Suggestions for a Diabetics Pot-Luck Dinner

Bob

Guest
I know that you all have some favorite suggestions for food
to share at a pot-luck dinner and am hoping you will share
them with me. I run a support group and we are going to have
a pot-luck dinner and I am looking for some suggestions as
to what I can recommend that some of the members bring. What
kind of meal items would you suggest? Thanks for your help
with this!

Bob

On Tue, 25 May 2004 17:01:43 -0400, "Bob" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I know that you all have some favorite suggestions for food
>to share at a pot-luck dinner and am hoping you will share
>them with me. I run a support group and we are going to
>have a pot-luck dinner and I am looking for some
>suggestions as to what I can recommend that some of the
>members bring. What kind of meal items would you suggest?
>Thanks for your help with this!
>
> Bob

Hi Bob.

I'm not quite sure what a pot-luck dinner is (sounds like
our "bring a plate"), but assuming you are supposed to take
a main course or some form of snack:

1. Casseroles, any sort using more meat than carbs. For
example, beef burgundy, chicken fricassee, hungarian
goulash, curries etc. Modify the recipes where necessary.
Careful with the side dishes - preferrably no rice or use
low GI types like basmati. Small portions of pita or naan
bread may be OK.

2. Various salads - garden, green, greek etc. Make up low-
carb dressings with oil, vinegars, herbs, aromatics
etc. Add the dressing on arrival so they don't get
soggy. Can be combined with cold meats (chicken, ham,
tuna, salmon, etc).

3. Cheese platters instread of dessert - an assortment of
cheeses , garnished with a few olives, capsicum (bell
pepper) strips, onion slices. Serve with lo-carb
crackers or skewered on toothpicks.

4. Dips - guacamole, cheese dips, hommus, tahini (check
recipes for carb content), served with asparagus
spears, capsicum strips, carrot strips, celery strips
etc for dipping.

Just some thoughts

Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia. Remove weight and
carbs to email.

On Wed, 26 May 2004 09:11:39 +1000, Alan
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 25 May 2004 17:01:43 -0400, "Bob"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I know that you all have some favorite suggestions for
>>food to share at a pot-luck dinner and am hoping you will
>>share them with me. I run a support group and we are going
>>to have a pot-luck dinner and I am looking for some
>>suggestions as to what I can recommend that some of the
>>members bring. What kind of meal items would you suggest?
>>Thanks for your help with this!
>>
>> Bob
>>

>Hi Bob.
>
>I'm not quite sure what a pot-luck dinner is (sounds like
>our "bring a plate"), but assuming you are supposed to take
>a main course or some form of snack:
>
>1. Casseroles, any sort using more meat than carbs. For
> example, beef burgundy, chicken fricassee, hungarian
> goulash, curries etc. Modify the recipes where
> necessary. Careful with the side dishes - preferrably no
> rice or use low GI types like basmati. Small portions of
> pita or naan bread may be OK.
>
>2. Various salads - garden, green, greek etc. Make up low-
> carb dressings with oil, vinegars, herbs, aromatics
> etc. Add the dressing on arrival so they don't get
> soggy. Can be combined with cold meats (chicken, ham,
> tuna, salmon, etc).
>
>3. Cheese platters instread of dessert - an assortment of
> cheeses , garnished with a few olives, capsicum (bell
> pepper) strips, onion slices. Serve with lo-carb
> crackers or skewered on toothpicks.
>
>4. Dips - guacamole, cheese dips, hommus, tahini (check
> recipes for carb content), served with asparagus spears,
> capsicum strips, carrot strips, celery strips etc for
> dipping.
>
>Just some thoughts
>
>Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia. Remove weight and carbs
>to email.

Hi Bob again

PS. I just realised that I had made the incorrect assumption
that they would want to eat low-carb, because that's
part of my control.

As we are all very different, including those IDDM who need
carbs to balance insulin etc, maybe a suggestion would be
for the attendees to indicate the carb content of the things
they bring with a small placard or sign.

It may even be an interesting exercise for those preparing
the food to have to work it out.

Bob wrote in message ...
>I know that you all have some favorite suggestions for food
>to share at a pot-luck dinner and am hoping you will share
>them with me. I run a support group and we are going to
>have a pot-luck dinner and I am looking for some
>suggestions as to what I can recommend that some of the
>members bring. What kind of meal items would you suggest?
>Thanks for your help with this!
>
> Bob

I always bring a low-carb beef stew to these functions.
Go heavy on mushrooms and onions, light on carrots, and
substitute turnips for the potatoes. Mine works out to
about 12 gram carb per serving, (40% from the carrots
and onions).

I cut my turnips into 1/2 inch cubes and simmer at least 1
hour after adding the turnips.

Regards
Old Al

oldal4865 wrote:

We took a large platter of Sashimi and Sushi with all the
proper
condiments. That was well received as was the baked Tofu
and Sunomono.

"Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I know that you all have some favorite suggestions for
> food to share at a pot-luck dinner and am hoping you will
> share them with me. I run a support group and we are going
> to have a pot-luck dinner and I am looking for some
> suggestions as to what I can recommend that some of the
> members bring.
What
> kind of meal items would you suggest? Thanks for your help
> with this!

Green salad, raw veggie platter, cheese plate, deviled eggs,
any vegetable dish that's low in carbs, lasagna made with
less pasta and more veggies.

--
Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Alan, I wanted to thank you for your input into the very
successful pot-luck dinner that my diabetes support group
held last Monday. Your suggestion that folks bring tent
cards indicating carbs, etc. went over very well considering
that almost everybody included a recipe also. Again thanks
for the only response I received from my post.

"Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 26 May 2004 09:11:39 +1000, Alan
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 25 May 2004 17:01:43 -0400, "Bob"
> ><[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>I know that you all have some favorite suggestions for
> >>food to share at a pot-luck dinner and am hoping you
> >>will share them with me. I run a support group and we
> >>are going to have a pot-luck dinner and I am looking for
> >>some suggestions as to what I can recommend that some of
> >>the members bring.
What
> >>kind of meal items would you suggest? Thanks for your
> >>help with this!
> >>
> >> Bob
> >>

> >Hi Bob.
> >
> >I'm not quite sure what a pot-luck dinner is (sounds like
> >our "bring a plate"), but assuming you are supposed to
> >take a main course or some form of snack:
> >
> >1. Casseroles, any sort using more meat than carbs. For
> > example, beef burgundy, chicken fricassee, hungarian
> > goulash, curries etc. Modify the recipes where
> > necessary. Careful with the side dishes - preferrably
> > no rice or use low GI types like basmati. Small
> > portions of pita or naan bread may be OK.
> >
> >2. Various salads - garden, green, greek etc. Make up low-
> > carb dressings with oil, vinegars, herbs, aromatics
> > etc. Add the dressing on arrival so they don't get
> > soggy. Can be combined with cold meats (chicken, ham,
> > tuna, salmon, etc).
> >
> >3. Cheese platters instread of dessert - an assortment
> > of cheeses , garnished with a few olives, capsicum
> > (bell pepper) strips, onion slices. Serve with lo-
> > carb crackers or skewered on toothpicks.
> >
> >4. Dips - guacamole, cheese dips, hommus, tahini (check
> > recipes for carb content), served with asparagus
> > spears, capsicum strips, carrot strips, celery strips
> > etc for dipping.
> >
> >Just some thoughts
> >
> >Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia. Remove weight and carbs
> >to email.
>
> Hi Bob again
>
> PS. I just realised that I had made the incorrect
> assumption that they would want to eat low-carb,
> because that's part of my control.
>
> As we are all very different, including those IDDM who
> need carbs to balance insulin etc, maybe a suggestion
> would be for the attendees to indicate the carb content of
> the things they bring with a small placard or sign.
>
> It may even be an interesting exercise for those preparing
> the food to have to work it out.
>
> Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia. Remove weight and carbs
> to email.
> --
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:42:34 -0400, "Bob" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Alan, I wanted to thank you for your input into the very
>successful pot-luck dinner that my diabetes support group
>held last Monday. Your suggestion that folks bring tent
>cards indicating carbs, etc. went over very well
>considering that almost everybody included a recipe also.
>Again thanks for the only response I received from my post.

Well, thanks for the thanks. Glad you had a good time :)

You may need to check your settings on your newsreader.
OldAl, DontSpamme and Julie Bove also responded to you.