What did Nencini ride to win the 1960 Tour de France?

Gastone Nencini won the 1960 Tour de France for Carpano. (Ride
bike--drink vermouth.)

My 2nd edition of Berto's "Dancing Chain" says that Nencini won the
Tour with a Campagnolo derailleur, but it coyly says "No brand" in the
bicycle column.

No brand?

Here are some pictures.

Definitely during the 1960 Tour:
http://tourdefrance.nl/pics/fotos/60GastoneNencini2.jpg

Maybe during the 1960 Tour:
http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/images/palmares/nencini_gastone.jpg

Obviously not a yellow jersey, but the most common picture:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/71/Gastone_Nencini.jpg
(Note the "Nencini" support car in the background.)

Earlier, Nencini probably rode Colgate--er, Colnago for Chlorodont:
http://www.colnagonews.com/prova2/storia/1957.htm
(Ride bike--brush teeth.)

Or even earlier a Stucchi:
http://www.ciclomuseo-bartali.it/testi/biciclette/biciclettastucchi.htm

So what the hell did Nencini ride in the 1960 Tour de France? A Fury
RoadMaster?

Carl Fogel

Well, it's pretty hard to say what anyone ever rode! Examples: Lance's
1999 Trek decals on his Lightspeed. In 1997, Brochard and Viranque had
Peugeot decals on their Lightspeeds. What Eddy Merckx rode is a matter
of debate, but I've heard Masi and Colnago a lot. For those who have
read about the 1986 7-11 team, those Huffys were built by Thom Kellogg...

richard wrote:
> Well, it's pretty hard to say what anyone ever rode! Examples: Lance's
> 1999 Trek decals on his Lightspeed. In 1997, Brochard and Viranque had
> Peugeot decals on their Lightspeeds. What Eddy Merckx rode is a matter
> of debate, but I've heard Masi and Colnago a lot. For those who have
> read about the 1986 7-11 team, those Huffys were built by Thom Kellogg...
>
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Gastone Nencini won the 1960 Tour de France for Carpano. (Ride
> > bike--drink vermouth.)
> >
> > My 2nd edition of Berto's "Dancing Chain" says that Nencini won the
> > Tour with a Campagnolo derailleur, but it coyly says "No brand" in the
> > bicycle column.
> >
> > No brand?
> >
> > Here are some pictures.
> >
> > Definitely during the 1960 Tour:
> > http://tourdefrance.nl/pics/fotos/60GastoneNencini2.jpg
> >
> > Maybe during the 1960 Tour:
> > http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/images/palmares/nencini_gastone.jpg
> >
> > Obviously not a yellow jersey, but the most common picture:
> > http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/71/Gastone_Nencini.jpg
> > (Note the "Nencini" support car in the background.)
> >
> > Earlier, Nencini probably rode Colgate--er, Colnago for Chlorodont:
> > http://www.colnagonews.com/prova2/storia/1957.htm
> > (Ride bike--brush teeth.)
> >
> > Or even earlier a Stucchi:
> > http://www.ciclomuseo-bartali.it/testi/biciclette/biciclettastucchi.htm
> >
> > So what the hell did Nencini ride in the 1960 Tour de France? A Fury
> > RoadMaster?
> >
> > Carl Fogel

Merckx on Faema rode Colnagos as Ernesto was the team wrench and frame
maker. Molteni, is was DeRosa....

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 07:33:57 -0500, richard <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Well, it's pretty hard to say what anyone ever rode! Examples: Lance's
>1999 Trek decals on his Lightspeed. In 1997, Brochard and Viranque had
>Peugeot decals on their Lightspeeds. What Eddy Merckx rode is a matter
>of debate, but I've heard Masi and Colnago a lot. For those who have
>read about the 1986 7-11 team, those Huffys were built by Thom Kellogg...

Dear Richard,

Yes, re-badging happens--but no one's even willing to fib about what
Nencini rode!

From 1930 to 1939, the Tour used generic bicycles, but since 1946 the
winners had been been using particular brands, or at least particular
badging.

Was Nencini in the middle of some weird dispute with his sponsor?

Did Nencini pedal to victory on a Schwinn so badly re-badged as a
"Colnago" that no reporter could bring himself to repeat the lie?

Was the bike Nencini rode so awful that he broke it and every spare
and finished on someone else's bike?

Was Nencini just so angry that he rode some no-name bike to prove that
it didn't matter what anyone rode?

Did the badge just fall off Nencini's bike, so no reporter could tell
what it was supposed to be?

I'm pretty sure that I can look up the name of whatever the winning
jockey rode in the 1960 Kentucky Derby or the brand of motorcycle that
the winner rode in the 1960 Scottish Six Day Trial.

It's as if no one knew who managed the Pirates when they won the 1960
World Series--why the mystery exists in the first place is more
interesting than the actual answer.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel