Salmon pics

Steve Pope

Guest
In case anyone is interested I have placed three photos
of a salmon fillet here: http://www.rahul.net/spp/salmon/

The first photo is before cooking, a 2.4 lb piece of fresh
California king salmon sitting in its so-called "BBQ wok" insert.
The second photo shows it on the Weber grill, after about 30
minutes of slow indirect smoke-cooking on the covered grill
(which used charcoal plus some plum wood), a few minutes before
removing it. The third photo is the completely cooked salmon.
It was somewhat medium-rare in the very middle, the rest cooked
through an even medium.

Had I gone 28 minutes total instead of 33, it would have
been rare in the entire middle interior -- still fine.

(And no, no white liquid stuff ever oozed out during cooking.
Possibly due to its freshness, or possibly due to the very
slow cooking method.)

Salmon from Hudson Fish, Berkeley Farmer's Markets.

Steve

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Steve Pope) wrote:

> In case anyone is interested I have placed three photos
> of a salmon fillet here: http://www.rahul.net/spp/salmon/
>
> The first photo is before cooking, a 2.4 lb piece of fresh
> California king salmon sitting in its so-called "BBQ wok" insert.
> The second photo shows it on the Weber grill, after about 30
> minutes of slow indirect smoke-cooking on the covered grill
> (which used charcoal plus some plum wood), a few minutes before
> removing it. The third photo is the completely cooked salmon.
> It was somewhat medium-rare in the very middle, the rest cooked
> through an even medium.
>
> Had I gone 28 minutes total instead of 33, it would have
> been rare in the entire middle interior -- still fine.
>
> (And no, no white liquid stuff ever oozed out during cooking.
> Possibly due to its freshness, or possibly due to the very
> slow cooking method.)
>
> Salmon from Hudson Fish, Berkeley Farmer's Markets.
>
> Steve

Very nice. :)

I really should try smoking some salmon.
Smoked fish is a very special and delicious flavor.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a *****" -- Jack Nicholson

Steve Pope wrote:

> In case anyone is interested I have placed three photos
> of a salmon fillet here: http://www.rahul.net/spp/salmon/
>
> The first photo is before cooking, a 2.4 lb piece of fresh
> California king salmon sitting in its so-called "BBQ wok" insert.
> The second photo shows it on the Weber grill, after about 30
> minutes of slow indirect smoke-cooking on the covered grill
> (which used charcoal plus some plum wood), a few minutes before
> removing it. The third photo is the completely cooked salmon.
> It was somewhat medium-rare in the very middle, the rest cooked
> through an even medium.
>
> Had I gone 28 minutes total instead of 33, it would have
> been rare in the entire middle interior -- still fine.

Nice. That burnishing is the sign of properly hot smoked
salmon IMO, and it takes some skill. Looks really good.

Did you brine and air dry it first? The surface looks
perfect.

> (And no, no white liquid stuff ever oozed out during cooking.
> Possibly due to its freshness, or possibly due to the very
> slow cooking method.)

The latter, I think. I find that too much heat too quickly
will make it ooze. I also find that it's more likely to
ooze if you try and smoke it straight out of the fridge.
I usually let it warm up a little.

--
Reg

Reg <[email protected]> wrote:

>Nice. That burnishing is the sign of properly hot smoked
>salmon IMO, and it takes some skill. Looks really good.

Thanks.

>Did you brine and air dry it first? The surface looks
>perfect.

No, this is a grilled piece of fresh salmon, with a moderate
amount of wood smoke involved. (I have in the past brined/cured
the salmon as well, but salmon prices are just too high to justify
that this season.)

>> (And no, no white liquid stuff ever oozed out during cooking.
>> Possibly due to its freshness, or possibly due to the very
>> slow cooking method.)

>The latter, I think. I find that too much heat too quickly
>will make it ooze. I also find that it's more likely to
>ooze if you try and smoke it straight out of the fridge.
>I usually let it warm up a little.

I typically remove the salmon from the fridge one hour before
it goes on the grill.

Steve

"Steve Pope" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> (And no, no white liquid stuff ever oozed out during cooking.

In all probability that white "Ooze" is called fat and is nothing to be
worried about. Certainly it is not any important indicator as to best
cooking method nor freshness.

,

Gunner <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Steve Pope" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> (And no, no white liquid stuff ever oozed out during cooking.

>In all probability that white "Ooze" is called fat and is nothing to be
>worried about. Certainly it is not any important indicator as to best
>cooking method nor freshness.

From my point of view, any white ooze from salmon is unattractive,
so for me the best method would avoid this. YMMV.

Steve

Gunner wrote:

> "Steve Pope" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>(And no, no white liquid stuff ever oozed out during cooking.

> In all probability that white "Ooze" is called fat and is nothing to be
> worried about. Certainly it is not any important indicator as to best
> cooking method nor freshness.

While that's all true, there are times when I prefer
the texture of a smooth, burnished exterior. It depends
on how I'm serving it.

But more importantly, a lot of people are put off by it.
I once brought a few vac packs to my MIL and she pointed
to the fat and asked "What's that??" with a slightly
bemused look on her face. I explained to her everything
just as you said it. That seemed to calm her down but I'd
have preferred not having to explain it.

With food, perception is often reality.

--
Reg

"Reg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Gunner wrote:
>
>> "Steve Pope" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>(And no, no white liquid stuff ever oozed out during cooking.

>> In all probability that white "Ooze" is called fat and is nothing to be
>> worried about. Certainly it is not any important indicator as to best
>> cooking method nor freshness.

> While that's all true, there are times when I prefer
> the texture of a smooth, burnished exterior. It depends
> on how I'm serving it.
>
> But more importantly, a lot of people are put off by it.
> I once brought a few vac packs to my MIL and she pointed
> to the fat and asked "What's that??" with a slightly
> bemused look on her face. I explained to her everything
> just as you said it. That seemed to calm her down but I'd
> have preferred not having to explain it.
>
> With food, perception is often reality.
>
> --
> Reg

Gentlemen, it is not really difficult to wipe any accumulated white ooze off
the salmon as it cooks and apply your glaze, or let it smoke/cook to get
your beautiful burnished look. it really isn't.

Gunner wrote:

> Gentlemen, it is not really difficult to wipe any accumulated white ooze off
> the salmon as it cooks and apply your glaze, or let it smoke/cook to get
> your beautiful burnished look. it really isn't.

You're missing the point. Salmon that has cooked fast enough to
exude fat will have a different texture than if it's cooked
slower and ends up with a smooth, dry surface.

--
Reg

"Omelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (Steve Pope) wrote:
>
>> In case anyone is interested I have placed three photos
>> of a salmon fillet here: http://www.rahul.net/spp/salmon/
>>
>> The first photo is before cooking, a 2.4 lb piece of fresh
>> California king salmon sitting in its so-called "BBQ wok" insert.
>> The second photo shows it on the Weber grill, after about 30
>> minutes of slow indirect smoke-cooking on the covered grill
>> (which used charcoal plus some plum wood), a few minutes before
>> removing it. The third photo is the completely cooked salmon.
>> It was somewhat medium-rare in the very middle, the rest cooked
>> through an even medium.
>>
>> Had I gone 28 minutes total instead of 33, it would have
>> been rare in the entire middle interior -- still fine.
>>
>> (And no, no white liquid stuff ever oozed out during cooking.
>> Possibly due to its freshness, or possibly due to the very
>> slow cooking method.)
>>
>> Salmon from Hudson Fish, Berkeley Farmer's Markets.
>>
>> Steve

> Very nice. :)
>
> I really should try smoking some salmon.
> Smoked fish is a very special and delicious flavor.
> --
> Peace, Om

The best I ever tasted was home smoked with alder wood. Was better than the
hickory or apple even. Being a smoke newbie sort of, I'm still working on
controlling heat.
Edrena

In article <[email protected]>,
"The Joneses" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Salmon from Hudson Fish, Berkeley Farmer's Markets.
> >>
> >> Steve

> > Very nice. :)
> >
> > I really should try smoking some salmon.
> > Smoked fish is a very special and delicious flavor.
> > --
> > Peace, Om
> >

> The best I ever tasted was home smoked with alder wood. Was better than the
> hickory or apple even. Being a smoke newbie sort of, I'm still working on
> controlling heat.
> Edrena

No access to Alder wood, but I should have no trouble getting pecan.
--

Omelet wrote:

> No access to Alder wood, but I should have no trouble getting pecan.

BBQs Galore in Austin has alder. They carry a nice selection of different
woods.

AUSTIN II (24mi.)
5601 Brodie Ln.
Suite 1200
Austin, TX 78745
512-899-9516
Sunset Valley- On Brodie Lane one block South of 290 in the Sunset
Valley Shopping Center

--
Reg

In article <[email protected]>,
Reg <[email protected]> wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>

> > No access to Alder wood, but I should have no trouble getting pecan.

> BBQs Galore in Austin has alder. They carry a nice selection of different
> woods.
>
> AUSTIN II (24mi.)
> 5601 Brodie Ln.
> Suite 1200
> Austin, TX 78745
> 512-899-9516
> Sunset Valley- On Brodie Lane one block South of 290 in the Sunset
> Valley Shopping Center

Okay. :)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a *****" -- Jack Nicholson

"Reg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Gunner wrote:
>
>> Gentlemen, it is not really difficult to wipe any accumulated white ooze
>> off the salmon as it cooks and apply your glaze, or let it smoke/cook to
>> get your beautiful burnished look. it really isn't.

> You're missing the point. Salmon that has cooked fast enough to
> exude fat will have a different texture than if it's cooked
> slower and ends up with a smooth, dry surface.
>
> --
> Reg

This is not to denigrate Steve's pics or his fish..... As a Photog I
appreciate people's pics and as a cook I appreciate reading his methods, but
your comment "Salmon that has cooked fast enough to
exude fat will have a different texture than if it's cooked slower and ends
up with a smooth, dry surface" definatively means nothing to me. So no, I
really do not think I missed "the point" at all. Am I to understand that
30 minute
indirect slow cooking in a grill wok will not extrude fat in a "California"
King Salmon purchased from Hudson's Berkely Market and will ensure a smooth
dry surface and a different texture? I do not believe that encapulation is
out of context to what you said but I am not going to argue semantics with
you. Just do not assume I missed "the point" as you know it.

Salmon Fat is a good thing, that is why ya eat it but it can percolate to
the surface in the many salmon vatieties by many, many methods to include
slow, slow cooking and even smoking for long times (well in excess of 30
minutes indirect wok cooking). Reg, I am not unfamiliar with salmon. Each
fish, each day and everybody is different.

My point, my friend, was and still is the white ooze is called fat, it can
and
will percolate to the surface of many salmoniods under many and varied
conditions yet it can be
easily wiped, blotted or brushed off for your final plate presentation and
does not
have to affect your texture nor taste one bit.

Gunner wrote:

> This is not to denigrate Steve's pics or his fish..... As a Photog I
> appreciate people's pics and as a cook I appreciate reading his methods, but
> your comment "Salmon that has cooked fast enough to
> exude fat will have a different texture than if it's cooked slower and ends
> up with a smooth, dry surface" definatively means nothing to me. So no, I
> really do not think I missed "the point" at all.

It's a cooking thing, not a photographer thing.

Cooking too fast or at too high heat melts the fat and causes
it to seep out. The same is true for other products like smoked
sausage. If it ends up on the exterior, or sitting at the bottom of
your cooker, it's not in the interior. Less fat and moisture
in the interior results in a different texture and mouthfeel.

That's not to say that one way is better than the other. That's
subjective, and I like it all ways depending on my mood and
what it's being used for. But it definitely changes the result.

--
Reg

"Reg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Gunner wrote:
>
>> This is not to denigrate Steve's pics or his fish..... As a Photog I
>> appreciate people's pics and as a cook I appreciate reading his methods,
>> but
>> your comment "Salmon that has cooked fast enough to
>> exude fat will have a different texture than if it's cooked slower and
>> ends
>> up with a smooth, dry surface" definatively means nothing to me. So no,
>> really do not think I missed "the point" at all.

> It's a cooking thing, not a photographer thing.
>
> Cooking too fast or at too high heat melts the fat and causes
> it to seep out. The same is true for other products like smoked
> sausage. If it ends up on the exterior, or sitting at the bottom of
> your cooker, it's not in the interior. Less fat and moisture
> in the interior results in a different texture and mouthfeel.
>
> That's not to say that one way is better than the other. That's
> subjective, and I like it all ways depending on my mood and
> what it's being used for. But it definitely changes the result.
>
> --
> Reg

So if I cook a sockeye salmon the same way as this "Calfornia" King it will
be the same? No and you know it.

Gunner wrote:

> "Reg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Gunner wrote:

>>>really do not think I missed "the point" at all.

>>It's a cooking thing, not a photographer thing.
>>
>>Cooking too fast or at too high heat melts the fat and causes
>>it to seep out. The same is true for other products like smoked
>>sausage. If it ends up on the exterior, or sitting at the bottom of
>>your cooker, it's not in the interior. Less fat and moisture
>>in the interior results in a different texture and mouthfeel.
>>
>>That's not to say that one way is better than the other. That's
>>subjective, and I like it all ways depending on my mood and
>>what it's being used for. But it definitely changes the result.

> So if I cook a sockeye salmon the same way as this "Calfornia" King it will
> be the same? No and you know it.

Yeah. I think "missed the point" applies once again :)

--
Reg

"Reg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Gunner wrote:
>
>> "Reg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>>It's a cooking thing, not a photographer thing.
>>>
>>>Cooking too fast or at too high heat melts the fat and causes
>>>it to seep out. The same is true for other products like smoked
>>>sausage. If it ends up on the exterior, or sitting at the bottom of
>>>your cooker, it's not in the interior. Less fat and moisture
>>>in the interior results in a different texture and mouthfeel.
>>>
>>>That's not to say that one way is better than the other. That's
>>>subjective, and I like it all ways depending on my mood and
>>>what it's being used for. But it definitely changes the result.

>> So if I cook a sockeye salmon the same way as this "Calfornia" King it
>> will be the same? No and you know it.
>>

> Yeah. I think "missed the point" applies once again :)
>
> --
> Reg

Ya know that was what I was thing exactly!

You do not have a clue as to salmon do ya, Reggie?

Gunner wrote:

> Ya know that was what I was thing exactly!

Uh, yeah. That makes perfect sense.

> You do not have a clue as to salmon do ya, Reggie?

Hint: It has nothing to do with what kind of salmon you're
cooking. It applies to just about anything with a high
fat content.

But thanks for playing.

--
Reg

"Reg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Gunner wrote:
>

>> Ya know that was what I was thing exactly!
>>

> Uh, yeah. That makes perfect sense.
>
>> You do not have a clue as to salmon do ya, Reggie?

> Hint: It has nothing to do with what kind of salmon you're
> cooking. It applies to just about anything with a high
> fat content.
>
> But thanks for playing.
>
> --
> Reg

Thats what I thought, you don't cook a lot of salmon do ya, Reggie. What
part of the PNW aren't ya from?