No more carbon monixide in the meat

Edwin Pawlowski

Guest
This was in Packaging Digest today

Safeway Inc. to stop packaging meat with carbon monoxide gas
Responding to concerns from members of Congress, Safeway Inc. is halting the
sale of meat packaged in carbon monoxide gas, which makes the products
appear fresher. Reps. John D. Dingell and Bart Stupak, both Michigan
Democrats, wrote last month to three large meatpacking companies and to
Safeway, the country's biggest grocery chain, asking them to stop the
practice. Safeway was the first to respond.

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 01:22:01 GMT, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> This was in Packaging Digest today
>
> Safeway Inc. to stop packaging meat with carbon monoxide gas
> Responding to concerns from members of Congress, Safeway Inc. is halting the
> sale of meat packaged in carbon monoxide gas, which makes the products
> appear fresher. Reps. John D. Dingell and Bart Stupak, both Michigan
> Democrats, wrote last month to three large meatpacking companies and to
> Safeway, the country's biggest grocery chain, asking them to stop the
> practice. Safeway was the first to respond.

That was very nice of them. That's the way government should
work. Screw the back-scratching and bickering. Just do it.

-sw

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> This was in Packaging Digest today
>
> Safeway Inc. to stop packaging meat with carbon monoxide gas
> Responding to concerns from members of Congress, Safeway Inc. is halting the
> sale of meat packaged in carbon monoxide gas, which makes the products
> appear fresher. Reps. John D. Dingell and Bart Stupak, both Michigan
> Democrats, wrote last month to three large meatpacking companies and to
> Safeway, the country's biggest grocery chain, asking them to stop the
> practice. Safeway was the first to respond.

Pure pseudo alarm. How much CO can there be in the meat. A tiny amount
diffuses into the very eternal layer of the muscle fibers and
aponeurosis (to give it a more appealing look.) You probably breath in
more CO from car exhaust, than what you get in the meat (providing most
of it has not diffused out already.)

Congress as always is doing what they do best--attending to special
interest groups with the end result being more votes from their
constituents.

Law of the jungle still applies; the hell with the plebeians!

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 21:48:09 -0400, Richard Periut wrote:

> Pure pseudo alarm. How much CO can there be in the meat. A tiny amount
> diffuses into the very eternal layer of the muscle fibers and
> aponeurosis (to give it a more appealing look.) You probably breath in
> more CO from car exhaust, than what you get in the meat (providing most
> of it has not diffused out already.)

You're missing the whole point. Consuming the gas is not the
problem. Treating meat with gas allows stores to pass off less
than fresh meat as fresh meat.

-sw

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 21:48:09 -0400, Richard Periut wrote:
>

>>Pure pseudo alarm. How much CO can there be in the meat. A tiny amount
>>diffuses into the very eternal layer of the muscle fibers and
>>aponeurosis (to give it a more appealing look.) You probably breath in
>>more CO from car exhaust, than what you get in the meat (providing most
>>of it has not diffused out already.)

> You're missing the whole point. Consuming the gas is not the
> problem. Treating meat with gas allows stores to pass off less
> than fresh meat as fresh meat.
>
> -sw

I was under the assumption that there were laws that prohibited meat
that has passed its deadline from being sold.

I thought it was only to enhance good meat, not to make old meat appear
fresher.

Thanks for the correction.

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 23:45:43 -0400, Richard Periut wrote:

> Steve Wertz wrote:
>
>> You're missing the whole point. Consuming the gas is not the
>> problem. Treating meat with gas allows stores to pass off less
>> than fresh meat as fresh meat.

> I was under the assumption that there were laws that prohibited meat
> that has passed its deadline from being sold.

Freshness dating is completely voluntary except on baby foods.
Poultry products must be labeled when they were processed
(usually using an obscure code meaningless to consumers). And
that's pretty much it.

-sw

"Richard Periut" <[email protected]> wrote

> Steve Wertz wrote:

>> You're missing the whole point. Consuming the gas is not the
>> problem. Treating meat with gas allows stores to pass off less
>> than fresh meat as fresh meat.

> I was under the assumption that there were laws that prohibited meat that
> has passed its deadline from being sold.
>
> I thought it was only to enhance good meat, not to make old meat appear
> fresher.

I imagine we've all seen meat for sale that's obviously past its prime.
For this reason I don't appreciate the packaging deliberately making
the meat stay red and fresh looking whether it is or not. I avoid buying
meat in that kind of wrapping if I can, but it's not always practical. I'd
be happy to see that practice go away.

nancy

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Richard Periut" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> Steve Wertz wrote:

>>> You're missing the whole point. Consuming the gas is not the
>>> problem. Treating meat with gas allows stores to pass off less
>>> than fresh meat as fresh meat.

>> I was under the assumption that there were laws that prohibited meat that
>> has passed its deadline from being sold.
>>
>> I thought it was only to enhance good meat, not to make old meat appear
>> fresher.

> I imagine we've all seen meat for sale that's obviously past its prime.
> For this reason I don't appreciate the packaging deliberately making
> the meat stay red and fresh looking whether it is or not. I avoid buying
> meat in that kind of wrapping if I can, but it's not always practical. I'd
> be happy to see that practice go away.
>
> nancy

I also don't care for the Walmart embalmed "fresh" meat that is pumped
up with preservatives and water so it can sit on the shelf for a month.

"George" <[email protected]> wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> I imagine we've all seen meat for sale that's obviously past its prime.
>> For this reason I don't appreciate the packaging deliberately making
>> the meat stay red and fresh looking whether it is or not. I avoid buying
>> meat in that kind of wrapping if I can, but it's not always practical.
>> I'd
>> be happy to see that practice go away.

> I also don't care for the Walmart embalmed "fresh" meat that is pumped up
> with preservatives and water so it can sit on the shelf for a month.

Agreed!! If people want to buy that at Walmart, it's their prerogative,
but I resent it if that starts spreading to my supermarket, which is how it
seems to go when a big buyer like that has companies changing how they
prepare/whatever their product so we're all stuck with it.

nancy

On Jul 19, 7:45 pm, Richard Periut <[email protected]> wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
> > On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 21:48:09 -0400, Richard Periut wrote:

> >>Pure pseudo alarm. How much CO can there be in the meat. A tiny amount
> >>diffuses into the very eternal layer of the muscle fibers and
> >>aponeurosis (to give it a more appealing look.) You probably breath in
> >>more CO from car exhaust, than what you get in the meat (providing most
> >>of it has not diffused out already.)

> > You're missing the whole point. Consuming the gas is not the
> > problem. Treating meat with gas allows stores to pass off less
> > than fresh meat as fresh meat.

> > -sw

> I was under the assumption that there were laws that prohibited meat
> that has passed its deadline from being sold.
>
> I thought it was only to enhance good meat, not to make old meat appear
> fresher.
>
> Thanks for the correction.
>
> R- Hide quoted text -

Richard,

Here's a link to a news article about the subject:

http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_309215609.html

And on the right hand side is a video that compares treated and not
treated meat. The meat demo is about four minutes into the video, and
shows the meat after a week. I've seen other videos that show the
same results after much longer. (This is the first video I came
across.)

Hope this helps.

Ken

Richard Periut wrote:

> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>> This was in Packaging Digest today
>>
>> Safeway Inc. to stop packaging meat with carbon monoxide gas
>> Responding to concerns from members of Congress, Safeway Inc. is
>> halting the sale of meat packaged in carbon monoxide gas, which makes
>> the products appear fresher. Reps. John D. Dingell and Bart Stupak,
>> both Michigan Democrats, wrote last month to three large meatpacking
>> companies and to Safeway, the country's biggest grocery chain, asking
>> them to stop the practice. Safeway was the first to respond.
>>

> Pure pseudo alarm. How much CO can there be in the meat. A tiny amount
> diffuses into the very eternal layer of the muscle fibers and
> aponeurosis (to give it a more appealing look.) You probably breath in
> more CO from car exhaust, than what you get in the meat (providing most
> of it has not diffused out already.)
>
> Congress as always is doing what they do best--attending to special
> interest groups with the end result being more votes from their
> constituents.
>
> Law of the jungle still applies; the hell with the plebeians!

You're completely missing the point. The CO makes spoiled (nearly
spoiled) meat look fresh inside the package, so you can't tell by
looking at it. And it's wrapped up too tight to smell it.

Bob

Nancy Young wrote:

> "George" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > Nancy Young wrote:

> >> I imagine we've all seen meat for sale that's obviously past its prime.
> >> For this reason I don't appreciate the packaging deliberately making
> >> the meat stay red and fresh looking whether it is or not. I avoid buying
> >> meat in that kind of wrapping if I can, but it's not always practical.
> >> I'd
> >> be happy to see that practice go away.

> > I also don't care for the Walmart embalmed "fresh" meat that is pumped up
> > with preservatives and water so it can sit on the shelf for a month.

> Agreed!! If people want to buy that at Walmart, it's their prerogative,
> but I resent it if that starts spreading to my supermarket, which is how it
> seems to go when a big buyer like that has companies changing how they
> prepare/whatever their product so we're all stuck with it.
>
> nancy

I never buy any meat at Walmart (or Sam's) and I avoid shopping at
Walmart in general. On the same track as your complaint against Walmart
**** meats spreading to regular supermarkets which I agree with, I also
resent cases where organic items are all that's available (at higher
cost of course). I always avoid organic items if a conventional
alternative is available and is of comparable quality (and no, I don't
consider organic to be indicative of quality).

Pete C.

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 20:34:42 -0500, Steve Wertz
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 01:22:01 GMT, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> This was in Packaging Digest today
>>
>> Safeway Inc. to stop packaging meat with carbon monoxide gas
>> Responding to concerns from members of Congress, Safeway Inc. is halting the
>> sale of meat packaged in carbon monoxide gas, which makes the products
>> appear fresher. Reps. John D. Dingell and Bart Stupak, both Michigan
>> Democrats, wrote last month to three large meatpacking companies and to
>> Safeway, the country's biggest grocery chain, asking them to stop the
>> practice. Safeway was the first to respond.

>That was very nice of them. That's the way government should
>work. Screw the back-scratching and bickering. Just do it.
>
>-sw

i'm not sure what government did. they asked, and safeway said 'o.k.'
what if they said 'hell, no.'?

your pal,
blake

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 08:55:16 -0400, "Nancy Young" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Agreed!! If people want to buy that at Walmart, it's their prerogative,
>but I resent it if that starts spreading to my supermarket, which is how it
>seems to go when a big buyer like that has companies changing how they
>prepare/whatever their product so we're all stuck with it.

These guys offer alternatives, but they're going to be expensive:
http://www.eatwild.com/products/newjerseyresources.htm
--

modom

On Jul 20, 1:27 pm, "modom (palindrome guy)" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 08:55:16 -0400, "Nancy Young" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Agreed!! If people want to buy that at Walmart, it's their prerogative,
> >but I resent it if that starts spreading to my supermarket, which is how it
> >seems to go when a big buyer like that has companies changing how they
> >prepare/whatever their product so we're all stuck with it.

See? Now this is the sort of thing that turrurism would be good for.
A few well placed bullets might be a great deterrent.

> These guys offer alternatives, but they're going to be expensive:http://www.eatwild.com/products/newjerseyresources.htm

If the alternative to the CEO was potential assassination, that might
do the trick.

> --
>
> modom

--Bryan

On Jul 20, 1:01 pm, blake murphy <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 20:34:42 -0500, Steve Wertz
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 01:22:01 GMT, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> >> This was in Packaging Digest today

> >> Safeway Inc. to stop packaging meat with carbon monoxide gas
> >> Responding to concerns from members of Congress, Safeway Inc. is halting the
> >> sale of meat packaged in carbon monoxide gas, which makes the products
> >> appear fresher. Reps. John D. Dingell and Bart Stupak, both Michigan
> >> Democrats, wrote last month to three large meatpacking companies and to
> >> Safeway, the country's biggest grocery chain, asking them to stop the
> >> practice. Safeway was the first to respond.

> >That was very nice of them. That's the way government should
> >work. Screw the back-scratching and bickering. Just do it.

> >-sw

> i'm not sure what government did. they asked, and safeway said 'o.k.'
> what if they said 'hell, no.'?

That's when the media gets involved and publicizes the issue.

> your pal,
> blake

--Bryan

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 18:01:55 GMT, blake murphy wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 20:34:42 -0500, Steve Wertz
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>That was very nice of them. That's the way government should
>>work. Screw the back-scratching and bickering. Just do it.

> i'm not sure what government did. they asked, and safeway said 'o.k.'
> what if they said 'hell, no.'?

Then there would have been committees formed, studies undertaken,
bills written, deals made, monies pocketed, and nothing would
have become of it except a bunch of wasted time and effort.

-sw