Sweat and upset stomach

Eigenvector

Guest
I run about 5 days a week, when the weather is more humid than normal I
sweat like a horse. I also notice that on those days I get an upset stomach
at just about the end of my run - the runs kind of upset stomach. I've
wondered if the sweat that I inevitably swallow has something to do with
this or whether I'm in denial about a case of heat exhaustion.

If it is heat exhaustion, is the answer to that cutting back my run or
sipping water during it? I just can't see myself drinking water while I
run.

Eigenvector wrote:
> I just can't see myself drinking water while I run.

Why not?

"Charlie Pendejo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Eigenvector wrote:
>> I just can't see myself drinking water while I run.

> Why not?

All that water sloshing around in my stomach.

I know you're not supposed to guzzle it. I mountain climb and I'm aware
that on very long hikes you need to hydrate in small frequent sips as
opposed to chug-a-lugging. But when running I don't carry water with me,
certainly the bulk of the water would slosh around and put me off-balance to
some degree.

But back to the main point, are you essentially saying that this is a case
of heat exhaustion?

But when running I don't carry water with me,
> certainly the bulk of the water would slosh around and put me off-balance to
> some degree.

Indeed, listing to the left ...

Eigenvector wrote:
> "Charlie Pendejo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Eigenvector wrote:
>>
>>>I just can't see myself drinking water while I run.

>>Why not?
>>

> All that water sloshing around in my stomach.

Have you tried it to know that it's sloshing? If it really is, then it
could be an indicator of water not being processed, like sometimes
happens with hyponatremia. Have you tried anything besides water.

> I know you're not supposed to guzzle it. I mountain climb and I'm aware
> that on very long hikes you need to hydrate in small frequent sips as
> opposed to chug-a-lugging. But when running I don't carry water with me,

To quote Charlie, "why not"?

> certainly the bulk of the water would slosh around and put me off-balance to
> some degree.
>
> But back to the main point, are you essentially saying that this is a case
> of heat exhaustion?

Hmmm, is the "end of my run" - 1 hr at LT or above, 10 min sprint
speeds, 5 hr of slogging with a pack, or...? Slow, easy effort; short,
high intensity...? Are you sure it's not something you ate? To me,
swallowing sweat sounds like it could get a stomach upset. IOW, provide
some more details. An upset stomach can result from soooo many things,
including some of the stuff Charlie eats (sorry, Charlie ;) ).

Dot

--
"The goal is training and adaptation, not destruction and injury."
- John Hardy

On May 13, 11:34 pm, "Eigenvector" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Charlie Pendejo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...> Eigenvector wrote:
> >> I just can't see myself drinking water while I run.

> > Why not?

> All that water sloshing around in my stomach.

Unless you drank a gallon of water before you started, the water
should not slosh in your stomach.

> I know you're not supposed to guzzle it. I mountain climb and I'm aware
> that on very long hikes you need to hydrate in small frequent sips as
> opposed to chug-a-lugging. But when running I don't carry water with me,
> certainly the bulk of the water would slosh around and put me off-balance to
> some degree.

Surely you jest?

> But back to the main point, are you essentially saying that this is a case
> of heat exhaustion?

Sounds basic under hydartion, aka dehydration. How long is your run
and what are the temps? Carry some fluid be it water or Gatorbarf or
plan to have this problem for a long time.

-Doug

You're probably correct in thinking it's something you've swallowed.

It's just not sweat....

On 2007-05-14, Eigenvector <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Charlie Pendejo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Eigenvector wrote:
>>> I just can't see myself drinking water while I run.

>> Why not?
>>

> All that water sloshing around in my stomach.

As others pointed out, it doesn't work like this. The water does not stay
in your stomach for long, it gets absorbed fairly quickly.

> I know you're not supposed to guzzle it. I mountain climb and I'm aware
> that on very long hikes you need to hydrate in small frequent sips as
> opposed to chug-a-lugging.

Same on runs. Take moderate quantites frequently so that your stomach is never
unpleasently full of water.

Cheers,
--
Elflord

Donovan wrote:
> Take moderate quantites frequently so that your stomach is never
> unpleasently full of water.

Except, of course, when racing or training specifically for a beer
mile.

"Eigenvector" <[email protected]> wrote

>I run about 5 days a week, when the weather is more humid than normal I
>sweat like a horse. I also notice that on those days I get an upset
>stomach at just about the end of my run - the runs kind of upset stomach.
>I've wondered if the sweat that I inevitably swallow has something to do
>with this or whether I'm in denial about a case of heat exhaustion.

I don't know how many lbs of sweat you are talking about here. Try
weighing yourself before and after your sweaty runs (after removing sweaty
clothes).

If you've lost a couple of lbs, then you may have low-salt queasy stomach.
Sweat contains a fair amount of salt, and if you get a bit low, the first
sign is often a queasy stomach.

The solution is to take some salt (gatorade, etc doesn't have nearly enough)
during your run with water. Because I go on longer runs (over 90 minutes)
often, I usually take a Succeed salt capsule midway through, just on general
principle. I will get queasy after an hour or two if I don't -- note that I
run in LA, where it's a desert-like climate, and don't sweat as much as if I
were, say in North Carolina.

> If it is heat exhaustion, is the answer to that cutting back my run or
> sipping water during it? I just can't see myself drinking water while I
> run.

The nasty part about the low salt queasiness effect is that you are getting
dehydrated, but don't want to drink. It can become a vicious cycle. Get
some S caps, or just have one of those little restaurant salt packets with
some water (starting 15 mins after you start) once or twice and see if that
doesn't make things better.

If you are really hot, then you need to slow down or stop -- there's nothing
else you can do without hurting your health. Skinny people (bmi < 22) have
an edge in the heat because they have more surface area per weight, but
that's a long-term fix. I can run comfortably in 100F heat provided I stay
hydrated and salted, and find the pace at which I don't overheat, but I'm
reasonably thin (bmi in the high 21's).

"Eigenvector" <[email protected]> wrote

> "Charlie Pendejo" <[email protected]> wrote

>>> I just can't see myself drinking water while I run.

>> Why not?
>>

> All that water sloshing around in my stomach.

Sloshing is a symptom of salt depletion. I'm pretty sure the queasiness and
sloshing are caused by low salt. I have the same symptoms when I don't take
salt when I drink on the run.

> I know you're not supposed to guzzle it. I mountain climb and I'm aware
> that on very long hikes you need to hydrate in small frequent sips as
> opposed to chug-a-lugging. But when running I don't carry water with me,
> certainly the bulk of the water would slosh around and put me off-balance
> to some degree.

It's not the water -- it's the lack of salt.

In order to absorb water, your body has to pump salt into the digestive
tract so that it's concentration is roughly equivalent to the body's.

If you're low on salt, the body conserves it, and won't pump it into your
stomach, so the water sits there and is absorbed very slowly (or sometimes
thrown up).

> But back to the main point, are you essentially saying that this is a case
> of heat exhaustion?

I don't think so, unless you're so uncomfortably hot that you need to stop.
Heat exhaustion (I've run many races in temps above 100F) is accompanied by
feelings of being really hot, and your thinking goes to hell. It happened
to the greatest XC runner of our time, Bikele, recently in Kenya -- he
became so disoriented that he didn't know which lap he was on, and was
getting really dizzy. He quit the race and walked off the course.

"Elflord" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2007-05-14, Eigenvector <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> "Charlie Pendejo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> Why not?
>>>

>> All that water sloshing around in my stomach.

> As others pointed out, it doesn't work like this. The water does not stay
> in your stomach for long, it gets absorbed fairly quickly.
>
>> I know you're not supposed to guzzle it. I mountain climb and I'm aware
>> that on very long hikes you need to hydrate in small frequent sips as
>> opposed to chug-a-lugging.

> Same on runs. Take moderate quantites frequently so that your stomach is
> never
> unpleasently full of water.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Elflord

Alright, I'll give it a shot on my next run. It's gonna feel wierd, I only
have on shorts, tank, and shoes when I run so having water on my beltline
will take some getting used to. I guess if it cures the stomach aches it's
worth it and maybe I can squeeze a faster pace out of it.

On 2007-05-15, Eigenvector <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Elflord" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On 2007-05-14, Eigenvector <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>> "Charlie Pendejo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> All that water sloshing around in my stomach.

>> As others pointed out, it doesn't work like this. The water does not stay
>> in your stomach for long, it gets absorbed fairly quickly.
>>
>>> I know you're not supposed to guzzle it. I mountain climb and I'm aware
>>> that on very long hikes you need to hydrate in small frequent sips as
>>> opposed to chug-a-lugging.

>> Same on runs. Take moderate quantites frequently so that your stomach is
>> never
>> unpleasently full of water.

> Alright, I'll give it a shot on my next run. It's gonna feel wierd, I only
> have on shorts, tank, and shoes when I run so having water on my beltline
> will take some getting used to. I guess if it cures the stomach aches it's
> worth it and maybe I can squeeze a faster pace out of it.

No need to try to "squeeze a faster pace", just keep the pace comfortable. In
warm conditions, that probably means slowing down, and slowing down a bit will
help mitigate the problems you've been having. Day to day training runs will
be more productive if you relax and keep at a comfortable pace instead of trying
to push it.

Cheers,
--
Elflord

Miss Anne Thrope wrote:

> You're probably correct in thinking it's something you've swallowed.
>
> It's just not sweat....

Look, everybody! Quick! Check it out! Look! Look what Missy did!
Here he is, crossing the finish line like one of those Special Olympics
kids, and after only THREE lessons, he was able to comprehend the proper
use of the ellipsis!

Good job, Missy! Good job! I'd like to give you a hug as positive
reinforcement -- and maybe give you a lump of sugar -- but I don't want
you to drool on my shirt.

Anyway, whether you can really COMPREHEND what you did is a question for
another day. The main thing is, you've shown some progress.

Alric Knebel
http://www.ironeyefortress.com/C-SPAN_loon.html

On May 13, 6:04 pm, "Eigenvector" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I run about 5 days a week, when the weather is more humid than normal I
> sweat like a horse. I also notice that on those days I get an upset stomach
> at just about the end of my run - the runs kind of upset stomach. I've
> wondered if the sweat that I inevitably swallow has something to do with
> this or whether I'm in denial about a case of heat exhaustion.
>
> If it is heat exhaustion, is the answer to that cutting back my run or
> sipping water during it? I just can't see myself drinking water while I
> run.

I really doubt it is heat exhaustion...if it was you would be down and
out after your run, and you wouldn't be worrying about an upset
stomach.

On May 13, 7:04 pm, "Eigenvector" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've
> wondered if the sweat that I inevitably swallow

How do you swallow sweat? I would imagine the amount you would have to
swallow to cause your stomach to be sour would be more than you
actually sweat out of the upper body (unless you are collecting it
from your lower body and somehow drinking that. And if thats the case
we have a whole different issue).

John

runsrealfast <[email protected]> wrote:

>How do you swallow sweat?

I've seen this said often about another body fluid, usually accompanied by
a joke about how girls get wrinkles at the corners of their eyes.

No, I am not Bill spoofing me.

"D Stumpus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Eigenvector" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>> "Charlie Pendejo" <[email protected]> wrote

>>> Why not?
>>>

>> All that water sloshing around in my stomach.

> Sloshing is a symptom of salt depletion. I'm pretty sure the queasiness
> and sloshing are caused by low salt. I have the same symptoms when I
> don't take salt when I drink on the run.
>
>> I know you're not supposed to guzzle it. I mountain climb and I'm aware
>> that on very long hikes you need to hydrate in small frequent sips as
>> opposed to chug-a-lugging. But when running I don't carry water with me,
>> certainly the bulk of the water would slosh around and put me off-balance
>> to some degree.

> It's not the water -- it's the lack of salt.
>
> In order to absorb water, your body has to pump salt into the digestive
> tract so that it's concentration is roughly equivalent to the body's.
>
> If you're low on salt, the body conserves it, and won't pump it into your
> stomach, so the water sits there and is absorbed very slowly (or sometimes
> thrown up).
>
>> But back to the main point, are you essentially saying that this is a
>> case of heat exhaustion?

> I don't think so, unless you're so uncomfortably hot that you need to
> stop. Heat exhaustion (I've run many races in temps above 100F) is
> accompanied by feelings of being really hot, and your thinking goes to
> hell. It happened to the greatest XC runner of our time, Bikele, recently
> in Kenya -- he became so disoriented that he didn't know which lap he was
> on, and was getting really dizzy. He quit the race and walked off the
> course.

Excellent, thank you for the advice.

As a side, and this may fit what you suggest above - I also happen to take
high blood pressure medication - which includes... a diuretic. Typically a
diuretic will stabilize during the first few weeks you take it as your body
establishes a new equilibrium - but it could definitely place my salt and
mineral reserves at a much lower level and combined with a lower salt intake
could easily put me in that category.

"Eigenvector" <[email protected]> wrote

> Excellent, thank you for the advice.

YVW

> As a side, and this may fit what you suggest above - I also happen to take
> high blood pressure medication - which includes... a diuretic. Typically
> a diuretic will stabilize during the first few weeks you take it as your
> body establishes a new equilibrium - but it could definitely place my salt
> and mineral reserves at a much lower level and combined with a lower salt
> intake could easily put me in that category.

Interesting. Check out the Succeed! Caps website -- it's got several
interesting articles and the owner is a good guy with street (and
scientific) cred.

http://www.succeedscaps.com/articles.html

Eigenvector wrote:

> As a side, and this may fit what you suggest above - I also happen to
> take high blood pressure medication - which includes... a diuretic.
> Typically a diuretic will stabilize during the first few weeks you take
> it as your body establishes a new equilibrium - but it could definitely
> place my salt and mineral reserves at a much lower level and combined
> with a lower salt intake could easily put me in that category.

Has your doctor done a followup on electrolytes in blood since he
started you on this med?

Dot