Important trek question

James Carr

Guest
Am I losing my mind? A year ago I saw a trek that was white with lime green letters that said
"antelope 800" on upper horizontal bar between the gooseneck and the seatpost. Am I mistaken? Is
there a such thing as an antelope 800? Does anyone know where I can find the history of the
"antelope" trek model? Please help im going crazy over this.. Thank you for your time.

You were probably seeing a Trek that was painted under Trek's Project One program, whereby Trek purchasers can get a custom paint job from the factory for a few hundred dollars. That's my guess.

There WAS a model of mountain bike in the early 1990s that carried the moniker Antelope. It was the 800, Trek's most basic mountain bike (single-wall rims, least expensive "shop grade" components, heavy steel frame, etc.). Not exactly a collectible, unless one considers the Schwinn Varsity collectible (I don't).

bikeolounger

Good point. I thought Mr. Carr was talking about a road bike. My roadi bias is now exposed for all to see.

I think there was actually a period when trek called all of its 800 series bikes "antelope," including 820 840 etc. probably so the less arythmetically gifted could identify them from others such as the more exotic (and nameless) aluminium 8000 bikes. a bit like cheap volkswagens seem to be called "biarritz" and "fun" etc.

as for the colour scheme, that has to be a matter of rather bad taste, and one to be avoided.

> Am I losing my mind? A year ago I saw a trek that was white with lime green letters that said
> "antelope 800" on upper horizontal bar between the gooseneck and the seatpost. Am I mistaken? Is
> there a such thing as an antelope 800? Does anyone know where I can find the history of the
> "antelope" trek model? Please help im going crazy over this.. Thank you for your time.

Already answered in rec.bicycles.tech. In general, if a post needs to be in multiple newsgroups,
it's best to post to both at the same time. The "Newsgroups" heading in your email would read, in
this case-

rec.bicycles.misc;rec.bicycles.tech

That way the replies will be posted simultaneously to both newsgroups. The advantage in doing so is
that the answer will appear in both at the same time, which should generally shorten the duration of
the thread (unless it's about helmets).

"Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Am I losing my mind? A year ago I saw a trek that was white with lime green letters that said
> > "antelope 800" on upper horizontal bar between the gooseneck and the seatpost. Am I mistaken? Is
> > there a such thing as an antelope 800? Does anyone know where I can find the history of the
> > "antelope" trek model? Please help im going crazy over this.. Thank you for your time.
>
> Already answered in rec.bicycles.tech. In general, if a post needs to be in multiple newsgroups,
> it's best to post to both at the same time. The "Newsgroups" heading in your email would read, in
> this case-
>
> rec.bicycles.misc;rec.bicycles.tech
>
> That way the replies will be posted simultaneously to both newsgroups. The advantage in doing so
> is that the answer will appear in both at the same time, which should generally shorten the
> duration of the thread (unless it's about helmets).

Good point. Im new to google and it didnt dawn on me to do that. Next time I will. And thank you for
your time everyone I appreciate it..