V brakes for Muni?

trials_uni

Guest
Has anyone used v brakes on a Muni before... id really like to add
brakes to my Muni but i havent fgot the money for Maguras.

Are V brakes going to work for a Muni? How do they compare to Maguras?

Thanks
-Phil.

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR

ah..i think they can fit on a tire up to 2.6". They are fine, maybe
quite not as powerfull as the hydraulic brakes, but still good. I would
like them because i cant adjust the hydraulic brakes like i could a V-B
without bringing them to a bike shop to put more fluid or whatever in.
Also, hydraulic brakes can leak if u pull on the lines or fall and
brake, or tar a line. Mine leak a little right now when i pull the
lever in all the way.

but overall hydraulic Magura brakes are probably still more worth the
money than VB's.

;)

--
musketman

MUSKETMAN

www.unicycle.com
musketman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9214

trials_uni wrote:
> id really like to add brakes to my Muni but i havent fgot the money for
> Maguras.

"L-brakes" are even cheaper. (L = Leg) ;)

Seriously, with 170mm cranks you'd have to go down some treacherously
steep and gnarly trail to really need brakes.

--
phlegm
phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382

phlegm wrote:
> "L-brakes" are even cheaper. (L = Leg) ;)
>
> Seriously, with 170mm cranks you'd have to go down some treacherously
> steep and gnarly trail to really need brakes.

Yeah but mine _look_ so cool! ANd I do use them regularly. Sure saves
my quads on the steep grades!

--
terrybigwheel

Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:

You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"! :D
terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

~i run mags not Vs~\
V's can be run on aney with tire as long as the mounts are far enough
apart to clear. I read somewhere once that the main reason people dont
realy run v's for muni is because the normaly stick out further than
mags and would hit your legs and such

--
unicyclepa

www.unicyclepa.com
we suck
but its all good
team YAMS member in your sig or title and say
unicyclepa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9246

Bear in mind that if your frame has brake mounts already (like the KH
frames) they're probably magura specific mounts.

V-brakes work fine on munis as long as you the arms are long enough to
go over your tyre. They don't have the same issues maguras have with
breaking the lines in a crash, or the lines breaking when the unicycle
is being transported places. You can fit them on a 3" tyre.

They do poke out a little bit, not much different to maguras, but a
little bit higher up, which doesn't make a difference to me, but if you
do a lot of seat out front hopping it might annoy you slightly.

Some people who haven't tried them claim that v-brakes can be
accidentally knocked onto the tyre by your legs causing them to lock
on. This doesn't happen in real life.

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

Ok great...So does anyone kno a way(without welding) that i can attach
the mounts to the frame?

And terry is right...Brakes make a Muni look cooler. Plus with some
'Nokon Cables' (http://www.bikemag.com/gear/nokon_brake_cable/) it
would look so sweet!!

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR

you can get brake mount adapters that use hose clamps. They cost about
£20 and are a bit shonky. Most of them won't work on a large tyre.

Alternatively, getting brake mounts welded on by a bike shop costs
about £30, and should work round any tyre as long as they're fitted
right.

If you're thinking of nokon cables you could probably get maguras off
ebay or somewhere for about the same as the cables cost. If you're only
going v-brake for the cost posh cables don't make sense.

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

Thing is my Nokons are free... My buddy bought a set for his BMX and he
didnt need all of it so he gave the rest to me and its plenty for a Uni
setup.

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR

My advice for getting your mounts welded on: find a local welding shop
or two in your area, and show up ~30 mins before closing time. Have
the mounts already set up on your frame (clamped on), or at least have
the mounting location clearly marked on your frame so the set up won't
take much time. Ask one of the welders if he can tack on your mounts
and you could probably get it done for pocket change. After the set
up, it's all of 10 minutes of work

phlegm wrote:
> Seriously, with 170mm cranks you'd have to go down some treacherously
> steep and gnarly trail to really need brakes.

+1

If you're only dealing with short sections (~40-50 ft) of intense
downhill, you can just crank on your handle and stomp on your pedals
and make it through.

On the contrary, another situation that calls for brakes (esp. a drag
brake) is a long fire road descent. A couple miles of gentle smooth
downhill will get my knees singing those sad songs.

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx