Upgrade your Planet Bike fender flaps

On Dec 25, 4:04 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm assuming it's just a matter of drilling out the old pop rivets and
> putting on the new flaps. 130mm for $5.
>
> http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7026_1.html

Too bad PB is too miserly to include those instead of the useless
flaps that come with the Hardcore fenders.

Bah! If I feel the need, I'll make my own.

On Dec 25, 5:04 pm, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 25, 4:04 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I'm assuming it's just a matter of drilling out the old pop rivets and
> > putting on the new flaps. 130mm for $5.

> >http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7026_1.html

> Too bad PB is too miserly to include those instead of the useless
> flaps that come with the Hardcore fenders.
>
> Bah! If I feel the need, I'll make my own.

It's $5 with shipping for a product that looks nice and neat. I'll
probably send for some. I've used thick leather and liquid nails on
some aluminum models before--so I've earned my stripes. The Hardcore
flaps do work in drizzles at city speeds, but above 12mph, mine give
off a little spray. Good for those that pull the front wheel when
locking as they allow the front fork ends to contact the ground. It
looks to me to not be a poor design, but a compromise, is all. Kudos
to them to offer an upgrade at a fair price.

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 15:18:24 -0800, landotter wrote:

> On Dec 25, 5:04 pm, Ozark Bicycle
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Dec 25, 4:04 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > I'm assuming it's just a matter of drilling out the old pop rivets
>> > and putting on the new flaps. 130mm for $5.

>> >http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7026_1.html

>> Too bad PB is too miserly to include those instead of the useless flaps
>> that come with the Hardcore fenders.
>>
>> Bah! If I feel the need, I'll make my own.

> It's $5 with shipping for a product that looks nice and neat.

Planet Bike has free shipping on spare parts "to encourage you to rebuild
your stuff rather than toss it in the rubbish bin...."

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/smallparts.html

On Dec 25, 5:18 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 25, 5:04 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Dec 25, 4:04 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I'm assuming it's just a matter of drilling out the old pop rivets and
> > > putting on the new flaps. 130mm for $5.

> > >http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7026_1.html

> > Too bad PB is too miserly to include those instead of the useless
> > flaps that come with the Hardcore fenders.

> > Bah! If I feel the need, I'll make my own.

> It's $5 with shipping for a product that looks nice and neat. I'll
> probably send for some. I've used thick leather and liquid nails on
> some aluminum models before--so I've earned my stripes. The Hardcore
> flaps do work in drizzles at city speeds, but above 12mph, mine give
> off a little spray.

I've an old (ca.1991) pair of Zefals on another bike. No vestigial
flaps were included, but they come down further, front and rear, than
do the PB Hardcores and are more effective. ISTM that the flaps that
come with the Hardcore fenders are mostly cosmetic (and a place to put
the PB logo). Overall, I like the Hardcores just fine, I just wish
they were a bit longer and either skipped the flaps or provided ones
that were useful.

> Good for those that pull the front wheel when
> locking as they allow the front fork ends to contact the ground.

The front fender itself could be longer w/o a flap, as on the old
Zefals. That's a more effective design, and a flap can be added as
needed.

> It
> looks to me to not be a poor design, but a compromise, is all. Kudos
> to them to offer an upgrade at a fair price.

Agreed, the price is fair.

On Dec 25, 8:10 pm, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 25, 5:18 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 25, 5:04 pm, Ozark Bicycle

> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Too bad PB is too miserly to include those instead of the useless
> > > flaps that come with the Hardcore fenders.

> > > Bah! If I feel the need, I'll make my own.

> > It's $5 with shipping for a product that looks nice and neat. I'll
> > probably send for some. I've used thick leather and liquid nails on
> > some aluminum models before--so I've earned my stripes. The Hardcore
> > flaps do work in drizzles at city speeds, but above 12mph, mine give
> > off a little spray.

> I've an old (ca.1991) pair of Zefals on another bike. No vestigial
> flaps were included, but they come down further, front and rear, than
> do the PB Hardcores and are more effective.

I used a pair of the skinny 35mm Zefals for a couple years, and I
don't know if I'd agree. Smart looking in silver, and you're correct
about the longer length, but still gave me as much or more toe spray
as a stock Planet Bike with the mildly useful flap--it's by no means
ineffective. The inability to stand the bike on the front forks with
the front wheel was a mild inconvenience. I did add a flap of milk jug
material with Liquid nails, and the setup was pretty sweet in the wet!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/42/85780927_1ad0662409_o.jpg

On Dec 25, 8:25 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 25, 8:10 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Dec 25, 5:18 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > It's $5 with shipping for a product that looks nice and neat. I'll
> > > probably send for some. I've used thick leather and liquid nails on
> > > some aluminum models before--so I've earned my stripes. The Hardcore
> > > flaps do work in drizzles at city speeds, but above 12mph, mine give
> > > off a little spray.

> > I've an old (ca.1991) pair of Zefals on another bike. No vestigial
> > flaps were included, but they come down further, front and rear, than
> > do the PB Hardcores and are more effective.

> I used a pair of the skinny 35mm Zefals for a couple years, and I
> don't know if I'd agree. Smart looking in silver, and you're correct
> about the longer length, but still gave me as much or more toe spray
> as a stock Planet Bike with the mildly useful flap--it's by no means
> ineffective.

Hmmm.....I had the (plain ol' black) Zefals on the same bike that now
has the Hardcores. The longer front fender was a bit more effective as
supplied (sans flap) and it never had it hit the ground when I pulled
the front wheel.

> The inability to stand the bike on the front forks with
> the front wheel was a mild inconvenience. I did add a flap of milk jug
> material with Liquid nails, and the setup was pretty sweet in the wet!
>
> http://farm1.static.flickr.com/42/85780927_1ad0662409_o.jpg

Yep, I moved the now old and ratty Zefals to my errand bike and added
a DIY flap similar to the one pictured, but I drilled the fenders and
used cable ties to secure them. Very effective, but it does hit the
ground, of course.

BTW, what was the origin of that frame?

On Dec 25, 8:57 pm, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 25, 8:25 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 25, 8:10 pm, Ozark Bicycle

> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I've an old (ca.1991) pair of Zefals on another bike. No vestigial
> > > flaps were included, but they come down further, front and rear, than
> > > do the PB Hardcores and are more effective.

> > I used a pair of the skinny 35mm Zefals for a couple years, and I
> > don't know if I'd agree. Smart looking in silver, and you're correct
> > about the longer length, but still gave me as much or more toe spray
> > as a stock Planet Bike with the mildly useful flap--it's by no means
> > ineffective.

> Hmmm.....I had the (plain ol' black) Zefals on the same bike that now
> has the Hardcores. The longer front fender was a bit more effective as
> supplied (sans flap) and it never had it hit the ground when I pulled
> the front wheel.
>
> > The inability to stand the bike on the front forks with
> > the front wheel was a mild inconvenience. I did add a flap of milk jug
> > material with Liquid nails, and the setup was pretty sweet in the wet!

> >http://farm1.static.flickr.com/42/85780927_1ad0662409_o.jpg

> Yep, I moved the now old and ratty Zefals to my errand bike and added
> a DIY flap similar to the one pictured, but I drilled the fenders and
> used cable ties to secure them. Very effective, but it does hit the
> ground, of course.
>
> BTW, what was the origin of that frame?

It's a rattle canned Viscount Aerospace I got at a thrift store. Great
riding bike, but terribly twitchy with the pictured fork. Not enough
trail for my tastes, though I rode the thing many a thousand miles.
Sold it for $250 this summer with the Mavic rims rebuilt on some nicer
hubs. Buyer didn't notice that I laced one side of the rear 4x to
avoid having to purchase fresh spokes. ;-) It was well built and
destressed, so no guilt felt on my part. It was hard to part with, as
it was so dang classy looking, but in the end the reality was that it
was simply gathering dust.