Ken Kifer's site mirrored

Sheldon Brown

Guest
Ken Kifer, of Scottsboro, Alabama was a long-time cyclist, and created a very fine Web site full of
useful information for touring and other cyclists. He was struck and killed by an allegedly drunk
driver in September 2003.

His Web site is too useful and valuable to allow it to vanish when his hosting bill falls due. I
have attempted to contact his heirs without success, and in the absence of any contact, I have taken
the liberty of mirroring his site at this location to preserve it for the benefit of the cycling
community.

The url is http://sheldonbrown.com/kifer

If Ken's heir(s) have any objection to this, they have only to ask and I'll remove or modify these
pages as they prefer.

Sheldon "Picking Up The Torch" Brown Newtonville, Massachusetts
| It is easier to ask forgiveness | than it is to get permission | --Admiral Grace Hopper |
+----------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

Sheldon:

The first two websites I kept getting referred to when I decided to break down, get a bicycle, and
start riding again were your site and Ken's site, respectively.

Thanks for taking the initative to mirror the site-- it'd be a loss to the community if it
disappeared.

-bill blum springfield, oh happy new bike owner.

> Ken Kifer, of Scottsboro, Alabama was a long-time cyclist, and created a very fine Web site full
> of useful information for touring and other cyclists. He was struck and killed by an allegedly
> drunk driver in September 2003.
>
> His Web site is too useful and valuable to allow it to vanish when his hosting bill falls due. I
> have attempted to contact his heirs without success, and in the absence of any contact, I have
> taken the liberty of mirroring his site at this location to preserve it for the benefit of the
> cycling community.
>
> The url is http://sheldonbrown.com/kifer
>
> If Ken's heir(s) have any objection to this, they have only to ask and I'll remove or modify these
> pages as they prefer.
>
> Sheldon "Picking Up The Torch" Brown Newtonville, Massachusetts
> +----------------------------------------+
> | It is easier to ask forgiveness | than it is to get permission | --Admiral Grace Hopper |
> +----------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
> 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
> http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

I believe I read in RBM, that his relatives were actually looking for people to mirror, so I'm sure
it will be well received.

What a senseless tragedy.

Chris : (

> Ken Kifer, of Scottsboro, Alabama was a long-time cyclist, and created a very fine Web site full
> of useful information for touring and other cyclists. He was struck and killed by an allegedly
> drunk driver in September 2003.
>
> His Web site is too useful and valuable to allow it to vanish when his hosting bill falls due. I
> have attempted to contact his heirs without success, and in the absence of any contact, I have
> taken the liberty of mirroring his site at this location to preserve it for the benefit of the
> cycling community.
>
> The url is http://sheldonbrown.com/kifer
>
> If Ken's heir(s) have any objection to this, they have only to ask and I'll remove or modify these
> pages as they prefer.
>
> Sheldon "Picking Up The Torch" Brown Newtonville, Massachusetts
> +----------------------------------------+
> | It is easier to ask forgiveness | than it is to get permission | --Admiral Grace Hopper |
> +----------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
> 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
> http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

Sat, 20 Sep 2003 15:03:38 -0400, <[email protected]>, Sheldon Brown
<[email protected]> wrote: \snip
>His Web site is too useful and valuable to allow it to vanish when his hosting bill falls due. I
>have attempted to contact his heirs without success, and in the absence of any contact, I have
>taken the liberty of mirroring his site at this location to preserve it for the benefit of the
>cycling community.
>
>The url is http://sheldonbrown.com/kifer
>
>If Ken's heir(s) have any objection to this, they have only to ask and I'll remove or modify these
>pages as they prefer.
>
>Sheldon "Picking Up The Torch" Brown Newtonville, Massachusetts
>+----------------------------------------+
>| It is easier to ask forgiveness | than it is to get permission | --Admiral Grace Hopper |
>+----------------------------------------+

Impecable.

From: [email protected] (Karen M.) Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc Subject: Re: Missouri (sic)
Bike Advocate Killed by Drunk Driver (Ken Kifer) Date: 16 Sep 2003 06:56:38 -0700 Message-ID:
<[email protected]>
===/

Here's an informative post from the bicyclingadvocacy NG on Yahoo.

--Karen M.

< I'm Ken Kifer's daughter-in-law. I came to this group hoping to get word to the online biking
community about his death, but it seems that the news has already reached it. Nathan and I very much
want to keep his website up, but as we both tend toward Ludditism neither of us knows how to do
this. I noticed one post (I'm sorry, I've forgotten the name of the poster,) who offered to host it.
We would love it if someone could continue his site and legacy.

Funeral arrangements have not yet been decided. We're not sure whether to bury him in a plot his
father purchased him a few years ago, or to scatter his ashes in the woods he so dearly loved.
Arrangements are being made through Callyer Butler Funeral Home in Gasden AL.

I'm in shock, and don't know what else to write at this point. Ken was such a wonderful person...

Please feel free to send this message to whoever cared about Ken and would like to read it. I know
he had many friends on the internet, and I have no way to know how to contact them.

Tanya Brecht (I kept my maiden name)

--
zk

Sat, 20 Sep 2003 15:03:38 -0400, <[email protected]>, Sheldon Brown
<[email protected]> wrote: \snip
>His Web site is too useful and valuable to allow it to vanish when his hosting bill falls due. I
>have attempted to contact his heirs without success, and in the absence of any contact, I have
>taken the liberty of mirroring his site at this location to preserve it for the benefit of the
>cycling community.
>
>The url is http://sheldonbrown.com/kifer
>
>If Ken's heir(s) have any objection to this, they have only to ask and I'll remove or modify these
>pages as they prefer.
>
>Sheldon "Picking Up The Torch" Brown Newtonville, Massachusetts
>+----------------------------------------+
>| It is easier to ask forgiveness | than it is to get permission | --Admiral Grace Hopper |
>+----------------------------------------+

Impeccable.

From: [email protected] (Karen M.) Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc Subject: Re: Missouri (sic)
[...]

<snip>

> Ken Kifer, of Scottsboro, Alabama was a long-time cyclist, and created a very fine Web site full
> of useful information for touring and other cyclists. He was struck and killed by an allegedly
> drunk driver in September 2003.
>
> His Web site is too useful and valuable to allow it to vanish when his hosting bill falls due. I
> have attempted to contact his heirs without success, and in the absence of any contact, I have
> taken the liberty of mirroring his site at this location to preserve it for the benefit of the
> cycling community.
>
> The url is http://sheldonbrown.com/kifer

Sheldon, we are all deeply in your debt. THANK YOU!

---Stash

Sheldon Brown continues his valuable contribution to the cycling community by stating upon Ken
Kifer's untimely death:

>His Web site is too useful and valuable to allow it to vanish when his hosting bill falls due. I
>have attempted to contact his heirs without success, and in the absence of any contact, I have
>taken the liberty of mirroring his site at this location to preserve it for the benefit of the
>cycling community.

>The url is http://sheldonbrown.com/kifer

Thanks Sheldon. I've book marked it.

Jim

A truly class move!

Makes me feel proud to be part of a community where one of the true gurus doesn't feel "threatened" by paying homage to another.

Kind of makes up for some of the frivilous pissin matches that can occur at the other end of the membership spectrum.

We are even deeper in debt to Sheldon for this most recent in a long line of community services.

John

You rule Sheldon!

So does your site.

> Ken Kifer, of Scottsboro, Alabama was a long-time cyclist, and created a very fine Web site full
> of useful information for touring and other cyclists. He was struck and killed by an allegedly
> drunk driver in September 2003.
>
> His Web site is too useful and valuable to allow it to vanish when his hosting bill falls due. I
> have attempted to contact his heirs without success, and in the absence of any contact, I have
> taken the liberty of mirroring his site at this location to preserve it for the benefit of the
> cycling community.
>
> The url is http://sheldonbrown.com/kifer
>
> If Ken's heir(s) have any objection to this, they have only to ask and I'll remove or modify these
> pages as they prefer.
>
> Sheldon "Picking Up The Torch" Brown Newtonville, Massachusetts
> +----------------------------------------+
> | It is easier to ask forgiveness | than it is to get permission | --Admiral Grace Hopper |
> +----------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
> 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
> http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

Now we have the second best bike website and the best bike website on the same server!

Which is which I shall leave as an excersise to the reader.

Peter

Sheldon wrote:
> Ken Kifer, of Scottsboro, Alabama was a long-time cyclist, and created a very fine Web site full
> of useful information for touring and other cyclists. He was struck and killed by an allegedly
> drunk driver in September 2003.
>
> His Web site is too useful and valuable to allow it to vanish when his hosting bill falls due. I
> have attempted to contact his heirs without success, and in the absence of any contact, I have
> taken the liberty of mirroring his site at this location to preserve it for the benefit of the
> cycling community.
>
> The url is http://sheldonbrown.com/kifer
>
> If Ken's heir(s) have any objection to this, they have only to ask and I'll remove or modify these
> pages as they prefer.
>
> Sheldon "Picking Up The Torch" Brown

When I saw and re-posted the poignant message from Ken's DIL, I thought that your site would be a
good one for Ken's pages. The Yahoo group bicyclingadvocacy is where I saw her message. Likely
possible to contact her through postings therein. Thank you! --Karen M.

Sheldon Brown wrote:

> Ken Kifer, of Scottsboro, Alabama was a long-time cyclist, and created a very fine Web site full
> of useful information for touring and other cyclists. He was struck and killed by an allegedly
> drunk driver in September 2003.
>
> His Web site is too useful and valuable to allow it to vanish when his hosting bill falls due. I
> have attempted to contact his heirs without success, and in the absence of any contact, I have
> taken the liberty of mirroring his site at this location to preserve it for the benefit of the
> cycling community.
>
> The url is http://sheldonbrown.com/kifer
>
> If Ken's heir(s) have any objection to this, they have only to ask and I'll remove or modify these
> pages as they prefer.
>
> Sheldon "Picking Up The Torch" Brown

Thanks Sheldon. Mostly though I'm just sad about Ken and sad for his family. This is the first time
I've heard the bad news.

gwhite wrote:

> Sheldon Brown wrote:
>
>>Ken Kifer, of Scottsboro, Alabama was a long-time cyclist, and created a very fine Web site full
>>of useful information for touring and other cyclists. He was struck and killed by an allegedly
>>drunk driver in September 2003.
>>
>>His Web site is too useful and valuable to allow it to vanish when his hosting bill falls due. I
>>have attempted to contact his heirs without success, and in the absence of any contact, I have
>>taken the liberty of mirroring his site at this location to preserve it for the benefit of the
>>cycling community.
>>
>>The url is http://sheldonbrown.com/kifer
>>
>>If Ken's heir(s) have any objection to this, they have only to ask and I'll remove or modify these
>>pages as they prefer.
>>
>>Sheldon "Picking Up The Torch" Brown
>

> Thanks Sheldon. Mostly though I'm just sad about Ken and sad for his family. This is the first
> time I've heard the bad news.

I hope someone can make contact with the family if only to let them know the number of people who
are saddened(Sp?) by his passing.

Stan Cox

Sheldon Brown wrote:

> Ken Kifer, of Scottsboro, Alabama was a long-time cyclist, and created a very fine Web site full
> of useful information for touring and other cyclists. He was struck and killed by an allegedly
> drunk driver in September 2003.
>
> His Web site is too useful and valuable to allow it to vanish when his hosting bill falls due. I
> have attempted to contact his heirs without success, and in the absence of any contact, I have
> taken the liberty of mirroring his site at this location to preserve it for the benefit of the
> cycling community.
>
> The url is http://sheldonbrown.com/kifer
>
> If Ken's heir(s) have any objection to this, they have only to ask and I'll remove or modify these
> pages as they prefer.
>
> Sheldon "Picking Up The Torch" Brown Newtonville, Massachusetts

Thank you Sheldon.

Thank you, Ken.

Thanks,Sheldon your are doing a great service for you fellow cyclist. Greg