How bad can a tear get

nash

Guest
Repaired my tire with a dime, rubber patch, duck(t) tape, and now it is
popping through again.
Should I put a quarter or nickel in instead. I have a piece of rubber
grips for handle bars I could put in. I just had the pansela for about a
year and i hate to throw it away.
rip is about 1/2". A quarter may cause problems since they are only 1.25"
tires,
100psi.
Anyone with much experience with this problem?

Thank-you
Zen

> Repaired my tire with a dime, rubber patch, duck(t) tape, and now it is
> popping through again.
> Should I put a quarter or nickel in instead. I have a piece of rubber
> grips for handle bars I could put in. I just had the pansela for about a
> year and i hate to throw it away.
> rip is about 1/2". A quarter may cause problems since they are only 1.25"
> tires,
> 100psi.
> Anyone with much experience with this problem?
>
> Thank-you
> Zen

You need to save your dimes, quarters & nickels and buy a new tire. Unless
you really want to find out how good your local EMTs are, that is. It's OK
to plug a very small hole with reinforced fabric (blue jean material, thin
piece of an old tire etc), but large casing ruptures are dangerous. Doesn't
matter how old or new it is; I remember blowing a Clement Criterium Seat
Extra (which would now sell for about $100) to bits on its first ride, just
out of my driveway. Ouch.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

nash wrote:
> Repaired my tire with a dime, rubber patch, duck(t) tape, and now it
> is popping through again.
> Should I put a quarter or nickel in instead. I have a piece of
> rubber grips for handle bars I could put in. I just had the pansela
> for about a year and i hate to throw it away.
> rip is about 1/2". A quarter may cause problems since they are only
> 1.25" tires,
> 100psi.
> Anyone with much experience with this problem?

Try a Twenty.

"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> nash wrote:
>> Repaired my tire with a dime, rubber patch, duck(t) tape, and now it
>> is popping through again.
>> Should I put a quarter or nickel in instead. I have a piece of
>> rubber grips for handle bars I could put in. I just had the pansela
>> for about a year and i hate to throw it away.
>> rip is about 1/2". A quarter may cause problems since they are only
>> 1.25" tires,
>> 100psi.
>> Anyone with much experience with this problem?

> Try a Twenty.

Excellent. Thanks everyone. : ))

"Bill Sornson" wrote: Try a Twenty.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Guy is in a restroom booth, and calls out: "I'm out of toilet paper--what
should I do?" Answer from outside: "Use a dollar bill." Voice from inside:
"Anyone got change for a twenty?"

On Mar 7, 2:09 pm, "nash" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Repaired my tire with a dime, rubber patch, duck(t) tape, and now it is
> popping through again.
> Should I put a quarter or nickel in instead. I have a piece of rubber
> grips for handle bars I could put in. I just had the pansela for about a
> year and i hate to throw it away.
> rip is about 1/2". A quarter may cause problems since they are only 1.25"
> tires,
> 100psi.
> Anyone with much experience with this problem?
>
> Thank-you
> Zen

It's already got there. Throw that tyre away and get a new one. All
those tricks for fixing a split tyre are for getting you home or to
the bike shop so you can fit another tyre.

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 18:09:25 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, "nash"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Repaired my tire with a dime, rubber patch, duck(t) tape, and now it is
> popping through again.

wake up, dude, the tire is past gone. puncture repairs in the
tread are ok, but once the sidewall is ripped or abraded the tire
is NOT safe. murphy says it will blow when the 18 wheeler is
right behind you.

it's long past time for a new tire, goofus.

"Dennis P. Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 18:09:25 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, "nash"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Repaired my tire with a dime, rubber patch, duck(t) tape, and now it is
>> popping through again.

> wake up, dude, the tire is past gone. puncture repairs in the
> tread are ok, but once the sidewall is ripped or abraded the tire
> is NOT safe. murphy says it will blow when the 18 wheeler is
> right behind you.
>
> it's long past time for a new tire, goofus.

Excuse me for trying to save money. you all boast about the 10 K miles you
get with your tires so I thought it was sad.
Hell, I got it going for about a 3/4 of year. So maybe you are the goofus
here.
You do not have to be so rude. I said thank-you long before you showed up
DA.
If you are not here to help people asking questions then what are you doing
here.
Good bye forever

nash wrote:

> Excuse me for trying to save money. you all boast about the 10 K miles you
> get with your tires so I thought it was sad.
> Hell, I got it going for about a 3/4 of year. So maybe you are the goofus
> here.
> You do not have to be so rude. I said thank-you long before you showed up
> DA.
> If you are not here to help people asking questions then what are you doing
> here.
> Good bye forever

You got the goodie out of that tire. Time to break down and purchase
some new skins.

You can carry this economizational type thing too far, you know. =]

"catzz66" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> nash wrote:
>>

>> Excuse me for trying to save money. you all boast about the 10 K miles
>> you get with your tires so I thought it was sad.
>> Hell, I got it going for about a 3/4 of year. So maybe you are the
>> goofus here.
>> You do not have to be so rude. I said thank-you long before you showed
>> up DA.
>> If you are not here to help people asking questions then what are you
>> doing here.
>> Good bye forever

> You got the goodie out of that tire. Time to break down and purchase some
> new skins.
>
> You can carry this economizational type thing too far, you know. =]

That is just fine. I put a new one on after the second post and I said
thank-you.
When do people catch on? The first response already said that. I did not
need it 10 more times. the second and third were just jokes and then others
spoiled the whole thing. I am no moron so maybe everyone should just read a
little for god's sake.
This is what drives me to drinkin' Then I might think riding after that is
a good I dea Just hope I have guardian angels.
Life is too short.
Cheers

nash wrote:
> "catzz66" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>nash wrote:
>>

>>>Excuse me for trying to save money. you all boast about the 10 K miles
>>>you get with your tires so I thought it was sad.
>>>Hell, I got it going for about a 3/4 of year. So maybe you are the
>>>goofus here.
>>>You do not have to be so rude. I said thank-you long before you showed
>>>up DA.
>>>If you are not here to help people asking questions then what are you
>>>doing here.
>>>Good bye forever

>>You got the goodie out of that tire. Time to break down and purchase some
>>new skins.
>>
>>You can carry this economizational type thing too far, you know. =]

> That is just fine. I put a new one on after the second post and I said
> thank-you.
> When do people catch on? The first response already said that. I did not
> need it 10 more times. the second and third were just jokes and then others
> spoiled the whole thing. I am no moron so maybe everyone should just read a
> little for god's sake.
> This is what drives me to drinkin' Then I might think riding after that is
> a good I dea Just hope I have guardian angels.
> Life is too short.
> Cheers

I'm sure not one to point fingers. I spend x hundred dollars on a bike
and then worry about the price of a tire or tube or how to save a few
bucks on chain lube. It is just part of being a cyclist, I guess.

"catzz66" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> nash wrote:
>> "catzz66" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>>You got the goodie out of that tire. Time to break down and purchase
>>>some new skins.
>>>
>>>You can carry this economizational type thing too far, you know. =]

>> That is just fine. I put a new one on after the second post and I said
>> thank-you.
>> When do people catch on? The first response already said that. I did
>> not need it 10 more times. the second and third were just jokes and then
>> others spoiled the whole thing. I am no moron so maybe everyone should
>> just read a little for god's sake.
>> This is what drives me to drinkin' Then I might think riding after that
>> is a good I dea Just hope I have guardian angels.
>> Life is too short.
>> Cheers

> I'm sure not one to point fingers. I spend x hundred dollars on a bike
> and then worry about the price of a tire or tube or how to save a few
> bucks on chain lube. It is just part of being a cyclist, I guess.

True, Or human being for that matter. It is a little insane but what is
normal. haha

I truly thought this was some kind of poetry at first, being in the misc
newsgroup an all.
Cheers...