Which cancer is this? What's the prognosis?

Elsie

Guest
My Dad was diagnosed with some kind of cancer of the cheek. I think it's the outside of the cheek,
not inside the mouth. They sent me the diagnosis, but it's in German and I'm not sure that I can
make sense of it.

Here is the actual diagosis: Asymmetrischer, mit der Epidermis verbundener epthelialer Tumor, der
aus endophytischen Proliferationen spinozellulaerer Zellverbaende besteht. Dyskeratosen, Pyknosen
und atypische Mitosen. Basal deutliche zellulaere Pleomorphie. Senile Elastose. Dichtes
lymphohistozytaeres Infiltrat.

Diagnose: Spinozellulaeres Karzinom, Probebiopsie

From what I can figure it's a spino-cellular carcinom? Does that sound right? If that's what it is,
where do I find info about it and what's the prognosis?

Elsie

"Elsie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My Dad was diagnosed with some kind of cancer of the cheek. I think it's the outside of the cheek,
> not inside the mouth. They sent me the diagnosis, but it's in German and I'm not sure that I can
> make sense of it.
>
> Here is the actual diagosis: Asymmetrischer, mit der Epidermis verbundener epthelialer Tumor, der
> aus endophytischen Proliferationen spinozellulaerer Zellverbaende besteht. Dyskeratosen, Pyknosen
> und atypische Mitosen. Basal deutliche zellulaere Pleomorphie. Senile Elastose. Dichtes
> lymphohistozytaeres Infiltrat.
>
> Diagnose: Spinozellulaeres Karzinom, Probebiopsie
>
> From what I can figure it's a spino-cellular carcinom? Does that sound right? If that's what it
> is, where do I find info about it and what's the prognosis?
>
> Elsie

sPINDLE CELL CANCER, A VARIANT OF SQUAMOUS CANCER pROGNOSIS IS EXCELLENT IF IT IS EARLY, AND
TREATMENT IS SURGERY OR RADIOTHERAPY

Elsie <[email protected]> wrote:

> My Dad was diagnosed with some kind of cancer of the cheek. I think it's the outside of the cheek,
> not inside the mouth. They sent me the diagnosis, but it's in German and I'm not sure that I can
> make sense of it.
>
> Here is the actual diagosis: Asymmetrischer, mit der Epidermis verbundener epthelialer Tumor, der
> aus endophytischen Proliferationen spinozellulaerer Zellverbaende besteht. Dyskeratosen, Pyknosen
> und atypische Mitosen. Basal deutliche zellulaere Pleomorphie. Senile Elastose. Dichtes
> lymphohistozytaeres Infiltrat.
>
> Diagnose: Spinozellulaeres Karzinom, Probebiopsie
>
> From what I can figure it's a spino-cellular carcinom? Does that sound right? If that's what it
> is, where do I find info about it and what's the prognosis?
Normal skin cancer, prognosis usually very good. It was just a biopsy, so he still needs an
operation.

--
madiba

is that a kind of skin cancer? My grampa has skin cancer that has to be laser treated every few
months but once the doctor described one kind of cancer cell as being almost spiral.... he described
it to my grandma as almost like a drill and it can be highly disfiguring if left untreated. tell me
if that's wrong. I can't right off remember what exactly he called it though.

--
"Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it. You remain responsible, forever, for
what you have tamed." ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery "Steph" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "Elsie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > My Dad was diagnosed with some kind of cancer of the cheek. I think it's the outside of the
> > cheek, not inside the mouth. They sent me the diagnosis, but it's in German and I'm not sure
> > that I can make sense of it.
> >
> > Here is the actual diagosis: Asymmetrischer, mit der Epidermis verbundener epthelialer Tumor,
> > der aus endophytischen Proliferationen spinozellulaerer Zellverbaende besteht. Dyskeratosen,
> > Pyknosen und atypische Mitosen. Basal deutliche zellulaere Pleomorphie. Senile Elastose. Dichtes
> > lymphohistozytaeres Infiltrat.
> >
> > Diagnose: Spinozellulaeres Karzinom, Probebiopsie
> >
> > From what I can figure it's a spino-cellular carcinom? Does that sound right? If that's what it
> > is, where do I find info about it and what's the prognosis?
> >
> > Elsie
>
> sPINDLE CELL CANCER, A VARIANT OF SQUAMOUS CANCER pROGNOSIS IS EXCELLENT IF IT IS EARLY, AND
> TREATMENT IS SURGERY OR RADIOTHERAPY

"Steph" <[email protected]> wrote:

>sPINDLE CELL CANCER, A VARIANT OF SQUAMOUS CANCER pROGNOSIS IS EXCELLENT IF IT IS EARLY, AND
>TREATMENT IS SURGERY OR RADIOTHERAPY

Prognosis and treatment planning depends on staging. Treatment should be done by a multidisciplinar
experienced team. Chemo may have a role.

_PT_ <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Steph" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >sPINDLE CELL CANCER, A VARIANT OF SQUAMOUS CANCER pROGNOSIS IS EXCELLENT IF IT IS EARLY, AND
> >TREATMENT IS SURGERY OR RADIOTHERAPY
touch-typing at its finest... :-/

> Prognosis and treatment planning depends on staging. Treatment should be done by a
> multidisciplinar experienced team. Chemo may have a role.
Chemo plays no role in skin cancer treatment as its usually caught early.
--
madiba

"_PT_" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Steph" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >sPINDLE CELL CANCER, A VARIANT OF SQUAMOUS CANCER pROGNOSIS IS EXCELLENT IF IT IS EARLY, AND
> >TREATMENT IS SURGERY OR RADIOTHERAPY
> >

> Prognosis and treatment planning depends on staging. Treatment should be done by a
> multidisciplinar experienced team. Chemo may have a role.

But I doubt it

"madiba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1g7j1or.18st6k41yu0k85N%[email protected]...
> _PT_ <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Steph" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> > >sPINDLE CELL CANCER, A VARIANT OF SQUAMOUS CANCER pROGNOSIS IS EXCELLENT IF IT IS EARLY, AND
> > >TREATMENT IS SURGERY OR RADIOTHERAPY
> touch-typing at its finest... :-/
> >
> > Prognosis and treatment planning depends on staging. Treatment should be done by a
> > multidisciplinar experienced team. Chemo may have a role.
> Chemo plays no role in skin cancer treatment as its usually caught early.
> --
> madiba

He's not interested in the facts. Management of cancer is done by a multidisciplinary team (with him
as captain), and is not based on facts, but is an art form (with him as p*** artist)

"Steph" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"_PT_" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> "Steph" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>> >sPINDLE CELL CANCER, A VARIANT OF SQUAMOUS CANCER pROGNOSIS IS EXCELLENT IF IT IS EARLY, AND
>> >TREATMENT IS SURGERY OR RADIOTHERAPY
>> >

>> Prognosis and treatment planning depends on staging. Treatment should be done by a
>> multidisciplinar experienced team. Chemo may have a role.
>
>But I doubt it

But you shouldn't. I've had many excelent results. Of course patients are only refered to me when
everybody else (surgeons and radiotherapists) give up. These are a minority of patients. The
majority is cured by surgery and radio. But in these few we notice a lack of a "captain" from the
begining...

"_PT_" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Steph" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Prognosis and treatment planning depends on staging. Treatment should be done by a
> >> multidisciplinar experienced team. Chemo may have a role.
> >
> >But I doubt it
> >

> But you shouldn't. I've had many excelent results. Of course patients are only refered to me when
> everybody else (surgeons and radiotherapists) give up. These are a minority of patients. The
> majority is cured by surgery and radio. But in these few we notice a lack of a "captain" from the
> begining...

And how many squamous cancers of the skin have you cured with chemotherapy? How many exactly?

"Steph" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"_PT_" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

>> >But I doubt it
>> >

>> But you shouldn't. I've had many excelent results. Of course patients are only refered to me when
>> everybody else (surgeons and radiotherapists) give up. These are a minority of patients. The
>> majority is cured by surgery and radio. But in these few we notice a lack of a "captain" from the
>> begining...
>
>And how many squamous cancers of the skin have you cured with chemotherapy? How many exactly?

Not with chemo alone of course. But chemo may render surgery possible in otherwise unoperable
tumours. Also can turn metastatic disease to a point in the reach of a thoracic surgeon. I can't
give you an exact figure, but about a dozen cases in the last 15 years isn't far from true.

"_PT_" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Steph" <[email protected]> wrote:

Chemo

> >> But you shouldn't. I've had many excelent results. Of course patients are only refered to me
> >> when everybody else (surgeons and radiotherapists) give up. These are a minority of patients.
> >> The majority is cured by surgery and radio. But in these few we notice a lack of a "captain"
> >> from the begining...
> >
> >And how many squamous cancers of the skin have you cured with
chemotherapy?
> >How many exactly?
> >

> Not with chemo alone of course. But chemo may render surgery possible in otherwise unoperable
> tumours. Also can turn metastatic disease to a point in the reach of a thoracic surgeon. I can't
> give you an exact figure, but about a dozen cases in the last 15 years isn't far from true.

You could have made the answer shorter by saying "none". Personally, I cure about 40 squamous or
basal cell cancers of the skin per year using nothing more than simple radiotherapy.

"Steph" <[email protected]> wrote:

>You could have made the answer shorter by saying "none". Personally, I cure about 40 squamous or
>basal cell cancers of the skin per year using nothing more than simple radiotherapy.

It could even be shorter if you didn't jump on every post I make!

What don't you understand on the sentence "MAY have a role"? or in "a MINORITY of patients"?

I'd like to see you cure a patient I saw last week with only a 4cm tumor. Six months before he was
refered as a terminal case with a tumor begining in the lumbar region and descending till the
inguinal going all arround the abdomen, with four previous surgeries and already largely irradiated.
Besides excruciating pain, he couldn't even lie down due to the volume! All lung mets are no longer
visible in the CT scan.

I know cases like this are under 5% of the total, but if you prefer to round up to 0% for simplicity
it's your math...

"_PT_" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Steph" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >You could have made the answer shorter by saying "none". Personally, I cure about 40 squamous or
> >basal cell cancers of the skin
per
> >year using nothing more than simple radiotherapy.
>

> It could even be shorter if you didn't jump on every post I make!
>
> What don't you understand on the sentence "MAY have a role"? or in "a MINORITY of patients"?

What don't you understand about "How many skin cancers have you cured with chemotherapy"?

> I'd like to see you cure a patient I saw last week with only a 4cm tumor. Six months before he was
> refered as a terminal case with a tumor begining in the lumbar region and descending till the
> inguinal going all arround the abdomen, with four previous surgeries and already largely
> irradiated. Besides excruciating pain, he couldn't even lie down due to the volume! All lung mets
> are no longer visible in the CT scan.
>
> I know cases like this are under 5% of the total, but if you prefer to round up to 0% for
> simplicity it's your math...

Sounds like good palliation for now. But you think it's a cure?

"_PT_" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Steph" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >You could have made the answer shorter by saying "none". Personally, I cure about 40 squamous or
> >basal cell cancers of the skin
per
> >year using nothing more than simple radiotherapy.
>

> It could even be shorter if you didn't jump on every post I make!

I only jump on the stupid ones. That's most of them, unfortunately

"Steph" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Sounds like good palliation for now. But you think it's a cure?

I didn't say anything about cure!

I said chemo MAY have a role in a multidisciplinary team.

"_PT_" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> "Steph" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >Sounds like good palliation for now. But you think it's a cure?
> >

> I didn't say anything about cure!
>
> I said chemo MAY have a role in a multidisciplinary team.

It may. Directed by the appropriate authority - a radiation oncologist