RR: Dakota Ridge

Mark Bockmann

Guest
On solo rides, do you often find yourself heading back to
the same trail again and again? I do. Some rides are just
better off done alone.

For me, Dakota Ridge is that trail.

For one thing, it's one of the local trails I would have to
twist my wife's arm to do. It's a bit more technical than
most of our Front Range rides, and even Molly would admit
that she and "technical" don't always get along.

Then there are my riding buddies. Some of them like to stop
and try the hard parts over and over, and some of them
don't. When I ride with the first group, they're too good. I
get stuck on a section and want to try it ten times, while
they're already gone. The second group isn't really
interested in waiting around for me, either.

For rides like this, solo is where it's at. I can get into
the flow of the trail, really feel the rocks and see the
lines, and not worry about what anyone else is doing. I
can stay at one spot for half an hour if I feel like it,
until I finally clean that one section that's been my
nemesis for years.

Today I pulled into the parking lot in the bright noon sun.
My bike was gleaming after a ton of fresh spring
maintenance: new rear shock bushing and internals, new
bottom bracket, overhauled CK hubs, new chain, and of course
-- new cables & housing for that crisp shifting action.
(Yes, my bike has gears. Deal with it, people.)

I was on the trail a minute after arriving. I was back a
minute later to strip off some extra clothes. It was
that nice out.

The initial 300' grind up to the ridge felt short and sweet,
as usual. The trail opened up with some fast buff hardpack.
Spinning on the narrow ridge, I caught glimpses of Denver to
my left and the Front Range to my right, stretching all the
way down to Pikes Peak if I wanted to look for it.

The trail pointed downhill and got rockier. I relaxed and
tried to flow. I was still feeling a bit tight. Grabbing too
much brake. Staring at the trail right in front of me
instead of further down.

I made it to the saddle and downshifted for the first
steep climb, a series of about 8 log ramps in a row. My
tires slipped on one of the ramps, its logs wet and muddy
from snowmelt. The first of many "do-overs." That section
was just a warmup for the one to come, a rocky transition
into yet another series of log ramps, but these were
steeper, taller, and more closely spaced. I cleared the
transition and the first two ramps before spinning out. A
couple of false starts and then I cleared the rest of that
section more smoothly than ever before. I was starting to
feel it now.

The rest of the trail flew by under my wheels. Rocks,
switchbacks, rocks, drops, ramps, and more rocks. By the
time I reached the end I had cleaned everything. Only the
second time I'd ever done that. Very cool.

Morrison Slide was next on the agenda, but not before I
checked out a new trail I'd recently seen on the map. I
pedaled up the hill to Red Rocks and found that the new
trail was closed to bikes. Too bad. It was a good
opportunity to explore the area, anyway. Such amazing
sandstone rock formations -- it looked like Sedona or
something. I discovered that I could pedal all the way into
the Red Rocks amphitheater. I sat in the middle of the stage
and had lunch where Blues Traveler, Neil Young, and Beck
played last year. A high school track team ran the stairs
underneath 300' Creation Rock, turning in slower and slower
lap times as their coach mercilessly flogged them on.

Back on the bike, I turned north and headed for Morrison
Slide and more technical climbing. There were several
sections I'd never once cleaned, but today the I got the
hardest one on my second try. Was it easier now, or had I
gotten better? I really wish I knew...

A switchback stopped me cold halfway up. It didn't look too
hard -- moderately steep, a little rocky, and a boulder
leaning in from the right, but definitely doable. I tried it
again and got to the exit move before stupidly running right
into a rock with my front wheel. By my 15th try another
rider arrived. He also failed his first try, but just
barely, and I said, "You've got it, man!" We both kept at it
until first he, and then I, cleaned the whole section.

"Feels easy once you do it, huh?"

Together we made it to the top of the mesa, then rode the
icy switchbacks off the north end down to the final
section of the Red Rocks trail. I pulled off at the play
spot, a rounded slickrock boulder on the left. There was a
couple there with full pads and 40-lb bikes. He was
pushing his bike to the top of the rock, then catching
some air off the jump at the bottom. She was sitting in
the grass below, watching.

I pedaled to the top and joined the guy there, and we ran
the jump four or five times. Both of us are at the stage
where we're just trying to feel comfortable in the air. I'm
trying to get there G R A D U A L L Y, not wanting to break
too many bones in the acquisition of this skill. Actually,
that's my strategy for just about all the sports I do these
days. It has to be a sign of getting older. I'm smart enough
now to know that a stupid mistake can keep me from the
things I love to do for a long time. But I still like to
push the envelope. It's just that it's my own small
envelope, and I'm cool with that.

The last mile of dirt beckoned, so I said goodbye to the
armored hucksters and wished them a good one. And that's
just what it was today...a good one.

Mark Bockmann wrote:

> [...]
> pushing his bike to the top of the rock, then catching
> some air off the jump at the bottom. She was sitting in
> the grass below, watching.
>
> I pedaled to the top and joined the guy there, and we ran
> the jump four or five times. Both of us are at the stage
> where we're just trying to feel comfortable in the air.
> I'm trying to get there G R A D U A L L Y, not wanting to
> break too many bones in the acquisition of this skill.
> Actually, that's my strategy for just about all the sports
> I do these days. It has to be a sign of getting older. I'm
> smart enough now to know that a stupid mistake can keep me
> from the things I love to do for a long time. But I still
> like to push the envelope. It's just that it's my own
> small envelope, and I'm cool with that.
>
> The last mile of dirt beckoned, so I said goodbye to the
> armored hucksters and wished them a good one. And that's

I used to ride there a lot. You painted a good picture
of the ride.

Cheers, Shawn

Mark Bockmann wrote:

> On solo rides, do you often find yourself heading back to
> the same trail again and again? I do. Some rides are just
> better off done alone.
>
> For me, Dakota Ridge is that trail.

Nice, the Ridge was not a favorite of my wife's either,
pretty technical, lots of chances to get another scar.

Nice RR Mark, it is always good to ride during the week, w/o
the crowds.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)

Thanks, your post brought up sweet memories.

http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/Colorado/Dakotaridge0.jpg
http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/Colorado/Dakotaridge1.JPG
http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/Colorado/Dakotaridge2.jpg

More on
http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/Colorado/MTB_around_Golden.html

We only rode it once. The Dakota Ridge is certainly one of
those trails that just become more fun the more you ride it,
a trail one learns to clear, there are some difficult spots,
we would have loved to do it again but could not as we were
leaving Denver.

Per http://lowdin.nu

"Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks, your post brought up sweet memories.
>
> http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/Colorado/Dakotaridge0.jpg
> http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/Colorado/Dakotaridge1.JPG
> http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/Colorado/Dakotaridge2.jpg
>
> More on
> http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/Colorado/MTB_around_Golden.html
>
> We only rode it once. The Dakota Ridge is certainly one of
> those trails
that
> just become more fun the more you ride it, a trail one
> learns to clear, there are some difficult spots, we would
> have loved to do it again but
could
> not as we were leaving Denver.

Looks pretty smooth and fast to me, why would you need to
learn to clear it?

Greg

> Looks pretty smooth and fast to me, why would you need to
> learn to clear
it?

Is not that pretty obvious from Mark´s post: but in case it
is not, I´ll spell it out, it is a pretty challenging trail,
some bits are rather difficult and take some learning to
handle neatly.

Per http://lowdin.nu

Per Löwdin wrote:

> More on
> http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/Colorado/MTB_around_Golden.html
>
> We only rode it once. The Dakota Ridge is certainly one of
> those trails that just become more fun the more you ride
> it, a trail one learns to clear, there are some difficult
> spots, we would have loved to do it again but could not as
> we were leaving Denver.
>
> Per http://lowdin.nu

OMG, The sanitation crews destroyed Belcher trail! That used
to be a tough climb. Looks like they paved Apex with patio
stones. Sad. The side trails look more like I remember.

Shawn

Shawn Curry wrote:

> OMG, The sanitation crews destroyed Belcher trail! That
> used to be a tough climb. Looks like they paved Apex with
> patio stones. Sad. The side trails look more like I
> remember.
>
> Shawn

I think Belcher was sanitized 4 or 5 year ago, you are
correct, it used to be a much tougher climb!

I still like Apex, but you have to go when everyone else on
the FR is not out, which is rarely.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)

> OMG, The sanitation crews destroyed Belcher trail! That
> used to be a tough climb.

We did not know, so we did not suffer from it. A thing we
would have been critical about if we´d lived in the area it
would be that they close the place at 6 pm so you can´t ride
after work. In Sweden we ride a lot in the dark http://www.-
lowdin.nu/Mtbruntuppsala/bilder/nastentravers3.jpg

> Looks like they paved Apex with patio stones. Sad.

It is still fun.

Per http://lowdin.nu

Per Löwdin wrote:

>>OMG, The sanitation crews destroyed Belcher trail! That
>>used to be a tough climb.
>

> We did not know, so we did not suffer from it. A thing we
> would have been critical about if we´d lived in the area
> it would be that they close the place at 6 pm so you can´t
> ride after work. In Sweden we ride a lot in the dark http-
> ://www.lowdin.nu/Mtbruntuppsala/bilder/nastentravers3.jpg
>

>>Looks like they paved Apex with patio stones. Sad.
>

> It is still fun.

Sure, and I understand why it was done, but a lot of the
charm (read: technical difficulty) was removed. Do you still
have to swerve around the boulders in the sand at the Hwy 93
entrance to White Ranch? Always liked that part. :)

Shawn

Craig Brossman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Shawn Curry wrote:
>
> > OMG, The sanitation crews destroyed Belcher trail! That
> > used to be a tough climb. Looks like they paved Apex
> > with patio stones. Sad. The side trails look more like I
> > remember.
> >
> > Shawn
>
> I think Belcher was sanitized 4 or 5 year ago, you are
> correct, it used to be a much tougher climb!

They re-sanitize Belcher frequently. Seems like they run a
bulldozer up the trail at least once a year. God only
knows why.

And last summer they totally re-routed the lower section
of Belcher into a sinewy hardpack singletrack. As much as
I hate the sanitizers, this new section of trail is pretty
fun on the way down. It's twisty, narrow, hardpacked, and
fast. The old section was pretty straight, wide, bumpy,
and faster.

Mark

Per Löwdin wrote:
>>Looks pretty smooth and fast to me, why would you need to
>>learn to clear
>
> it?
>
> Is not that pretty obvious from Mark´s post: but in case
> it is not, I´ll spell it out, it is a pretty challenging
> trail, some bits are rather difficult and take some
> learning to handle neatly.

Looks pretty smooth and buff to me.

Greg

"Shawn Curry" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet

> Sure, and I understand why it was done, but a lot of the
> charm (read: technical difficulty) was removed. Do you
> still have to swerve around the boulders in the sand at
> the Hwy 93 entrance to White Ranch? Always liked that
> part. :)

There is a section that fits the description at the
beginning of the trail. The Belcher trail is still a
strenuous climb but not particularly difficult, great fun in
descent. We experienced White Ranch pretty much like a park,
all trails are signed and maintained, plenty of prey for mt
lions, and visiting hours that make our Swedish nanny state
appear liberal, etc. With so many people living close by I
guess that is the way is has to be. The people of Golden and
Denver are darn lucky to have such a nice MTB area so close.

Per http://lowdin.nu

"Shawn Curry"
> > Do you still have to swerve around the boulders in the
> > sand at the Hwy 93 entrance to White Ranch? Always liked
> > that part. :)

Yes, Per is right. That section is still there and just as
fun. BUT, I was talking to a ranger last summer who
mentioned they might be removing all the obstacles there
soon so that they can get emergency vehicles up the trail.
What a ridiculous concept.

"Per Löwdin"
> visiting hours that make our Swedish nanny state appear
> liberal.

Actually, I never knew the park officially closes at
6:00. I've ridden there after work many, many times.
Often we get back to the car well after dark, and it's
never been a problem.

> The people of Golden and Denver are darn lucky to have
> such a nice MTB area so close.

You got that right! White Ranch is my favorite place to ride
on the FR.

Mark

"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Per Löwdin wrote:
> >>Looks pretty smooth and fast to me, why would you need
> >>to learn to clear
> >
> > it?
> >
> > Is not that pretty obvious from Mark´s post: but in case
> > it is not, I´ll spell it out, it is a pretty challenging
> > trail, some bits are rather difficult and take some
> > learning to handle neatly.
> >

> Looks pretty smooth and buff to me.

Why don't you keep the comments about his ass private.

"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Per Löwdin wrote:
> >>Looks pretty smooth and fast to me, why would you need
> >>to learn to clear it?
> >
> > Is not that pretty obvious from Mark´s post: but in case
> > it is not, I´ll spell it out, it is a pretty challenging
> > trail, some bits are rather difficult and take some
> > learning to handle neatly.
> >

> Looks pretty smooth and buff to me.
>
> Greg

Greg, you are absolutely right. It does look smooth and buff
in those photos. Next time you're in Colorado, drop me a
line. We'll do Dakota Ridge and if you can clean the whole
trail first shot I'll buy you a beer. Make that a whole case
of your favorite, in fact.

Cheers!

Mark