How to tell the Difference? C Record, Croce D'Aune, Chorus?

1

19wisconsin64

Guest
Hi, Are there any websites that have pictures of these
different groups? I have started collecting late 80's/early
90's Campagnolo components, and am having trouble figuring
out the differences in the rear derailleurs and cranksets. I
recently bought a bike that I thought was full C Record (a
late 80's Ciocc), but after looking at the Campy-Only
website found that the Delta brakes were really Croce
D'Aune. Not to complain, but I'd really like to learn the
subtle difference. I've noticed that different iterations of
C-Record have either fully covered rear derailleur bottom
jockey housings or "open" bottom jockey housings. Also, the
Ciocc came with a rear derailleur that did not have the
"rod". I have since purchased one, but still have to ask;
Did the Croce D'Aune rear derailleur also come in different
designs? I'd like to learn how to become better educated
about these parts, and need some direction here. Thanks in
advance for your advice! Dave ---"What?!? It's not the
eighties anymore?!?"---

david-<< Are there any websites that have pictures of these
different groups? >><BR><BR>

http://www.velo-retro.com

has repros of catalogs...

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

[email protected] (19wisconsin64) writes:

>Hi, Are there any websites that have pictures of these
>different groups? I have started collecting late 80's/early
>90's Campagnolo components, and am having trouble figuring
>out the differences in the rear derailleurs and cranksets.

You are a good candidate for the classic rendezvous mailing
list. check out www.bikelist.org / archives / Classic
Rendezvous. The topic of this group is all things about
bicycles 20 or more years old. It is run by Dale Brown,
bikeshop owner of Cycles D'Oro in North Carolina. The only
rule is that people be civil to one another (as if you are a
guest in Dale's living room), and that you focus on the
topic - bicycles 20 or more years old.

There are 3 great reference websites for such information --

http://www.classicrendezvous.com - describes old
components of all types

http://www.bulgier.net - has a TON of old catalogs.
You may even find your Ciocc and a page that lists
componentry.

http://www.campyonly.com - timeline page has links to
campy grouppo and catalog pictures

- Don Gillies San Diego, CA

19wisconsin64 wrote:

> I recently bought a bike that I thought was full C
> Record (a late 80's Ciocc), but after looking at the
> Campy-Only website found that the Delta brakes were
> really Croce D'Aune. Not to complain, but I'd really
> like to learn the subtle difference.

Might depend on the year. I remember one of the mail-order
catalogs of the day claiming that this year's less expensive
group had some of the same parts as last year's more
expensive group. Unfortunatly, I don't remember details. I
seem to recall that Croce D'Aune was involved somehow, but
that could have been when it was phased out, some of it's
parts became Chorus.

david-<< Are there any websites that have pictures of these
different groups? >><BR><BR>

Chuck Schmidt has repros of applicable catalogs. http://www.velo-
retro.com

David<< Did the Croce D'Aune rear derailleur also come in
different designs? >><BR><BR>

No, the only CDA rear der had the rod...