or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Other Stuff › Archives › General health and fitness › Health and nutrition › Food and nutrition › Difference between Canned Tuna in Water Vs Oil?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Difference between Canned Tuna in Water Vs Oil?

post #1 of 33
What is the difference other than additional calories due to the oil?
Do most restaurants use the tuna in oil?
post #2 of 33

Re: Difference between Canned Tuna in Water Vs Oil?

Toddlers_mom wrote:
> What is the difference other than additional calories due to the oil?
> Do most restaurants use the tuna in oil?

Flavor?
post #3 of 33

Toddlers_mom wrote:
> What is the difference other than additional calories due to the oil?
> Do most restaurants use the tuna in oil?

If you're used to the oil, it seems to have more flavor, though not
neccessarily tuna flavor. For years, growing up and later, I ate my
tuna packed in oil. When I started eating healthier, I switched to tuna
in water. For a while, I really missed the oily flavor. After a few
years, I accidentally bought a can of tuna in oil. I decided to go
ahead and eat it as a "treat". YUCK! Couldn't believe how bad it
tasted. Of course, I had cut a lot of the oils in my diet, and my taste
buds have changed. But the one or two times I've somehow gotten the
tuna in oil since, I've returned it.
post #4 of 33

Re: Difference between Canned Tuna in Water Vs Oil?

Goomba38 <Goomba38@comcast.net> wrote in news:14ednb5sLL8bK2bfRVn-
3Q@comcast.com:

> Toddlers_mom wrote:
>> What is the difference other than additional calories due to the oil?
>> Do most restaurants use the tuna in oil?

> Flavor?

Flavor is it for me. I almost always buy the tuna packed in oil.
Sometimes I'll buy the water packed but not often. I don't know what
restaurants use.

Michael
post #5 of 33

"Toddlers_mom" <rajsre_nair@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What is the difference other than additional calories due to the oil?
> Do most restaurants use the tuna in oil?

The difference is taste. In water tuna is wimpy and rather tasteless. In oil
it is flavorful and delicious. Of course you need to look for tuna in olive
oil. I suppose there are brands that pack it in other oils, and they may be
good, but the OO is the real deal.

--
Peter Aitken
post #6 of 33

paitken@CRAPnc.rr.com writes:
>"Toddlers_mom" <rajsre_nair@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> What is the difference other than additional calories due to the oil?
>> Do most restaurants use the tuna in oil?
>>

>The difference is taste. In water tuna is wimpy and rather tasteless. In oil
>it is flavorful and delicious. Of course you need to look for tuna in olive
>oil. I suppose there are brands that pack it in other oils, and they may be
>good, but the OO is the real deal.

If you're concerned about taste you shouldn't be buying canned tuna in the
first place. Even if you're buying "premium" canned tuna you're probably
paying more than if you bought frozen tuna steaks and cooked it yourself.
post #7 of 33

On Thu 11 Aug 2005 04:12:59p, tert in seattle wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> paitken@CRAPnc.rr.com writes:
>>"Toddlers_mom" <rajsre_nair@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> What is the difference other than additional calories due to the oil?
>>> Do most restaurants use the tuna in oil?
>>>

>>The difference is taste. In water tuna is wimpy and rather tasteless. In
>>oil it is flavorful and delicious. Of course you need to look for tuna
>>in olive oil. I suppose there are brands that pack it in other oils, and
>>they may be good, but the OO is the real deal.

> If you're concerned about taste you shouldn't be buying canned tuna in
> the first place. Even if you're buying "premium" canned tuna you're
> probably paying more than if you bought frozen tuna steaks and cooked it
> yourself.

I love fresh tuna, but it would definitely not be my choice if I wanted
tuna for a tuna salad. There is no single "best" for everything!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0532-3, 08/10/2005
Tested on: 8/11/2005 4:22:12 PM
post #8 of 33

waynesgang@waynes.gang writes:
>On Thu 11 Aug 2005 04:12:59p, tert in seattle wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> paitken@CRAPnc.rr.com writes:
>>>"Toddlers_mom" <rajsre_nair@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>>

>>>The difference is taste. In water tuna is wimpy and rather tasteless. In
>>>oil it is flavorful and delicious. Of course you need to look for tuna
>>>in olive oil. I suppose there are brands that pack it in other oils, and
>>>they may be good, but the OO is the real deal.

>> If you're concerned about taste you shouldn't be buying canned tuna in
>> the first place. Even if you're buying "premium" canned tuna you're
>> probably paying more than if you bought frozen tuna steaks and cooked it
>> yourself.

>I love fresh tuna, but it would definitely not be my choice if I wanted
>tuna for a tuna salad. There is no single "best" for everything!

What's wrong with cooking your own tuna for tuna salad? At least
you know a ton of salt hasn't been added, it hasn't been packed
in some low quality oil that it's steeped in for 6 months, and you
can make sure it isn't overcooked. All this assumes the availability
of cheap frozen tuna steaks.
post #9 of 33

On Thu 11 Aug 2005 04:48:48p, tert in seattle wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> waynesgang@waynes.gang writes:

>>> If you're concerned about taste you shouldn't be buying canned tuna in
>>> the first place. Even if you're buying "premium" canned tuna you're
>>> probably paying more than if you bought frozen tuna steaks and cooked
>>> it yourself.

>>I love fresh tuna, but it would definitely not be my choice if I wanted
>>tuna for a tuna salad. There is no single "best" for everything!

> What's wrong with cooking your own tuna for tuna salad? At least
> you know a ton of salt hasn't been added, it hasn't been packed
> in some low quality oil that it's steeped in for 6 months, and you
> can make sure it isn't overcooked. All this assumes the availability
> of cheap frozen tuna steaks.

Nothing's wrong with it, I just don't prefer it. It's no different than
someone preferring catsup over mustard on a hotdog. There's no accounting
for taste. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0532-3, 08/10/2005
Tested on: 8/11/2005 6:15:52 PM
post #10 of 33

"tert in seattle" <tert@ftupet.com> wrote in message
> waynesgang@waynes.gang writes:

>>> If you're concerned about taste you shouldn't be buying canned tuna in
>>> the first place. Even if you're buying "premium" canned tuna you're
>>> probably paying more than if you bought frozen tuna steaks and cooked it
>>> yourself.

>>I love fresh tuna, but it would definitely not be my choice if I wanted
>>tuna for a tuna salad. There is no single "best" for everything!

> What's wrong with cooking your own tuna for tuna salad? At least
> you know a ton of salt hasn't been added, it hasn't been packed
> in some low quality oil that it's steeped in for 6 months, and you
> can make sure it isn't overcooked. All this assumes the availability
> of cheap frozen tuna steaks.

How about I don't like fresh tuna for tuna salad? What's wrong with using
the tuna you like? Just because you choose to eat fresh tuna all the time
doesn't mean everyone needs to feel the same. Fresh tuna is wonderful but it
certainly isn't my first choice for tuna salad, and IMO, would be wasted as
such.

kimberly

post #11 of 33

nexis1@cox.net writes:

>"tert in seattle" <tert@ftupet.com> wrote in message
>> waynesgang@waynes.gang writes:

>>>I love fresh tuna, but it would definitely not be my choice if I wanted
>>>tuna for a tuna salad. There is no single "best" for everything!

>> What's wrong with cooking your own tuna for tuna salad? At least
>> you know a ton of salt hasn't been added, it hasn't been packed
>> in some low quality oil that it's steeped in for 6 months, and you
>> can make sure it isn't overcooked. All this assumes the availability
>> of cheap frozen tuna steaks.

>How about I don't like fresh tuna for tuna salad? What's wrong with using
>the tuna you like? Just because you choose to eat fresh tuna all the time
>doesn't mean everyone needs to feel the same. Fresh tuna is wonderful but it
>certainly isn't my first choice for tuna salad, and IMO, would be wasted as
>such.

I understand, we live in modern times and with the hurried pace of
life nowadays people only read every other word to save time. The
word that seems to get missed most often today is frozen... and the
idea ends up being completely lost. I give up.
post #12 of 33

"Mark D" <mmd49@webtv.net> wrote in message
> One of my more liked Canned Tuna was "Genova" Tonno from Italy, and it
> is packed in Olive Oil. (Although I think Chicken of the Sea Was the
> Distributor-manufacturer?) There are other good Imported Tunas in Olive
> Oil that I've tried, mostly from Italy and I generally like these better
> than whats available off the shelves from the big supermarkets.
>
> Yes, they're usually a bit more pricier, but I think it's worth it.
> You'll find these types of Tuna in Import Stores mostly. Mark

When evaluating canned versus fresh tuna you need to keep in mind the fact
that some kinds of tuna are not available fresh in the US. For example, the
tuna caught off Sicily is certaihnly not available fresh, or even frozen
AFAIK. It is available canned and it is just about the best.

--
Peter Aitken
post #13 of 33

On Fri 12 Aug 2005 06:34:10a, tert in seattle wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> nexis1@cox.net writes:
>>
>>"tert in seattle" <tert@ftupet.com> wrote in message

>>> What's wrong with cooking your own tuna for tuna salad? At least
>>> you know a ton of salt hasn't been added, it hasn't been packed
>>> in some low quality oil that it's steeped in for 6 months, and you
>>> can make sure it isn't overcooked. All this assumes the availability
>>> of cheap frozen tuna steaks.

>>How about I don't like fresh tuna for tuna salad? What's wrong with
>>using the tuna you like? Just because you choose to eat fresh tuna all
>>the time doesn't mean everyone needs to feel the same. Fresh tuna is
>>wonderful but it certainly isn't my first choice for tuna salad, and
>>IMO, would be wasted as such.

> I understand, we live in modern times and with the hurried pace of
> life nowadays people only read every other word to save time. The
> word that seems to get missed most often today is frozen... and the
> idea ends up being completely lost. I give up.

The word "frozen" was not lost on me. I simply like and prefer canned tuna
for tuna salad.

We don't eat a lot of fish, but I never buy frozen fish. If, when we do
have fish, I cannot buy it fresh, then I simply don't buy it.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
post #14 of 33

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 02:01:18 -0700, Nexis wrote:

> How about I don't like fresh tuna for tuna salad? What's wrong with using
> the tuna you like? Just because you choose to eat fresh tuna all the time
> doesn't mean everyone needs to feel the same. Fresh tuna is wonderful but it
> certainly isn't my first choice for tuna salad, and IMO, would be wasted as
> such.

I agree. I use water packed tuna for tuna salad and don't waste fresh
tuna on it.
post #15 of 33

PENMART01@aol.com writes:

>tert in seattle wrote:
>> paitken@CRAPnc.rr.com writes:
>> >"Toddlers_mom" <rajsre_nair@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> >>

>> >The difference is taste. In water tuna is wimpy and rather tasteless. In oil
>> >it is flavorful and delicious. Of course you need to look for tuna in olive
>> >oil. I suppose there are brands that pack it in other oils, and they may be
>> >good, but the OO is the real deal.

>> If you're concerned about taste you shouldn't be buying canned tuna in the
>> first place. Even if you're buying "premium" canned tuna you're probably
>> paying more than if you bought frozen tuna steaks and cooked it yourself.

>You got a recipe for replicating canned tuna?

yes -- bake your tuna, then cook it a second time in the can; add saline
for the packed in water style, otherwise add soybean and/or other vegetable
oils if the packed in oil style is preferred; place in cat dish
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition