.

It figures, the LBS that I didn't check is a Giro dealer. :)

> I'm in somewhat the same boat- "large" helmets squeeze me on the forehead. I've either modified
> the foam (coarse sandpaper works great) or simply put up with funny red marks on my head. FWIW, my
> hat size is 7 5/8- which should fit a "large", but I guess I've got a long, narrow head.

"Large" helmets sit on top of my head like a beanie. Hat size is approx. 7
7/8.

> My dad, though, is flat out of luck. His hat size is 8 1/8- there ain't nothing that fits him.
> Fortunately he's a history professor, not a cyclist (not that they're mutually exclusive):
> http://www.usc.edu/dept/LAS/history/Faculty/f-files/Wills/Wills.htm

How ironic-- I nearly had to buy one of his books for a class this fall. ( My schedule changed, so I
dropped the original history class and signed up for another.)

-bill "only one more year till the BS in Physics" blum

"William Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... <snip> How ironic-- I nearly had to buy one of his books
for a class this fall.
> ( My schedule changed, so I dropped the original history class and signed up for another.)
>
> -bill "only one more year till the BS in Physics" blum

I'll bet there's more money in a Physics degree than there is in History. One of Dad's favorite
shirts proudly announces "Make Big Money: Teach History" ... featuring a cartoon of Karl Marx. ;-)

Jeff

"Jeff Wills" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "William Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> <snip> How ironic-- I nearly had to buy one of his books for a class this fall.
> > ( My schedule changed, so I dropped the original history class and
signed up
> > for another.)
> >
> > -bill "only one more year till the BS in Physics" blum
>
> I'll bet there's more money in a Physics degree than there is in History. One of Dad's favorite
> shirts proudly announces "Make Big Money: Teach History" ... featuring a cartoon of Karl Marx. ;-)
>
> Jeff

Yeah-- even though I'm the "old guy" in classes ( 30, with 2 kids), I've got one confirmed job
offer, and three likely job offers post graduation.

Meanwhile, the local grocery store is overrun with history grads stocking shelves.

On 22 Aug 2003 21:46:50 -0700, [email protected] (Jeff Wills) may have said:

>"William Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> Any recommendations on getting a helmet meant to fit a large head?
>>
>> None of the 'large' size helmets in either local bike shop fits me, and I'd like my entire brain
>> to fit in the bucket, so to speak.
>>
>> --bill blum
>
>Giro makes a helmet called the Atlas that's a "universal-large" fit:
>http://www.giro.com/usa/cyc_atlas.html . REI sells it: http://tinyurl.com/kx7x . You may be able to
>buy it from REI and then return it if the helmet doesn't work for you.
>
>I'm in somewhat the same boat- "large" helmets squeeze me on the forehead. I've either modified the
>foam (coarse sandpaper works great) or simply put up with funny red marks on my head. FWIW, my hat
>size is 7 5/8- which should fit a "large", but I guess I've got a long, narrow head.
>
>My dad, though, is flat out of luck. His hat size is 8 1/8- there ain't nothing that fits him.
>Fortunately he's a history professor, not a cyclist (not that they're mutually exclusive):
>http://www.usc.edu/dept/LAS/history/Faculty/f-files/Wills/Wills.htm

Oddly enough, I'm a 7 7/8, and a large Bell fits me just fine. I tried to get a better one, and they
*didn't* fit, so I'm still using the Bell. A little more ventilation would be nice, but it's
tolerable.

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 21:48:24 -0400, "William Blum" <[email protected]> may
have said:

>"Jeff Wills" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> "William Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> <snip> How ironic-- I nearly had to buy one of his books for a class this fall.
>> > ( My schedule changed, so I dropped the original history class and
>signed up
>> > for another.)
>> >
>> > -bill "only one more year till the BS in Physics" blum
>>
>> I'll bet there's more money in a Physics degree than there is in History. One of Dad's
>> favorite shirts proudly announces "Make Big Money: Teach History" ... featuring a cartoon of
>> Karl Marx. ;-)
>>
>> Jeff
>
>Yeah-- even though I'm the "old guy" in classes ( 30, with 2 kids), I've got one confirmed job
>offer, and three likely job offers post graduation.
>
>Meanwhile, the local grocery store is overrun with history grads stocking shelves.

For a laugh:

http://www.instantattitudes.com/gifs/bs298.gif

"Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Oddly enough, I'm a 7 7/8, and a large Bell fits me just fine. I tried to get a better one, and
> they *didn't* fit, so I'm still using the Bell. A little more ventilation would be nice, but it's
> tolerable.

Not sure of my size, but my head is very large (so is the rest of me @ 6'10"). I've had a couple of
Bell helmets, they fit fine.

"William Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Any recommendations on getting a helmet meant to fit a large head?
>
> None of the 'large' size helmets in either local bike shop fits me, and I'd like my entire brain
> to fit in the bucket, so to speak.
>
> --bill blum

I too have a very large head and 12 years ago I bought the extra large giro and still had to grind
out material from the front and back and a little from the top inside to get it to fit down on my
head. I would like to get a new helmet but the new ones have less material in them and there isn't
much to grind out of them any more. The only ones withe more material in them are the $30 to $60
models but they are not very fancy looking. So for now I live with my old helmet.